Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Astrid, I'm new too and my surgery is in September also. My family is not all on board with my surgery. I did bringing my mother to my 2nd consult and had my husband on speaker phone. When they heard the doctor talk about how this operation would help some major health issues they see the logic. My mother gets scared when I measure my food and does not think it's enough. I am not even telling my son because he thinks I can lose weight with diet and exercise. It's not just about weight ... it's about being healthy. I would love to have RNY buddy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi nikkilee72,
I'm so sorry, I've only just seen this.
I had some progress with my mum last weekend. She at least sat and talked about it. She feels of all of them I should go with the sleeve. Her arguement was the 'replumbing' isn't natural and is messing too much with nature .... like having 80% of your stomach completely removed is natural?! 🤦‍♀️ Bless.
I'm sticking with RNY. This is for me and I have to do what I feel is right.
Do you think you will tell your son eventually?
RNY buddy sounds great! Very happy with that

Sent from my SM-G965F using BariatricPal mobile app

Im European based as well and even though my surgery has been covered by the public health care system, the information hasnt been quite as detailed as that from the States. But like many have already pointed out..this forum is great for support and filling in the blanks when we all have questions (or just want to rant about our bariatric life).
Likewise, mine is being done through NHS. I'm pretty happy with the information I've had from them. We had to attend education sessions to help prepare psychologically and physically. There are certain criteria you need to meet before they put you forward. Between that and this I'm relatively happy with what to expect. I'm certain there will be us and downs but hopefully it will be worth it.

On 7/10/2019 at 4:00 PM, allies journey said:

Hey Krestel,

Have you had surgery yet?

I'm having RNY revision surgery on July 16th and can't wait for it to be done. My reflux is so much worse than it was before I had sleeve surgery on October 25th 2016 .

Hopefully you are doing great.

Have an awesome day.

Allie in SC (South Carolina)

Yes, I had my surgery on May 27th and am back to a new "normal". Im still figuring out food, but seem to have a pouch of steel. The only "problems" that ive had (which arnt all that serious) was the damn laproscopic gas pains in my right shoulder post-surgery, my bladder not getting restarted until a week after the surgery, and me stupidly enough taking a double dose of Vitamins. I really stand in wonder at how modern medicine works nowadays.

Hi Astrid

I am uk based aswell. I am 3 months post sleeve op but due to get revision to bypass in about September due to acid reflux making it soooooo difficult to eat and drink. I only told about 3 people about op and they have been very supportive. I dont tell anyone as people are very judgemental. If they think its the easy way to lose weight they are seriously wrong lol.

Good luck with surgery and I know you will be successful in your weight loss journey

On 7/12/2019 at 5:30 PM, Astrid05 said:

Hi nikkilee72,
I'm so sorry, I've only just seen this.
I had some progress with my mum last weekend. She at least sat and talked about it. She feels of all of them I should go with the sleeve. Her arguement was the 'replumbing' isn't natural and is messing too much with nature .... like having 80% of your stomach completely removed is natural?! 🤦‍♀️ Bless.
I'm sticking with RNY. This is for me and I have to do what I feel is right.
Do you think you will tell your son eventually?
RNY buddy sounds great! Very happy with that

Hello Astrid,

I did tell my son. He is a little frustrated by my decision but he said it was my body and life. I do believe once I get back to my normal size he won't be upset about anything. I brought my mom to my doctor's appointment and now she understands how this is my best option considering my diabetes. I was only 108 lbs when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I also recently sent out for genetic testing and found that my upper small intestine has a probably with incretins that regulate insulin so that was an affirmation for me. I am very nervous, actually scared out of my mind, but I am more scared about my diabetes. I am waiting for everything to clear with my insurance.

Hello Astrid,
I did tell my son. He is a little frustrated by my decision but he said it was my body and life. I do believe once I get back to my normal size he won't be upset about anything. I brought my mom to my doctor's appointment and now she understands how this is my best option considering my diabetes. I was only 108 lbs when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I also recently sent out for genetic testing and found that my upper small intestine has a probably with incretins that regulate insulin so that was an affirmation for me. I am very nervous, actually scared out of my mind, but I am more scared about my diabetes. I am waiting for everything to clear with my insurance.
Hey Nikkilee72

Good to hear back.
I wonder if because it's such a lengthy process for those of us going through it we kind of become a bit more hardened to it. Family and friends dont think about it day in day out like we do I guess.
I think you're right in that once he starts to see the benefits for your health he will feel better about it.
I initially felt very let down by my mum but I've tried thinking about it from her perspective too and though it hasnt deterred me I understand her concerns.
Diabeties sucks. It's my main concern also. Mine was a combination of bad diet and genetics. Fingers crossed the surgery will have a positive impact for you :-) That was my main reason for RNY though my surgeon has said the sleeve can be just as good for remission.
Carbs and sugar are my downfall, this was my other reason for going for RNY.
Do you have a ball park date yet? I've had the official letterl to say september sometime but no date as yet.
Keep in touch :-) Would be great to hear how you're getting on.

Hi I am a newbie I had my surgery last week Tuesday July 16 .. I am having some problems.. I am so hungry all the time no matter how much Protein and Water I drink I am still hungry.. I have been so depressed and have been regretting doing this surgery.. I feel like shit all the time .. I really feel like something went wrong in surgery I feel like I shouldn’t be this hungry all the time .. I am just so sad I feel like I Failed already .. I NEED SOME HELP!!

Hi I am a newbie I had my surgery last week Tuesday July 16 .. I am having some problems.. I am so hungry all the time no matter how much Protein and Water I drink I am still hungry.. I have been so depressed and have been regretting doing this surgery.. I feel like **** all the time .. I really feel like something went wrong in surgery I feel like I shouldn’t be this hungry all the time .. I am just so sad I feel like I Failed already .. I NEED SOME HELP!!
Hello. Are you sure it is hunger and not an acidy feeling in your pouch? Are you on a proton pump inhibitor? liquids won't fill you up. Once you can have things like yogurt you will feel better. Please try not to be depressed. You only just had surgery. You need to give your body time to heal. Hood times are ahead. I promise!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Advanced issues found
5 hours ago, Astrid05 said:

Hey Nikkilee72

Good to hear back.
I wonder if because it's such a lengthy process for those of us going through it we kind of become a bit more hardened to it. Family and friends dont think about it day in day out like we do I guess.
I think you're right in that once he starts to see the benefits for your health he will feel better about it.
I initially felt very let down by my mum but I've tried thinking about it from her perspective too and though it hasnt deterred me I understand her concerns.
Diabeties sucks. It's my main concern also. Mine was a combination of bad diet and genetics. Fingers crossed the surgery will have a positive impact for you 🙂 That was my main reason for RNY though my surgeon has said the sleeve can be just as good for remission.
Carbs and sugar are my downfall, this was my other reason for going for RNY.
Do you have a ball park date yet? I've had the official letterl to say september sometime but no date as yet.
Keep in touch 🙂 Would be great to hear how you're getting on.

My ballpark date is the first week of September. Diabetes does suck. I'll never forget the ay my doctor looked when I went into his office for my follow up from getting my results from my blood work the first time. I really thought I was going to tell me I had cancer. I really never struggled too much with my weight. I weighed 94lbs until my mid 20's. Then I was 120 until I got pregnant with my son. After I had him I weighed 170lbs. I worked out and lost it. Only weighed a 130lbs when I gave birth and lost last as well, and my third one got huge and lost that. I was hanging around at 108 lbs for years. I walk in my doctor looks at me and then at the results rubs his hands over his face, shaking his head with the perplexed look on his face. He tells me my cholesterol was 398 and my fasting blood sugar was 400 something. I had a hysterectomy in 2010 gained some weight after that surgery. I had to move myself and my kids from on military base from the East coast to the midwest. My husband was deployed. Me, 3 kids (15yrs, 12yrs, and 8yrs old at the time) 3 cats, and a dog in a minivan. Needless to say, I was at the hotel bar drinking a few adult beverages after 10+ hours driving. Alcohol has way too many calories. I gained weight from that and then the big one was I broke my ankle in April of 2018. I could not walk and they could not find the break. I went all summer and a 10 day trip to Disney World on a broken ankle. When I go back my primary care Dr. told me to stay off it. I did. I had to go on extra meds to control my blood sugars. I was gaining weight rapidly. In September I told him that I could not walk from the front of a store to the back to get a gallon of milk without being in agony. So we got an MRI and bingo. They could not get me into surgery till Jan 30! Then I had reinjured my ankle in May this year, Hairline fracture in my tailia. So, I get to start physical therapy again next week. WOOT. I did lose 45lbs with just my diet but I have not lost anymore in months. I know I can not lose this weight by myself this time around. I am using this chance to take back control of my health. bread, my own homemade chocolate chip Cookies, and ice cream are my weaknesses. I have read that cravings and your taste buds change after surgery. I hope my brain will forget as well.

Lucky for me I've been on my own since I left home at 15.. Sure I have familyand friends but don't rely on anyone.
I've learnt to be strong to only rely on yourself and of course you can ask ppl for support or to talk to but at the end of the day this is your life.. Nobody else's!!!
And me I left home at 15. I agree

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Hi all, newbie here. I'm due for bypass surgery in september. I was wondering how you dealt with the lead up? Did you have support from friends and family? If not how did you manage that? I've found all friends and family supported the idea but now it's become reality it's been very different. I'm very much on my own and frankly, bricking it [emoji51]

Hey hun
I am from the UK aswell, I had my surgery 3 weeks ago. I don't have any support from family and friends, just my hubby. So I found this site. Where abouts are you in the UK?
I'm here if you need to talk. xxx

Hey hun
I am from the UK aswell, I had my surgery 3 weeks ago. I don't have any support from family and friends, just my hubby. So I found this site. Where abouts are you in the UK?
I'm here if you need to talk. xxx

Hey :-)

Thank you for your reply.
Great you have support from your hubby. That has to be a bonus.
How are you finding it? Are you hungry? I've been told I'll need to take 2 weeks off work, not ideal as I dont get sick pay.
I live in Dorset. Whereabouts are you? Xxx

I kept a journal, which was excellent! Through my experience, this journey was for me and no one else, so I internalized most of the experience. I had gastric bypass in March, and at the time only my fiancé knew that I was going through with it. He was very supportive and for me, it was enough that I was still OK without having to tell my family. I didn’t even really tell my fiancé about what went on during my appointments or my nutrition visit. About two weeks before my surgery I gave him about three really good articles to read about being a partner of somebody who is going through weight loss surgery, and he read them, and he’s been wonderful about it throughout the entire journey. I took a “stay-cation” from work, and bounced back. My son doesn’t even know I had surgery.

Since my surgery, I have told my grandmother, and that is the only family member that I have told. I personally have a lot of anxiety about my weight which has roots in the way my family has dealt with my weight all my life. So, I had absolutely no desire to talk about it with them. My family knew that I was on a liquid diet, which I explained was recommended to me by my doctor because I was having health problems, and they did not question it. I personally do not enjoy the positive attention from my family regarding my weight loss, so I don’t even give them the chance to talk about it with me, so there is not an opportunity for them to really question anything. Additionally, my fiancé helps change the topic if they start to try and talk about it lol!

If you ever need someone to talk with, you can always message me on here! Best of luck!

Family & Friends don’t really understand in my experience with this. My surgery is 8/26 and as the date draws near I see a difference in the individuals that lived the idea in the beginning. Put my heart is in the right place, I’m getting healthy and that’s it. If this surgery is for u it will be and you’ll do great at it.

On 7/23/2019 at 12:52 PM, nikkilee72 said:

Hello Astrid,

Make sure you are very specific with your surgeon about your genetic condition. Make sure that the VSG will provide as much help metabolically for you as an RNY would. You need him to tell you for certain that you will still get the benefit of helping your T2 with the incretin thing!! Your mom and you need to understand that. Best of luck to you!!