Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, up until noon today, I was scheduled to get a VSG on 7/1 (this coming Monday). Now that I finally listened to my gut instincts telling me I am not confident in my choice of surgeon and am DEFINITELY not comfortable in the anesthesia group he contracts with (they have very poor reviews), I met with another highly recommended dr late today. He said he does not consider me a poor risk for a bypass with a duodenal switch. He stayed after office hrs to meet with me. We are going to talk tomorrow after I've had time to digest the fact that times/dates/etc. may all be changing and try to make the final decisions that will be best for my positive outcome.

That being said, my husband has been asking what care/support would I require after I get home from the hospital. This has stumped me as after major hospitalizations even though I've had ppl around a day or 2, I'm used to being the caregiver (ALWAYS) and am used to caring for self.

I haven't paid attention nor has my 'old dr' ever said much about post-op except don't lift more than 20 lbs and the post-op diet. I also haven't asked so I don't fault either doctor for that (for the record, my first doctor has good reviews too, it is not about him personally, not the main reasons why I'm changing).

I have supplies laid in and probably like most ppl have said, within 1 to 2 weeks, I'll be sick of most of them. Do I truly "need" someone physically present to help me with things? Or maybe I should ask, what would you have liked to have someone help you with in the first few days after being discharged from the hospital (whether errands, being in the house, med runs, um..I would say making food...but yeah...um..bringing me my 'liquid of choice'...lol).?

Guess I need to now look up info bypass with duodenal switch. I've been thrown quite a curve here as I've focused mostly on 'sleeve' for the past several months. The only though that comes to mind is silly....but it's "I'm going to lose my hair for sure, aren't I?"

Assuming your surgery is going to be laparoscopic, you will likely be in the hospital one night and then home. My surgery was on a Tuesday. I was discharged Wednesday around noon. Slept most of the day at home Wednesday because anesthesia takes a crap ton out of you. Thursday, I got up and did my morning routine and started on my shakes, sipping through the day and napping. Friday - I worked from home for the day. Saturday, I went grocery shopping *but everyone else carried stuff and a kid fro the store loaded the bags into my car. Monday, I was back at the office from 9-3 - left early. Other than help with lifting things the first couple of weeks (e.g. laundry, etc.) I didn't need help at home. But your mileage may vary. I'll be 3 years in August.

8 minutes ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

Assuming your surgery is going to be laparoscopic, you will likely be in the hospital one night and then home. My surgery was on a Tuesday. I was discharged Wednesday around noon. Slept most of the day at home Wednesday because anesthesia takes a crap ton out of you. Thursday, I got up and did my morning routine and started on my shakes, sipping through the day and napping. Friday - I worked from home for the day. Saturday, I went grocery shopping *but everyone else carried stuff and a kid fro the store loaded the bags into my car. Monday, I was back at the office from 9-3 - left early. Other than help with lifting things the first couple of weeks (e.g. laundry, etc.) I didn't need help at home. But your mileage may vary. I'll be 3 years in August.

Yes, it is supposed to be laparoscopic either way. That being said, original dr said much like what you said, that most ppl he would discharge the next day. He said due to my major clotting history, he would keep me an extra day at least. Not really sure why as I'll be bridged to lovenox....and this time 'adequately bridged based on my weight'.

Will ask new dr what his usual process is. I figured I would sleep the day I came home or the next day because you are correct, anesthesia can do a whammy on you. Most of what I need in the first week or 2 does NOT need to be prepared. I work remotely and have for years so honestly, I just planned after a '1 day sleep in' that I'd just 'get back to work'.

Now that I've said all that, I would LOVE to get out of litter box duty for a couple of weeks!

I paid my daughter to cook my husband's dinner and prepare his lunch for work. She also did laundry for me. she was such a lifesaver. I did pay her, but if someone came in and did it, it would have cost way more. She did it for about 5 weeks, as I had a tough time recovering.

Wishing you the best with all you have been through. I think you are making the right choice switching Dr's.

I would be surprised if they only keep you in 1 night after a DS, it’s pretty major surgery.Here in Aus it is standard practice to keep bypass patients 3 or 4 nights.

Why have you decided to go full DS straight away? It’s not a very common choice. Most people either do the sleeve and if that doesn’t work go the next step and have the DS or they have an RNY

I had standard RnY on a Thursday morning and was discharged before noon on Saturday. I have two elementary aged kids, so I made arrangements for them to be away for a few days (stayed with grandparents). I had prepped about 2 weeks worth of dinners for my family so that I wouldn't have to be in the kitchen a whole lot immediately following surgery. My hubs brought me home from the hospital and got me settled, and then he left to do some grocery shopping for me. He stayed home the next day, but went to work on the Monday and I was by myself the whole day. I was fine.

The only thing I really needed help with in that first week was getting into bed. Our bed is on risers, and I needed my hubs' help to get situated. I also chose to not take a shower if my hubs wasn't home, just in case. After that first week, I was moving around pretty well, only stairs caused me a bit of a challenge.

On 6/27/2019 at 6:51 AM, elcee said:

Why have you decided to go full DS straight away? It’s not a very common choice. Most people either do the sleeve and if that doesn’t work go the next step and have the DS or they have an RNY

For CIGNA, it is a 1 bariatric surgery in a lifetime thing. They will never pay for a revision, period. My BMI when i met with 1st dr was 56 (down from over 60 when I started doing Keto 15+ months ago). 1st Dr actually said he would do a bypass as well due to my very high BMI and the need to get weight off faster (both knees have severe arthritis and I have to get injections to be able to walk and that is even lately...even with 52.3 lbs lost..getting progressively more painful).

Knee orthos (got 2nd opinion) have said both knees are so bad they require full replacement and as soon as my BMI is under 40, they will consider doing the operation.

1st dr though, felt uncomfortable with my clotting history so he said he would only do sleeve at this time and to save up my money (which I don't have) to pay for my own revision to bypass with duodenal switch in a yr or 2.

I still have mixed feelings about the 2 different surgeries..things I like and don't like about the both.

Do you think I should still reconsider? I'm asking this as I'm wanting to make the best decision..not just what either dr's have said...and I'm torn although both said I needed the bypass originally.

My SIL came to stay with me after surgery for a few days. She came the day before surgery and was there for 3 days after. I had sleeve and was in the hospital 1 night (they let me out around 7PM the following day). My doc required someone to be home with me for 24 hours after I stopped narcotics (although I stopped the narcotics when I left the hospital). I don't think I would have needed someone there all day, but it was nice.

Help I needed:

• I needed help lifting things (so doing laundry, taking out the trash, etc). Couldn't lift more than 10# for 6 weeks after surgery. After SIL left, my neighbor helped me with the trash
  • You can't drive until you have the narcotics out of your system for 24 hours, and my doc doesn't like people driving for 2 weeks (I was so sore, I wouldn't have been comfortable with my reaction time if something had happened while driving), so she drove me around if I need it for the first few days. But I really didn't need to leave the house - for my follow-ups, I took Uber.

I didn't need the following, and could have done all of this myself, but it was nice to have someone else thinking for me in the first few days when my brain was scrambled from anesthesia (NOT common, but I do not do well with anesthesia😞

• My bedroom is on the 3rd floor of my house. She helped make sure I was OK getting up there .
  • She kept track of my liquid/protein intake and would remind me to sip every 15 minutes or so (she created a great tracking system that I used for about a month or two after surgery)
  • She'd prompt me to walk and track how far we went. Walked about 4-5 times a day, around the block of my townhomes - so each lap was about 500ft of walking. I bet I wouldn't have walked nearly as much if she wasn't here
  • Helped me remember to use my spirometer.

You have a fantastic SIL!! Thanks for the information and Wishing you success on your beautiful journey!![emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app