Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK guys maybe I’m just pessimistic (I stress maybe) but am I the only one who has found this surgery to be a complete B*TCH?!

Mine was the same way, the worst pain I’ve ever felt for the first couple days. Part of it for me was that I wasn’t on any narcotics, just extra strength Tylenol. It definitely felt like I’d been misled. I get how it can be isolating when it seems not many people have had the same experience.

On the bright side, I’m two weeks out now and can hardly even remember how bad it was. I think the lack of narcotics definitely sped up recovery. You’ll be back to feeling yourself faster than you think!

On 7/10/2019 at 11:02 PM, KarenLR75 said:

I have to admit I'm concerned not just about meds given in the hospital, but I was both disappointed and cynically amused when I saw my surgeon had called in pain meds for me to take 'after surgery' and it was Tramadol.

I have had NO success for the past 2 yrs with Tramadol alleviating any pain for my chronic/torn up knees that are awaiting replacement. I guess it is part of the whole 'pain med crisis. I finally discontinued seeing the dr who prescribed Tramadol as it was simply not worth it. If it isn't going to help in any way, why take it?

Guess we'll just have to see? Seems like much pain is around gas. I'm going to have to pack some gas-ex and a heating pad I guess. Any other recommendations for handling gas pain?

I call Tramadol, damn it all cuz it is worthless. Yeah - I guess doctors are being scrutinized on pain meds, but surgery is not the same as chronic pain... surgeries like this generally heal up and then no one needs the meds. It's stupid to deny people pain meds if they have pain...

I was given opioids, i believe it was liquid norco. It was so yummy i was licking it out of the counter and taking it for 5 days after surgery i was alittle sad when i ran out. Im sorry for all that werent given anything strong to help with being uncomfortable. I cant believe some of ur docters only gave u tramadol or tylenol. They must be the extra cautious docters thinking everyone gets addicted to the good stuff so they dont prescribe it alot.

I also had extreme pain after surgery and felt a bit misled. Apparently it’s policy to wake up patients after surgery without pain meds in order to make sure there were no complications from anesthesia. So I woke up and threw up blood, cried from the pain and immediately asked for pain meds. The worst was that the nurses made me constantly drink liquids and discharged me within 24 hours, and to be discharged I had to eat puréed food, which I was so not ready for. It hurt just sitting there but it was extremely painful to take anything in. I felt like my recovery “back to normal” was pretty slow in general because I’ve had a lot of problems with low blood pressure. 85 lbs and 7 months later I’m very glad I did the surgery but just wish I was more prepared for the pain.

I realize I'm in the minority here, but I used to have to take Flexeril + Narco 10/325's daily on schedule for chronic pain when I was MO. And no doubt I was hooked on them.

During both surgeries for weight, I was givin a trilogy of drugs that work synergistically with each other: tramadol, tylenol, gabapentin. This combo worked great!!! I didn't stay on it long enough to get a dependence for gaba or the tramadol. But I loved it and felt it helped me heal much quicker without the added stress of opiods.

I too was in unbelievable pain when I woke up and for the next 3 days. But mine appears to be more related to the hernia repair they did that WLS based on location. I literally struggled to breathe because my diaphragm was so tight/angry. Now a week out I am starting to feel much better. My brother was fine by the time he left the hospital the next day but he didn't have a hernia

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

My experience was pretty horrible as well and my surgeon gave me 2 days of pain meds to take home I've had to go to urgent care twice and the e.r once I'm disgusted with the quality of my aftercare I'm 2 weeks post op and I still wish I didnt do this

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

One thing I wonder is about the preop diet people that had a lot of pain were on. I have heard that if the liver isn't shrunk enough, it causes a lot of pain right after surgery.

I didn’t have hardly any pain to be honest. Just some pain in the solar plexus and really sore abs.

10 years ago I had bilateral breast reduction surgery and I woke up thinking I’d awakened in the depths of Hell because it hurt so bad.

I’d rather have bariatric surgery every month than ever experience the kind of pain I had after the breast surgery.

I feel so very fortunate. I experienced no pain and didn’t throw up ever. Years ago I had my gall bladder removed by laparoscopic surgery. I was in total agony. When I woke up from my sleeve surgery I thought they hadn’t done the surgery at all. I’m losing my weight slowly. Had my surgery April 22nd and I’m at 50 lbs. That is just fine by me. Hate to sound like I’m bragging (because I truly am not). May God Bless us all with PPP (no PAIN, no PUKING and no trouble losing POUNDS.

3 days out here..not much pain after surgery or day two but today is day 3 i'm up at 4:00 typing this and in sooo much pain. They gave me only 10 pills of 50 mg tramadol and I've taken 2 already. That leaves me with only 8 and I'm trying to use sparingly. There is also liquid tylenol I know..... NO regrets on the surgey but this pain is #$#$ no joke.

I’m so sorry for everyone who is in pain.

I had RNY on Oct 1st so I am only 4 days out. The first day and night of surgery was pretty rough for me. I was sooooo nauseas and hurt bad in chest Into my shoulders. I don’t know if it as just a coincidence but as soon as they gave me some Pepcid the next morning I took a nap and woke up feeling like a new person. I think my Nasuae and pain was mostly due to not coming out of anesthesia well and the trapped gas. I could not get up to walk the first day due to how dizzy and barfy I felt. 2nd day could have not been more opposite and not sure negative triggered .My docs told me the pain should not get worse over the next few days and if it does I need to call them to check in about it. I definitely felt worse with my gallbladder surgery 6 months ago.

I agree with you, Hopeful, it was much more painful than I thought it would be. The first 36 hours were all pain and nausea for me. I thought that if I’d have known about it ahead of time I wouldn’t have done it. I’m glad I didn’t know ahead of time because I’m glad I did it. But I was definitely miserable and nauseous, like you. You’re not alone!