Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Transitioning to soft foods

I had some mashed potato after a week. I also had some shredded chicken. I did fine with the potatoes, but the meat feels like it gets stuck in my throat. I have to eat meat super slowly. I chew a lot and actually count to 15 between bites. However, the food really helped me feel less tired and weak.

Puree your meat down, mix it with the mashed potatoes, even try some low-fat gravy, one girl calls it " meat lube", see if it makes a difference.

22 minutes ago, Kara Duke said:

I had some mashed potato after a week. I also had some shredded chicken. I did fine with the potatoes, but the meat feels like it gets stuck in my throat. I have to eat meat super slowly. I chew a lot and actually count to 15 between bites. However, the food really helped me feel less tired and weak.

So i went rogue on my diet and feel so much better now. I am 4 weeks post op sleeve and have lost 25pounds. Thought it would have been more but thats my bad for not excerciseing everyday i assume. Anyways i added 1 tbs of Peanut Butter a day and lick it off a spoon slowly it has actually made me have energy to move i normally feel so weak and it gives me what i need to take my kids to the park. Having just Protein gives me the low blood sugar feeling so peanut butter saves the day for me!

8 hours ago, kitty0422 said:

I’m so afraid of trying new foods that I’m eating just yogurt, mashed potatoes and pudding.

Those are all slider foods and you obviously will need to move past them sooner rather than later. I've been struggling a bit with soft foods (pain and vomiting from not chewing enough, eating too fast, not taking small enough bites), but my energy has been better with 'real' foods.

Things that work for me... canned salmon mixed with greek yoghurt and some herbs, flaked ham mixed with mustard and some finely diced dill pickle, egg salad (no celery), pulled pork with BBQ Sauce, lean ground beef mixed with salsa, baked salmon mixed with salsa, ground turkey (my best friend these days!), baby bell cheese, string cheese, scrambled eggs, well-steamed broccoli.

Things that don't work for me... chicken breast (unless it is slow cooked in some sort of sauce, and even then it's iffy), and anything chocolate flavoured (go figure).

I don't know how far out you are from surgery, or what surgery you had, but moving through the food stages is important to fuel your body. Try taking a few baby steps into the soft foods and see how it goes. Take care of you!

I actually had to restart everything again, 6 weeks into my Bariatric surgery they realized I had a build up of scar tissue and had to go back in and remove it starting everything over again. Now I’m at the soft food phase again.

I am 16 days post off and on soft foods now. Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt have been working well. I tried some eggs with feta cheese and refried Beans and I feel like those kind of hurt digesting in my stomach, although I'm back at work now walking a mile to and from train so maybe the increased activity is causing the uncomfortableness but idk. Anybody else feel painful in the lower belly area when transitioning to soft foods?

I am 14 days post op from the sleeve. I started with scrambled eggs this morning with a small amount of melted shredded cheese and also had the belly pain. Thirty minutes after eating I threw up half of what I ate and it was only 3 tbs of egg whites. So for lunch I had broth Soup again, but for dinner I had ground beef with retried Beans and shredded cheese. I had to stop eating half way through because I felt like I was going to be sick again but after a few minutes I was able to finish the rest. I didn't have the pain or get sick with dinner.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:13 PM, Tonya_Felder said:

I am 14 days post op from the sleeve. I started with scrambled eggs this morning with a small amount of melted shredded cheese and also had the belly pain. Thirty minutes after eating I threw up half of what I ate and it was only 3 tbs of egg whites. So for lunch I had broth Soup again, but for dinner I had ground beef with retried Beans and shredded cheese. I had to stop eating half way through because I felt like I was going to be sick again but after a few minutes I was able to finish the rest. I didn't have the pain or get sick with dinner.

I've heard that eggs are kinda hard for most people at first (weird b/c they are pretty soft I know) but I'm a little farther out now - a month today and I too find that ground beef goes down the best and to me that's great because it has a lot of protein! I'm glad that you found some foods that you can eat without getting sick!