Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Pre-op Diet Weigh In Blues

So I had my first weigh in for my month long pre-op Optifast diet this afternoon and it appears I GAINED 2 lbs since Saturday. My logical side is telling me it was the end of the day, I drank 60 oz plus 3 shakes throughout the day, plus a shower just an hour before weighing in. Plus I've started lifting weights the last 3 days which I realized can cause Water retention while the muscles heal. Plus it wasn't a full week since we started on Saturday.

I'm sure I'm doing fine but it was still a bit discouraging after being hungry all day the last 4 days. I'm supposed to lose about 20 lbs or they "may postpone surgery."

I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't lift weights until after surgery then? I just wanted to get some strength so I'm stronger to do more exercise in general but I guess it doesn't have to be about that just yet.

anybody dealt with something similar?

This isn't the exact same thing, but I have an autoimmune disease and was put on steroids approximately 10 days after my last appointment for my medically supervised diet, and I have gained weight - like 5lbs - since I was last in. Because I'm ravenous because that's what steroids do. I think it's up to you about lifting weights, but I know my friends who have had the surgery have said that they should have conditioned their core and back a little more to be able to support just how weak you are after abdominal surgery! Maybe do just bodyweight exercise?

I’d say try not to worry about it, but I obsessed over each weigh in. I can’t exercise for medical reasons but have done quite a bit of research on Protein supplementation. I don’t think lifting weights would cause gain, except in the form of muscle. I’m pretty sure to prevent Fluid retention from working out, have the protein when your body is at rest, especially before bed because that’s when the muscles utilize the protein best. Maybe Try resistance training vs weight lifting. Also Have you ever tried Pilates? A good way to elongate and strengthen muscle.

There are arguments out there about wether to do exercise after surgery, you will need a good recovery period first so post op you will likely only be able to do light walking and gentle stretches at first. Pilates is a good transition since it can be more subtle exercise moves.

34 minutes ago, despacit0w0 said:

This isn't the exact same thing, but I have an autoimmune disease and was put on steroids approximately 10 days after my last appointment for my medically supervised diet, and I have gained weight - like 5lbs - since I was last in. Because I'm ravenous because that's what steroids do. I think it's up to you about lifting weights, but I know my friends who have had the surgery have said that they should have conditioned their core and back a little more to be able to support just how weak you are after abdominal surgery! Maybe do just bodyweight exercise?

That's a great idea I think! Lots to work with after all haha

The nurse didn't seem to think much of it at all so I should chill. I hope your team is understanding of the steroids affect!

17 minutes ago, Darktowerdream said:

I’d say try not to worry about it, but I obsessed over each weigh in. I can’t exercise for medical reasons but have done quite a bit of research on Protein supplementation. I don’t think lifting weights would cause gain, except in the form of muscle. I’m pretty sure to prevent Fluid retention from working out, have the Protein when your body is at rest, especially before bed because that’s when the muscles utilize the protein best. Maybe Try resistance training vs weight lifting. Also Have you ever tried Pilates? A good way to elongate and strengthen muscle.

There are arguments out there about wether to do exercise after surgery, you will need a good recovery period first so post op you will likely only be able to do light walking and gentle stretches at first. Pilates is a good transition since it can be more subtle exercise moves.

More great ideas, thanks! I haven't tried Pilates, it kind of intimidates me, I'm not very limber or coordinated. But I guess you gotta start somewhere!

Don’t stop the weights! You can talk to your DR, a personal trainer or do some research, but the muscle you build will help increase your metabolism. That will help you more in the long run. I always gain a few pounds when I first start exercising. It will even out. It will be ok. You are doing great!

On 7/5/2019 at 7:53 AM, Libby63 said:

Don’t stop the weights! You can talk to your DR, a personal trainer or do some research, but the muscle you build will help increase your metabolism. That will help you more in the long run. I always gain a few pounds when I first start exercising. It will even out. It will be ok. You are doing great!

it did even out; I lost 10 lbs by my next weigh in! Now it's almost time for my 3rd and I'll be starting my period next week so it's probably going to appear up on the scale again due to bloat. but at least I know that'll go down on its own!