Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my personal little official thread

10 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

Yes, I love Dr. Oviedo. He is the most compassionate, caring doctor I have had. I do not like Dr. Glembot at all. I've had him respond as the surgeon on-call when I had some post-op complications and it was always a terrible experience. Most recently (like 3 weeks ago) he diagnosed me as having an ulcer OVER THE PHONE to the ER Department when really I had a herniated disc in my back. You will love Dr. Oviedo! I had some post-op complications and he would always rush to be at my bedside after he was finished for the day and insisted on seeing me personally for followups instead of the nurse practitioner, which is usually the case. I was the first robotic RNY patient at Winchester and he always called me his "favorite perfect patient" even though I was far from perfect. LOL

I have an appointment with the dietitian there next Monday and it would be nice to see him again since I haven't since February. Sucks you don't see the surgeon anymore and they never see your progress.

Thank you so much ❤️ I haven't seen or met anyone else who has had him as a surgeon yet, so it's a big relief to hear you love him so much! LOL I am sure you were the perfect patient!

I am so sorry for the post-op complications and your experiences with Dr. Glembot, that's such a bummer to hear about him. My patient navigator told me I would very likely prefer Dr. Oviedo over Glembot if I prefer a nicer doctor 😂 I thought it was odd that all of my post-op visits are scheduled with Rick, but I guess that's not surprising given how busy they are, it's just a bit disappointing.

Thanks again for letting me butt in! Hope your plastics journey goes amazingly, can't wait to see how it goes!

4 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

Yes, I am having muscle tightening. My surgeon said it was standard with a TT after massive weight loss since your visceral fat sort of pushes all of your muscles away from where they should be and then they get all droopy. So it's like an internal corset for a while to get them back to where they should be. #6packabs He said I will be walking hunched over for a while, even with a binder.

My surgeon gave me the option. Because I haven't had children, he didn't deem it absolutely necessary. I opted for it, despite the pain, in order to have the best results possible, in particular narrowing my waist.

I also heard the hunched over position, and the pain. And that hunching over also causes back pain. I'm honestly not looking forward to that part at all.

Congrats!

On 10/7/2019 at 12:37 PM, sillykitty said:

Are you having muscle tightening? My understanding is that is by far the most painful part of a TT.

I had a TT back in 1999 and the muscles are really painful, for a few weeks at least I couldn't stand up straight because it was so tight.

I am getting really nervous. On Sept. 21 I suffered a small disc herniation and multiple torn muscles in my abdomen and back. My abdomen has been healed for a while now, but I am in physical therapy for my back. I still have a lot of pain on my thoracic spine and muscle soreness. I have 3 weeks until my TT. I am worried the immobilization from the binder coupled with the muscle repair is going to KILL my back. I have my pre-op next Monday and will discuss this then. I called a week ago and the surgeon said "it will just be more uncomfortable for me but I can still do it". =/

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had a TT back in 1999 and the muscles are really painful, for a few weeks at least I couldn't stand up straight because it was so tight.
Are you supposed to try to stand up straight to loosen everything up, or stay hunched over until fully healed?

I completely understand. Work can be tough when it comes to time off. I hope you only need 2.5 weeks!! I feel like if you're tough enough to let them chop off skin awake in the office, you'll probably be doing great after 2.5 weeks. I'm only taking a handful of days off for my revision, which should be fine, but I am fully confident if I need more days or end up having plastics, I'll be fired, which could be a blessing after all.
Also, sorry to hijack your thread but Dr. Oviedo is going to be my surgeon too! Do you like him? I literally have not met him. Dr. Glembot was going to be my surgeon, but he's booked out into late November and my insurance will no longer cover bariatric surgery come November 1, so they went into scramble mode to get me on the schedule in October. I won't even meet him until the day before surgery, so I'm a bit nervous about that. I'm just going to trust that he is competent and hope our personalities mesh well. [emoji2]

P.S. I don't know if you know who Trogdor is, but if your dragon tattoo ends up just being a head and a tail, you could potentially turn it into Trogdor!
How was Dr. Oviedo?

13 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

I am getting really nervous. On Sept. 21 I suffered a small disc herniation and multiple torn muscles in my abdomen and back. My abdomen has been healed for a while now, but I am in physical therapy for my back. I still have a lot of pain on my thoracic spine and muscle soreness. I have 3 weeks until my TT. I am worried the immobilization from the binder coupled with the muscle repair is going to KILL my back. I have my pre-op next Monday and will discuss this then. I called a week ago and the surgeon said "it will just be more uncomfortable for me but I can still do it". =/

Can you postpone the surgery? Would you have more PTO available if you did so?

12 hours ago, sillykitty said:

Can you postpone the surgery? Would you have more PTO available if you did so?

Theoretically, yes. BUT, apparently FMLA does not have to be approved for cosmetic surgeries. I recently got a warning that if I used ANY more sick leave, I would be fired. I missed a lot of work this year due to bariatric complications and most recently my back injury, and didn't know enough about FMLA to know I should have requested those issues be covered so they weren't. They had already approved the FMLA for these dates and if I go and change the dates and ask for new FMLA forms to be completed, I am 100% sure they would deny it. I am going to really go over all this next Monday with the plastic surgeon. I also have an appointment scheduled with my rheumatologist on December 6th, the Friday before I would be returning to work post-op, in case I move forward with the surgery but am still in pain. He would be able to prescribe antiinflammatories or something else to hopefully get me through.

14 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

Are you supposed to try to stand up straight to loosen everything up, or stay hunched over until fully healed?

Eventually you will work your way into standing straight up. I don't remember (was 20 years ago) if I was to try and stand straighter but I think it just happened eventually.

I'm reading that the muscle repair can help with herniated discs and back pain by providing core stabilization and strength and better posture. That would be swell. LOL. I am so anxious for my pre-op Monday! SO many questions.

On 10/28/2019 at 8:32 PM, mousecat88 said:

How was Dr. Oviedo?

Dr. Oviedo was really nice. I really didn't get a whole lot of time with him, but I knew I was fine with him doing my surgery once I met him. I've had complications with an elevated heart rate, but that's not his fault, just my crazy body marching to the beat of it's own drum.

I hope your pre-op today goes well and you get all of your quesitons answered!!

Just got done pre-op! My plastic surgeon is so thrilled with my weight loss and working out. He said it has made his job a lot easier. It is likely he won't need to suture my muscles very much because I have a strong core. He also said since I have virtually no fat on my abdomen, which is rare for a bypass patient, that it's doubtful I will need much, if any, Lipo of my flanks and it should be a super easy recovery for me since it's basically ALL skin and nothing else. Having no fat makes the moving of your belly button a lot simpler and less prone to complication. I am stoookkkeeddd. I've lost 10lbs since I first consulted with him and he noticed immediately.

He said within 4 weeks I should be back at yoga. lol. But NO weights for 8 weeks. He said after week 1 I need to start stretching. And I should be off pain meds within 5 days. AMA!

One thing I forgot about a TT is that since they lift and rearrange your skin you may have numbness. I had mine in 1999 and ever since I cannot feel my skin or belly button! I am so happy for you, sounds like this will be easy and can't wait to see pictures!