Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just when I thought I had no more questions - clear liquids question!!

One of my "new friends" on this board and I were chatting via posts and they made a comment that made me question something on the 'clear liquids' portion of the pre-op diet with is coming up in a day or 2 for me.

I have on my list that I can have sugar free popsicles and even Jello. I remember though when I was getting an upper GI and a colonoscopy several years ago, they required the popsicles and jello to either be yellow or green in color.

I've looked at the list from my nutritionist AND my list from my doctor and they do not stipulate a color restriction (i.e. no red, orange, etc.) but I know they are going to do a leak test. Has anyone been told that they need to stick to greens and yellows for popsicles and jello??

I'd hate to just keep eating red/orange items and THEN find out this was a big no-no!!

I thought the same thing. The color only matters when they're going inside to look at things. You can have any color or flavor that you want. Enjoy!

I had no specifications but I also didn't even have a liquid pre-op diet! Lol.......... My pre-op diet was packaged food that I purchased from my office.

1 hour ago, KarenLR75 said:

One of my "new friends" on this board and I were chatting via posts and they made a comment that made me question something on the 'clear liquids' portion of the pre-op diet with is coming up in a day or 2 for me.

I have on my list that I can have sugar free popsicles and even Jello. I remember though when I was getting an upper GI and a colonoscopy several years ago, they required the popsicles and Jello to either be yellow or green in color.

I've looked at the list from my nutritionist AND my list from my doctor and they do not stipulate a color restriction (i.e. no red, orange, etc.) but I know they are going to do a leak test. Has anyone been told that they need to stick to greens and yellows for popsicles and jello??

I'd hate to just keep eating red/orange items and THEN find out this was a big no-no!!

Red and orange are usually a “no-no” because if you vomit, or they’re observing your insides, they don’t want to be thinking it’s blood. Which is why, if you notice, hospitals usually only have green or yellow Jello. Even though they didn’t specify, I’d avoid red stuff anyway just to be nice and to avoid any possible/additional unnecessary testing/complications.

Mine says no red really big but only for the 2 days preceding surgery so I guess it depends on your Dr

3 hours ago, SusieQ2019 said:

Mine specified no red Jello.

Mine too... nothing red.

4 hours ago, SusieQ2019 said:

Mine specified no red Jello.

Seriously? ARGH.....um...heck.. But they didn't specify like..no red popsicles? is it a 'red dye' thing you think or ??

3 hours ago, LessFee said:

Red and orange are usually a “no-no” because if you vomit, or they’re observing your insides, they don’t want to be thinking it’s blood. Which is why, if you notice, hospitals usually only have green or yellow Jello. Even though they didn’t specify, I’d avoid red stuff anyway just to be nice and to avoid any possible/additional unnecessary testing/complications.

Sometimes..it would be nice if we could get consistent answers from our care team (hospital, nutritionist, doctor, etc.) I just did my pre-op appt at the hospital and asked them the question about the popsicles (didn't mention jello) but stated that I had red and orange popsicles. They said "not a problem"....but when I look at the number of people who have replied that said "no red"...I've got to take that into consideration.

Kroger had NO sugar free popsicles that were only yellow and/or green...like literally..NONE. Tried TWO stores.

I can do lime sugar free jello but of course I stocked up on not only the lime, but also many 'variations of red' :(

OK, when I go to Clear Liquids on um..the 28th or 29th (surgery is July 1st), I'll remove red jello for sure. Guess I'll have to send family out to try to find green/yellow only popsicles. I'd call my dr's office as well but one member of his staff, the person who most often answers, is so hard to talk to/deal with that I hang up feeling completely stressed out - even if it is a simple inquiry.

Feeling a bit confused...concerned and all of a sudden..frustrated (not at y'all - I appreciate your input)..this has just been bad work day and bad personal day. No worries..

??????????????????

Don't stress over it. Look on the bright side you are almost there. I did purchased Jello and Popsicle for post op and ended up not liking them because they were just to sweet. Glad my daughter ate the Popsicle, the jello was a different story. The gave me a jello while in in recovery and I wanted nothing to do with it. My daughter ended up eating some of the jello and took some to school for her friends. In the end I ended tossing the rest.

So just take in to consideration that your taste buds will change. To date 2 months out and I still hate everything that is sweet. I drink my Protein Shakes just to reach my Protein goals.

Wishing you the best!