Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week out and really thirsty... odd?

Everything I read says that I should be struggling to get 64 ounces of Water in a day.

As long as I take small drinks, I haven't had any issue drinking. Actually, I'm drinking more like 80 or 90 ounces of water because my mouth is constantly dry.

Is this normal? Is there someone wrong going on?

I cannot stand having a constant dry mouth.

Medications often make your mouth dry out, just keep putting your fluids in, you're on the Right Path!

I agree with Frustr8... it could be a side effect of your meds. Whatever it is, yay you for being able to get your Water in easily! :) I hope it continues! I initially had an easy time with my fluids, but when I moved up to soft foods, suddenly water began to taste kind of icky and unappetizing, and now I have to be extra diligent to get all my fluids in. That said, I have found that for me, diet iced tea goes down easier. Go figure.

im day 2 and have been able to do 20z in an hour on two different occasions. is this a bad thing? i have the same concerns

Do you have diabetes? That can make you thirsty. After surgery they told me not to take any insulin or medication, my bs was just too high still and I had to start taking my one pill and insulin at night, although much less. Now I just take 20 units at night.

Anyway, I would check with your surgeons office.

Good luck!

8 hours ago, Jebc said:

Everything I read says that I should be struggling to get 64 ounces of Water in a day.

As long as I take small drinks, I haven't had any issue drinking. Actually, I'm drinking more like 80 or 90 ounces of Water because my mouth is constantly dry.

Is this normal? Is there someone wrong going on?

I cannot stand having a constant dry mouth.

I had NO issues getting water in & reading all those posts about people struggling to get 2oz in just freaked me out. I am currently a month out, but I've had no issues drinking since the first day. And I can easily drink 4+ oz in one sip. Easily. Like I wake up and chug a good 4-6 oz to start the day. WATER before anyone yells at me. I regularly get in 65oz of water per day, just water. I don't count coffee or Protein Drinks as part of my 65oz, it's just the goal I set for myself to encourage myself to switch to water after a cup or two of coffee in the morning.

I spent my entire first month going NUTS over the posts on this site because you know why because I felt like my normal experience must be abnormal. I saw my doctor for my one month follow up & I was like WHY IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ME & he was like... you wanted problems? Logically, no I don't. I was just feeling like surely something is wrong that I've got no issues. Nada. My doctor assured me no issues is the norm.

I am one week out and so thirsty too. I wish I could gulp a gallon of ice cold Water. If you find out any you’re so thirsty please let me know.

Thanks everyone. This actually help out a lot. I know everyone is on their on journey but that one seemed to be everyone. Glad to see that even when it comes to drinking Water, we all have exceptions.

Hopefully the dry mouth will go away soon for us all.