Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was upgraded to soft food but it seems my stomach would disagree with my surgeon that its time for us to eat. As soon as the food enters my mouth before even chewing my stomach begins to protest by cramping. No matter how much I chew or how slowly I swallow it feel like my insides are being twisted and crushed with each swallow. I am bot able to get more than 2 bites in due to the discomfort so I am still mostly getting my nutrition from the shakes when I am able to tolerate them.

Amy suggestions on how tlakeealte less painful and does this feeling ever go away?

it should go away. Some people have to go through the steps slower than the surgeon's guidelines because their stomachs aren't quite ready to move to the next step yet. Going slower than the schedule is fine - getting ahead of the schedule is not.

Sounds like your body is telling you something. Take it slow, at your own pace. There's nothing wrong with staying on liquids or purees longer than the doctor's schedule.

Eat slow, introduce 1 new item at a time, and pay attention to what you're body is telling you in response.

1 month out, on soft foods as well... for me its intense gas pains that start after the first swallow. It makes it so uncomfortable to eat that eventually I'm like screw it. Do these pains go away as well. It's making me HATE food. Now I know we are supposed to have a new relationship with food but I dont look forward to eating anymore to be honest

It seems like food stages take forever and your body is needing nutrition. And it's normal to be annoyed and normal to need more time, you might have inflammation yet.

So just take it really slow, it's actually texture stages you progress through and your stomach isn't ready for a new texture yet. Just work on getting your Protein and Water amounts in every day.

One thing that helped me was a warm liquid just a few minutes before eating, it relaxes the esophagus and the muscles. And just one small bite, then something that you know you can tolerate for the second small bite - kinda like introducing new foods to babies. It will get better.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
    • Dawn 1974

4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!