Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well tomorrow I get my left knee replacement surgery. I have lost 71lbs since my orthopedic surgeon told me to lose 50lbs so I could get both knees done. Supposed to get other one done in September. Weight loss should make rehab easier. Need lots of prayers and positive thoughts!

You've done a GREAT job preparing yourself for this knee replacement surgery by losing weight. Good for you!

1 hour ago, MstressB69 said:

Weight loss should make rehab easier

@MstressB69

71 lbs down!! great job - you aces!!☺️

knee replacement date was scheduled. i mentioned to doc that i was going to

have WLS in a couple of months. he quickly said lets postpone knee replacement

til you've lost some weight.

I was sleeved 12/15/11 (235 lbs)- DOS knee, 5 months later - down 62lbs - weighed

173 lbs "less" of me/you does make rehab much easier than you;/me were heavier.

good luck with surgery tomorrow - for me it was painful, definitely worth it

kathy

5 hours ago, MstressB69 said:

Well tomorrow I get my left knee replacement surgery. I have lost 71lbs since my orthopedic surgeon told me to lose 50lbs so I could get both knees done. Supposed to get other one done in September. Weight loss should make rehab easier. Need lots of prayers and positive thoughts!

Oh my gosh - totally in my prayers! My orthos said both knees need to be replaced and urged me to get bariatric surgery to get my BMI lower (I had already been planning to get surgery)..and I have a long way to go, but hopefully in next year or 2 I will hit the right BMI.

When my Dad was alive he did both knees at once. I've considered doing the same but my Dad had a huge tolerance for pain and it was..interesting. I think I'll only do one at a time.

What an accomplishment! Lost your weight and now on to one of your key goals! You go, MstressB69!!!

My orthopedic surgeon wanted me to lose about 35 lbs before hip replacement surgery. He wanted me to be below 200 lbs. At first I did Weight Watchers and wasn't having much success so that was when I looked into WLS. I had my WLS last Oct and 8 days ago on June 17 finally got my hip replaced! I was 102 lbs lighter the day of surgery. Because I lost the weight I was able to have the anterior approach surgery and my recovery has been remarkable! On day 4 post op I gave up my walker and on day 6 post op gave up my cane! Today on day 8 post op I went for a 1.7 mile walk all on my own! My orthopedic surgeon was impressed with my weight loss and I think will be impressed with this recovery when I see him Friday. I'm glad I took his advise and lost the wt first. He has changed my life in so many ways! Good luck with your knee surgery! It's a lot of work but so worth it!

Praying for you 🙏 My mom had both knees replaced last year and she feels much better. Stay diligent on your physical therapy afterwards.

Thanks everyone for your inspirational messages. Today I can barely walk, so I am excited to get my knees done. I know there will be pain, I have already gotten both hips done. I had that surgery in 2011 weighing over 300lbs. So I know this should be somewhat easier since I am almost 60 lbs lighter. I have promised myself to be diligent with my rehab. Next knee will be done in September if all goes well. I pray I am not just walking, but dancing by Christmas! I am not done losing yet either.

Edited by MstressB69

There was a typo in my first post, I have only lost 61 lbs, not 71lbs, yet. On my way there. I weighed 249 today and my goal is 185, so I have a way to go. I am sure the when I am able to walk, I will lose faster. Again, thanks for prayers and good thoughts!

B69 - Before you know it, you'll be singing... I go walking after midnight - one of my favorite Patsy Cline tunes. ;]

No doubt, 185 is just around the corner - as I am sure rehab movement + exercises will aid toward this goal.

Many best wishes and continued success!

I had knee replacement surgery on 11/7/2011 and it was the best thing I ever did! It bothered me that 1 Ortho wanted me to lose 30 lbs first. What the heck is that all about !?! I went to a 2nd surgeon who agreed with me. How do you lose weight when you can't hardly walk?

My doctor told me it would take about a full 2 yrs before you are really back to full range of motion. He was right. Also, do yourself a favor. Get a Sports Medicine Rehab Physical Therapist! One that works with athletes and full performance recovery. Believe me, there is a difference! My first PT provider was more interested in meeting the minimum range of motion 30 days out, and not what I wanted. I wanted to walk like normal, and have very little range of motion issues. So, I did another round of PT with the sports medicine folks and believe me, there is a difference! I can run now if I were into running! Now to get rid for the stubborn weight! I'm scheduled for a VSG on 10/1/19! Good luck!

I just going out I'm going to a rehab facility because my tiny bathroom won't accommodate my walker. Don't know how long I'll be there, but it's best right now. I'm still on my weight loss journey. I want to lose another 60lbs. Then hopefully after I get my other knee done, I'll be able to run too. Not that I run. LOL

I just got my first knee replacement. But I'm going to a rehab facility because my tiny bathroom won't accommodate my walker. Don't know how long I'll be there, but it's best right now. I'm still on my weight loss journey. I want to lose another 60lbs. Then hopefully after I get my other knee done, I'll be able to run too. Not that I run. LOL

This is what my bathroom looks like and why I'm going to a rehab facility. Not though room for my feet and I can barely get into the shower.

IMG_20190623_195129330.jpg

IMG_20190623_195209531.jpg

I don’t run either. I once told my doctor that the only time he will ever see me run is if something is chasing me to eat me alive. That’s okay though. After I get my sleeve on 10/1, and you have recovered more, we can swap faux running videos. 😉

Be truly blessed.

Sent from my LG-H931 using BariatricPal mobile app