Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 9th 2019 is the BIG day!

Hi! I’m brand new here! I’m having a VSG on July 9th and my husband is completely NOT supportive and keeps telling me I’ll regret it. I’m only 5 feet and 1 inch and weigh 215 and I am SO ready for this! Any advice? Thanks so much!

Jennifer

Why isn't he supportive? That's a shame. You need a good support system. My husband has been nothing but wonderful. Are you on your two week pre-surgery diet now? Some doctors have it restricted calorie, some have it liquid for two weeks prior to surgery. Be sure to comply with whatever your surgeon told you so that your liver isn't fatty. Hang in there, you can do this, we'll support you here in this forum. Good luck with your WLS journey. Take care.

Is he overweight?

2 hours ago, GradyCat said:

Why isn't he supportive? That's a shame. You need a good support system. My husband has been nothing but wonderful. Are you on your two week pre-surgery diet now? Some doctors have it restricted calorie, some have it liquid for two weeks prior to surgery. Be sure to comply with whatever your surgeon told you so that your liver isn't fatty. Hang in there, you can do this, we'll support you here in this forum. Good luck with your WLS journey. Take care.

40 minutes ago, Jennifer P said:

My dr put me on NO preppy diet...anyone else have this?

I support your decision 100%. I didn’t have the pre op liver shrinking diet. Just liquids the day before and no eating the day of surgery.

Wow, I always wonder why anyone would not support getting heathy and living longer. Is he afraid of the risks? Or Is it his own insecurities? does he think that you are going to leave him once you lose weight?

Feel free to show him my before and after. Five year's out and I have no regret.

5 years.jpg

Congratulations on your decision 🙌

No clue why he is not supportive but that's ok as long as he doesn't stand in your way 👌

Good Luck 🏆

So I guess he just doesn't agree with the decision (he claims he's supportive, but I feel like he should be happy for me). Something I neglected to mention is that we are going through a divorce so I suppose this could have something to do with it, but he doesn't want the divorce, so wouldn't you think he'd be supportive? He still plans to take care of me when I come out of the hospital though so he's not that bad a guy! :) I'm SO excited for the surgery that I went out and bought scrapbooking materials today and started a scrapbook for my journey. So far it has before pictures and a day for a surgery picture too. I will have plenty of space for the "after" pictures! :)

And you seem to be more willing to undergo it all than he is to join in to it or even participate. A scrapbook is an excellent idea, be sure to take pictures and measure yourself all over, you will Never be that size again. I still cry, for I did not do it, I have no real point of reference, I have a picture of me at my highest weight when I am all wired up for my sleep Apnea testing, one or 2 when I was so sick at my re-hospitalization, when they cut into my upper left arm and installed a PICC line so I could be fed 12 hours a day, to give my beleaguered GI system 3 month opportunity to heal its ulcers, and I was sickly bad looking. And then there is one from April when I had rotator cuff surgery, and fell 2 days later in parking lot at J&F Services turning in paperwork. BUT NOTHING from the wonderful Day of Days when my life changed, when I commited to a future of Better Health. Oh I was. in a State of Incredible Peace, oh I knew it was the right surgery for me, at the right time, with the best most wonderful surgeon, and for the right reasons. And if I haven't recovered perfectly, even if I don't know all the rest of my story, I regret not having my photo documentation- now I never can or will have it. Oh Life Does Go On, tedious as it can be but no pictures. OMG I am crying again, I still feel the bitter loss.
And I do wish you success with your life, maybe you will end up friends if you no more can remain a 💑 couple. And keep us informed as it all unfolds, okay?