Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When can I have some rice? Lol

20 hours ago, dpendleton02 said:

I don’t know why, but I really want some rice. Can anyone tell me when they tried rice, how it went, etc? You can’t really chew rice so, it scares me a bit. Thanks!

All plans are different. Trust your medical professional before anyone’s opinion. Eat what’s on your plan. Don’t try to reinvent the wheel.

No ones plan is better than anyone elses. *eye roll*🙄.... No one on this forum or in the USA is on a “NO CARB diet” Carbs sources may look different on each plan. Many of us are successful on our dietitian’s low carb plan. I have no reason to bash any medical professional’s bariatric instructions.

We are adults, choose how strict or lax you want to work your plan. These choices will affect your weight loss surgery outcome.

Things to think about:

Are your food choices slowing/stopping your weight loss?

Are extra carbs and real sugar causing cravings/hunger?

Are you able to stop at one indulgence item - will you continue to make it an entire meal or eat over your calories?

Can you keep food items/choices and stay within your calorie/protein/carb goals?

My maintenance food plan looks much different than weight loss mode. I eat low glycemic carbs to slow/stop my weight loss, (Sweet potato, brown rice whole wheat breads and Pasta nothing white or processed). Rice expands in the stomach and bloats me. I’d rathe have other carb sources.

Call it what you want, We are all on a “restricted diet”. We are eating within our weight loss/maintaining calories and macro’s. Not sure why dietitians’ plans are so controversial.

Thank you to all who answered my question without a sermon attached. Simply put, the information supplied by my surgeon didn’t address rice. I never said I was going to sit down and gorge on rice, but rather, I wanted to know when I could safely eat a small spoonful with my Protein or it could be incorporated into a recipe.

2 hours ago, dpendleton02 said:

Thank you to all who answered my question without a sermon attached. Simply put, the information supplied by my surgeon didn’t address rice. I never said I was going to sit down and gorge on rice, but rather, I wanted to know when I could safely eat a small spoonful with my Protein or it could be incorporated into a recipe.

I think rice was the first real carby thing I tried. I was probably 4 months out and had no problems. I still eat rice, rice pilaf, and brown rice on occasion. I still limit it to 2-3 tablespoons. I am the type of person who has to add something starchy at times to stay sane. I just avoid potatoes and white bread because I love them too much.

On 7/6/2019 at 5:37 PM, justmetj said:

I miss rice so much. My team says not to have it for six months along with bread and all other starchy carbs. I'm also wondering how it will sit with my stomach.

I miss caaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrbbbbbbbsss!

I actually miss corn more than rice but I love rice too.

On 7/6/2019 at 5:37 PM, justmetj said:

I miss rice so much. My team says not to have it for six months along with bread and all other starchy carbs. I'm also wondering how it will sit with my stomach.

in a few days it has been 6 months out for me..

I was allowed mashed potatoes from the start. I keep my carbs under 159 grams my Protein at least 60 grams and my calories under 1,300. I’ve mostly kept off 100 pounds. I do stray sometimes and then I gain weight. As soon as I pay attention to what I’m eating I lose again.’other wise I try to eat slot of veggies, some of my starch as fruit and not be too strict with myself because then I want to binge.

Ive been able to eat rice, bread and Pasta almost as soon as I was given the green light on regular food. I have also only lost 80 pounds in 10 months. I wish now that my team had been more restrictive and banned these things as I might have had a different result. I do feel like a failure seeing other people lose tons of weight much faster than I have. I dont pig out on this stuff but I also have never had the blessing of reduced hunger so I'm hungry every 2 hours. Its just infuriating honestly. I would like to have reached my goal by now. It really sucks that i havent

15 minutes ago, jasmineinmymind said:

Ive been able to eat rice, bread and Pasta almost as soon as I was given the green light on regular food. I have also only lost 80 pounds in 10 months. I wish now that my team had been more restrictive and banned these things as I might have had a different result. I do feel like a failure seeing other people lose tons of weight much faster than I have. I dont pig out on this stuff but I also have never had the blessing of reduced hunger so I'm hungry every 2 hours. Its just infuriating honestly. I would like to have reached my goal by now. It really sucks that i havent

I don't think your team banning or not banning foods is the issue. It's up to you what you put in your mouth, no matter what's on your plan.

I'm 7 weeks out and I have hunger too but I'm working through it. It's possible. And you're not done either! You can reset your stomach or go back to basics or increase your exercise!

51 minutes ago, jasmineinmymind said:

I have also only lost 80 pounds in 10 months. [...] I do feel like a failure seeing other people lose tons of weight much faster than I have. 

You have lost only 80 lbs in 10 months?

The perception of what is losing weight fast and losing weight slow is really screwed on this board.

I would like to have reached my goal by now. It really sucks that i havent

Or you would have already joined the I've-fallen-of-the-wagon-HEEEEEEEEELP!!!!! crowd already.

Your BMI is already as low as 27. So you haven't reached your "goal" (I guess that's reaching this magical BMI of 24.9 and lower) after 10 months. So what? It will take you some weeks more? Big deal.

I don’t know why, but I really want some rice. Can anyone tell me when they tried rice, how it went, etc? You can’t really chew rice so, it scares me a bit. Thanks!

According to my book from class I can have cream of rice 14-27 days post op but, of course I'd get with your surgeons office and ask them!

Sent from my VS987 using BariatricPal mobile app

i tried some rice with small portions of beef first time after surgery some 6 and a half months later lets just say 6 or 7 spoons and i was full ... i use to remember before surgery eating a whole plate of rice and meat and never feeling full lol...

I was told no rice, bread, Pasta etc for at least 3 months. I made cauliflower rice and stir fried it with some soy sauce, rice vinegar, some frozen veggies, and my kids thought it was actual fried rice.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

The reason people crave rice and other grains are because they release serotonin, resultant in essentially mimickng opioids in your brain. It is an incredible fundamental drive in most mammals.

You/we crave them, as our body knows it is the best way to store nutrition.

#fightthecarbs :)