Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you do when you don’t want to eat?

I know it happens at various times...so right now I just do not want to eat. Maybe for about four days or so. I’m not eating much Protein the past two weeks or so and even the past few days I don’t want to eat much of anything. I’ll have a bite of this or that and then just excuse myself from dinner and clean up. Or I’ll take food at lunch and don’t eat it and eventually throw it out. Dense Proteins are still a pain to eat but there is plenty of food I can eat— I just haven’t been interested. I know I need to eat but what do you do when this happens. Do you consider it a lucky day and just embrace it or do you make yourself eat? I’m not sick or having any other issues. Just not interested much in food. (For once in my life LOL)

I get this from time to time. At first (about the first 1-3 months post op) I was all, "Cool! One less thing to worry about". Then around 4-5 months, I started to worry that I was going to do harm to my body and health and make myself sickly, so I would force myself to eat (which actually would make me sick). The more recent months though, I am more used to it and know that the feeling will pass and I will I'll feel like eating eventually, so I just wait it out. I do try to drink Protein Shakes at least when it happens though...and I always keep up with my Vitamins (BUT: taking my Multivitamin does make me a tad nauseous on an empty stomach :( so sometimes I'll skip it during these times, and just take the others.)

On the bright side, this food aversion thing seem to happen less and less frequently and gets shorter in duration as time goes on :)

Just now, ms.sss said:

I get this from time to time. At first (about the first 1-3 months post op) I was all, "Cool! One less thing to worry about". Then around 4-5 months, I started to worry that I was going to do harm to my body and health and make myself sickly, so I would force myself to eat (which actually would make me sick). The more recent months though, I am more used to it and know that the feeling will pass and I will I'll feel like eating eventually, so I just wait it out. I do try to drink Protein Shakes at least when it happens though...and I always keep up with my Vitamins (BUT: taking my Multivitamin does make me a tad nauseous on an empty stomach :( so sometimes I'll skip it during these times, and just take the others.)

On the bright side, this food aversion thing seem to happen less and less frequently and gets shorter in duration as time goes on :)

Thanks! I am keeping up my Water and Vitamins And I eat a little bit here and there. Protein Shakes welllll let’s not talk about those. Lol

I'm not liking food much lately and at first I wasn't eating anything, which wasn't helping my weight loss, so then I started filling in the calories with things like Wheat Thins or Pringles, which are a BAD IDEA! So I can certainly relate to your dilemma.

9 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

I'm not liking food much lately and at first I wasn't eating anything, which wasn't helping my weight loss, so then I started filling in the calories with things like Wheat Thins or Pringles, which are a BAD IDEA! So I can certainly relate to your dilemma.

Yup. I was running into that slippery slope too— so i get it. Ugh

2 hours ago, GradyCat said:

yep, its where I am at too, need to stop that. so much easier to eat some walnuts then deal with eating a meal.. then i just graze on walnuts all day..

Your hair will fall out more on low protein! Do clear Protein Drinks maybe ready-made blue raspberry Isopure?

Greek yogurt topped with walnuts. Bone Broth Soup with some onion, celery, bits of chicken. Yes it's a pain to force yourself, but try to get a little more intake.

My surgeon was very relaxed - your body will tell you, just go with it.

But I read a lot, and tried to ensure enough Protein. I had protein Soups from the BariatricPal Store - a lifesaver. I couple were average, some were nearly tasty! Cottage cheese. With chipotle. Or chilli. Or fruit purée. Or anything for flavour - I tried a variety! And I just tried not to worry too much, and NOT to let the carbs creep back in.

And it sorted itself. I stayed healthy. And got well below goal.

Take advantage of this time. ^^^This is the best advice!!!

It is supposed to be hard to eat. It is supposed to be "no" interest in food. I swear it all comes back in the end. Then you have to fight it. So spend the time learning how to build brand new healthy relationships and eating habits. Spend the time reading, walking, taking up a creative outlet that keeps your mind, and senses engaged and activated.

You do need to get your minimum Protein each day. You do. You have to figure out a way to do it. That's part of the process.

For me, it was easy to get my 50-70g of protein per day. I did protein lattes, protein ice teas, protein broths/soups, yogurt with protein in it, cottage cheese with protein in it. And I love tuna salads and chicken salads so it was easy for me...

Embrace the food aversion period. Get the minimum and be done.

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

Take advantage of this time. ^^^This is the best advice!!!

It is supposed to be hard to eat. It is supposed to be "no" interest in food. I swear it all comes back in the end. Then you have to fight it. So spend the time learning how to build brand new healthy relationships and eating habits. Spend the time reading, walking, taking up a creative outlet that keeps your mind, and senses engaged and activated.

You do need to get your minimum Protein each day. You do. You have to figure out a way to do it. That's part of the process.

For me, it was easy to get my 50-70g of Protein per day. I did protein lattes, protein ice teas, protein broths/soups, yogurt with protein in it, cottage cheese with protein in it. And I love tuna salads and chicken salads so it was easy for me...

Embrace the food aversion period. Get the minimum and be done.

That is what I am trying to do...because there were days I was ravenous and wanted to eat EVERYTHING at 3 mos post op...It could also be the warmer weather just messing with my desires to eat. Either way I am gonna try to just go with the flow. Thanks for the pep talk on protein.....

3 months out and everyone i chat with says the same thing. itll change dont worry. but i always feel like im forcing myself to eat because im never hungry. aint that how we got fat in the first place lol.

and i could honestly care less about food. im just eatin to meet my Protein goal and so i can take these damn Vitamins lol.

im also just tired of eatin the same ole ****. i dont change it up much because i know what i am eating works.

i dunno...part of me hopes it changes and part of me doesnt.

I am a newbie. It's been 3 weeks and I'm never hungry but miss flavor. I have been trying to introduce a few things like eggs, cheese, ground hamburger and turkey. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. sugar free popscicles and premier shakes are my go to's. I have worried I'm not eating enough and my body will think it's in starvation mode and hang onto everything I eat. I have only lost 6 lbs since the day of surgery and I am worried it won't work. Lot's of anxiety hope it mellows out.