Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greetings Everyone,

I’m new to the app and group. I am scheduled for surgery on July 16th and have to complete a three week pre-op diet. This has been tough, especially since I’m experiencing headaches. Any advice for me. Tomorrow is the second cookout I will be attending and I am deathly afraid. The first cookout, I did well but since I’ve been craving food these last couple of days, it’s been challenging.

1 hour ago, chrissy121087 said:

Greetings Everyone,

I’m new to the app and group. I am scheduled for surgery on July 16th and have to complete a three week pre-op diet. This has been tough, especially since I’m experiencing headaches. Any advice for me. Tomorrow is the second cookout I will be attending and I am deathly afraid. The first cookout, I did well but since I’ve been craving food these last couple of days, it’s been challenging.

Our surgery dates are close (July 15th) and I am also on a three-week liquid diet. It is such a struggle. I actually have just declined a few outings. I am sending you extra strength prayers. We are almost there!!!

Thank you! I’m sending prayers and positive energy to you too. Making dinner for my husband and son has been such a challenge. I accidentally licked the back of the spoon of guacamole when I made it yesterday. I immediately drank Water and a shake. It’s a old habit. However, I did so well at a 4th of July cookout yesterday in which they had everything I wanted to eat. Thank you again and you are so right, we’ve got this.

My surgery is the 15th. I told my nutritionist I was worried I’d cheat on the liquid diet (2 week) and they were able to accommodate me by changing mine up to allow a little food. However with that being said I have chosen to miss my family’s get togethers for the holiday because I was worried I would be to tempted. Feel free to message me if you need someone to talk to if you’re tempted to eat. You’re almost to your surgery date just have to stay strong a little longer.

Thank you so much. I’m praying for your surgery too. It really hasn’t been too bad but that temptation troubles me. I do intend to go and take my shakes with me and pray through the process. I don’t want to miss out on seeing my family because of the pre-eating. The plus of all of it, is that I have lost 15 pounds already. That tells me there is light at the end of the tunnel. The same as you have offered me, if you need someone to talk to, please feel free to send me a message

Yes I think you need to make decision for yourself Just to put off a few cookouts at this stage to make sure you don't mess it up...

Hi. I’m about to start my pre op diet. Tomorrow actually. Basically, sh*t just got real and I’m freaking out a bit! I’m doing the milk and Jello diet but I don’t know how much jello I’m actually allowed per day so I could have screwed it up before even starting!
Sleeve is booked for July 24th.

Pre op is the easy part. It has to be ok in the brain. Ask yourself do I want quality of life? Being off insulin since surgery almost 6 weeks ago is better than any food tastes. After surgery you look at food as fuel. You are breaking up with fun food. Eat to live not live to eat. Physically you won’t be able to digest the bad food so mentally get your head right. Seek counseling

10 minutes ago, Akeem said:

Pre op is the easy part. It has to be ok in the brain. Ask yourself do I want quality of life? Being off insulin since surgery almost 6 weeks ago is better than any food tastes. After surgery you look at food as fuel. You are breaking up with fun food. Eat to live not live to eat. Physically you won’t be able to digest the bad food so mentally get your head right. Seek counseling

You are so right if you're worried about missing out on certain foods then you're not ready for surgery. You're not ready for a new life or a better life.

I'm going for the RNY myself and hope that food becomes just fuel and I lose the cravings. I want to eat only to live.

I want to lose the diabetes and live a good life and never eat junk again!!!

I think some folks missed the point I was trying to make. I almost regret posting up this now. A challenge is normal. I love family gatherings but again, I was craving foods, which I hadn’t during this pre-op and I found it challenging. I did rather well. I had my shakes and drank my Water and enjoyed my family. Didn’t even think about cheating. To others who find it challenging, there is hope.

I think some folks missed the point I was trying to make. I almost regret posting up this now. A challenge is normal. I love family gatherings but again, I was craving foods, which I hadn’t during this pre-op and I found it challenging. I did rather well. I had my shakes and drank my Water and enjoyed my family. Didn’t even think about cheating. To others who find it challenging, there is hope.
I agree - it's so challenging! My surgery is on 7/17. I'm on day 5 of a 2 week liquid diet - and it's been a test for sure! The evenings are always the hardest so going for a walk or taking a bubble bath or simply to bed has helped. Pho (just the broth) has also helped as a savory meal since the shakes are so sweet. I wanted a glass of wine so I'm doing a Premier Protein Clear Peach slushie in a fancy glass. 🤷‍♀️ Whatever works, right? Stick with it - we got this! It'll be so worth it! Oh and a SN: just because it's challenging doesn't mean you aren't ready! Most things worth having are worth working for!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Good luck! Your surgery date is getting closer! How are you feeling knowing surgery is right around the corner?

I’ll only have a 2 day liquid diet. I wasn’t sure how long at first, so I prepared myself by doing a liquid diet myself for a week.