Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Guys,

Sorry I've been writing so many posts lately. Today is wrapping up Day 5 of my VSG and I am having THE WORST cravings. I am stuck at home for two weeks so I've been dwelling on all the foods I used to eat to comfort myself. I am curious of how people got over this? Also just as an update, I've been coming to terms with my anxiety being back in full action so although it is here I'm more at peace with it and it is less intrusive, still annoying but dealing with it.

The cravings can get super intense. I've found myself craving things I haven't had in years and years. I go in for major distractions when they get bad. Go for a walk, read a book, do some writing. I've had to seriously talk myself into closing the fridge and walking away from the pantry. I've been doing my best to keep danger foods out of the house, but with a husband and two wee-lings, I'm not always successful, and I swear those damn goldfish crackers call my name.

Hi @CashmereAndBones

I had really bad craving days! I got my RNY in another city, and recuperated in a hotel - watching FoodTV (which I don’t have at home!). Dreaming of fried food, of diners and baking, while eating Protein Soup from the bariatricpal store! And feeling ever so sorry for what I couldn’t eat.

But it passed. Now I have very limited ‘cravings’ - I am well below any goal I imagined and I find myself thinking ‘ooh, I would like some chilli-lime cashews’ which is new! But cake or jelly Beans at work are still hard to resist. And I am learning, this surgery is not a ‘get out of jail free card’. If I eat that crap, I will gain.

I can’t recommend strongly enough - use this time to forceably retrain your mind. Reprogramme yourself. Not ‘I can’t eat that 😪’ but ‘I don’t eat that 😋’...

9 hours ago, MrsGamgee said:

The cravings can get super intense. I've found myself craving things I haven't had in years and years. I go in for major distractions when they get bad. Go for a walk, read a book, do some writing. I've had to seriously talk myself into closing the fridge and walking away from the pantry. I've been doing my best to keep danger foods out of the house, but with a husband and two wee-lings, I'm not always successful, and I swear those damn goldfish crackers call my name.

mmmmmmm.....Goldfish crackers, they're the best!

It'll be better once you get to soft foods and then solid foods because you'll have some texture to satisfy you

You are going through one of the hardest times in my opinion. The head cravings are crazy!

Things that helped me:

1. Closed my eyes and plugged my ears/muted TV during commercials so I didn't have to see the food comms.

2. Stopped all cooking shows/food magazines/limited FB or IG time so I wasn't getting the food cues shoved at me.

3. Got busy! I was a walking animal! Any time I craved, I would make myself drink Water until full. FULL. Then I had to take a 5-15 minute walk depending on my ability at that time.

4. Started doing creative things - puzzles, coloring, paint by numbers, crochet/knit/needlework.

5. Play solitaire and word games on mobile

6. Got out of the house and got sunshine/deep breathed

7. Immersed myself here and got support both here and in RL support groups.

8. Immersed myself in learning about doing head work to change behaviors and relationships with food, doing research on WLS, nutrition, longevity, intermittent fasting. Watch a LOT of YouTube on these subjects.

9. Kept food as minimal and low reward/clean as possible. Spent as LITTLE time as possible interacting with food. (ie grilling chicken and fish for multiple meals/days then just adding veggies to the meal so literally it took 5-10 minutes to pull a meal together for us--clean, whole foods).

10.Broke up with thinking in terms of "treating" myself with food cuz I "deserve" it. Cuz honestly? Treating myself with food is actually self-harming behavior. It doesn't contribute to my long term weight loss plan/success or maintenance plan. It's an abusive activity.

**I promise you, if you do NOT feed the cravings, the cravings go away and get less and less over time. For most of us, sugar, sweet tastes, and high glycemic carbs are the foods that light up our lizard brains (pleasure centers).

13 hours ago, MrsGamgee said:

LOL wee-lings thats so adorable!!! I know sometimes it's like how did these goldfish get in my mouth?! thank you for the input <3.

9 hours ago, Biddy zz 🏳️🌈 said:

Hi @CashmereAndBones

I had really bad craving days! I got my RNY in another city, and recuperated in a hotel - watching FoodTV (which I don’t have at home!). Dreaming of fried food, of diners and baking, while eating Protein Soup from the bariatricpal store! And feeling ever so sorry for what I couldn’t eat.

But it passed. Now I have very limited ‘cravings’ - I am well below any goal I imagined and I find myself thinking ‘ooh, I would like some chilli-lime cashews’ which is new! But cake or jelly Beans at work are still hard to resist. And I am learning, this surgery is not a ‘get out of jail free card’. If I eat that crap, I will gain.

I can’t recommend strongly enough - use this time to forceably retrain your mind. Reprogramme yourself. Not ‘I can’t eat that 😪’ but ‘I don’t eat that 😋’...

Wow chili lime cashews sound awesome! I know trader joes has a thai chili almond which is soooo yummy!! I know I am trying to train myself into thinking like "I don't eat that" but right now it's more "I can't eat that" soon my body and mind will learn, thank you 🙂

3 hours ago, Jobber said:

mmmmmmm.....Goldfish crackers, they're the best!

smack that smile back!

Edited by CashmereAndBones

31 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

You are going through one of the hardest times in my opinion. The head cravings are crazy!

Things that helped me:

1. Closed my eyes and plugged my ears/muted TV during commercials so I didn't have to see the food comms.

2. Stopped all cooking shows/food magazines/limited FB or IG time so I wasn't getting the food cues shoved at me.

3. Got busy! I was a walking animal! Any time I craved, I would make myself drink Water until full. FULL. Then I had to take a 5-15 minute walk depending on my ability at that time.

4. Started doing creative things - puzzles, coloring, paint by numbers, crochet/knit/needlework.

5. Play solitaire and word games on mobile

6. Got out of the house and got sunshine/deep breathed

7. Immersed myself here and got support both here and in RL support groups.

8. Immersed myself in learning about doing head work to change behaviors and relationships with food, doing research on WLS, nutrition, longevity, intermittent fasting. Watch a LOT of YouTube on these subjects.

9. Kept food as minimal and low reward/clean as possible. Spent as LITTLE time as possible interacting with food. (ie grilling chicken and fish for multiple meals/days then just adding veggies to the meal so literally it took 5-10 minutes to pull a meal together for us--clean, whole foods).

10.Broke up with thinking in terms of "treating" myself with food cuz I "deserve" it. Cuz honestly? Treating myself with food is actually self-harming behavior. It doesn't contribute to my long term weight loss plan/success or maintenance plan. It's an abusive activity.

**I promise you, if you do NOT feed the cravings, the cravings go away and get less and less over time. For most of us, sugar, sweet tastes, and high glycemic carbs are the foods that light up our lizard brains (pleasure centers).

Wow!! Thank you so much for all of the ideas 🙂 I do walk a lot as well. I think tomorrow I am going to walk around the mall and get some inspiration for clothes I'll eventually be able to fit into! I like the lizard brain I've actually learned about that this year from a TedTalk because of one of my communication classes! I cannot wait to have some grilled chicken or eggplant, fruit, a burger no bun with cheese!!!

You have received excellent advice already so I'll just add...I don't really crave anything anymore. But, when people say, "can't you just have a little taste?" I just say, "I already know what that tastes like and I know what it does to me. I'd rather be able to wear my size 4 jeans than eat that!" Eventually they get the message!

For the past month ive craved blue berry muffins... i look up recipes on the best crumb topping and you know what ive never even liked blue berry muffins!! Lol. Its my tastebuds craving those darn things. And figure when i get under 200 pounds i may just make some take a few bites and give the rest to my neighbors..