Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

Just about 6 weeks out from surgery and I've been having some issues with eating real foods. Not any one thing consistently, but getting the foamies/slimies/vomiting just about every day for the last couple of weeks. And it's gotten me wondering... what are the foods that you all just can't do any longer? And if you're further out from surgery, have you found that you were able to eat them later on?

I totally get that everyone is different, I'm just curious about the experiences of others.

Mine is Simply Cheetos White Cheddar Puffs, I try to stay away . The 2 times I had any I limited me to 4 , well under what is considered a serving, but they are pleasant to my tongue👅and rather seductive! Put them in Tomkitten's room, he accused me of trying to prolong his weight disparage, nope not my thought, I just wanted to put them where they didn't try to get my attention!

And I shouldn't eat popcorn especially movie theater popcorn just because its a slider and I can eat eat eat it without stopping!

The foods that still give me the foamies six months post-op are: steak, soft tortillas, shredded chicken

Anything too fatty or rich and cheese in more than a tiny bit. :( And I haven't tried it, but I'm sure boiled okra would also fall on that list. It's got to... ;) haha

popcorn, it was like an addiction before I had surgery. I swear I will never eat it again.

Sugar. If I eat something with too much of it, or too much of something with it in it, my heart will race and I will feel pretty icky for a while. Sometimes I may feel nauseous and barf, other times I'll need to poop immediately.

Edited by ms.sss

4 hours ago, KCgirl061 said:

And I shouldn't eat popcorn especially movie theater popcorn just because its a slider and I can eat eat eat it without stopping!

I can foresee popcorn being a problem for me down the road, as I REALLY miss it. I'm going to have to keep it out of the house.

2 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Anything too fatty or rich and cheese in more than a tiny bit. :( And I haven't tried it, but I'm sure boiled okra would also fall on that list. It's got to... ;) haha

lol... I think fried okra would have given me the foamies long before surgery! Never could tolerate okra at all.

1 hour ago, ms.sss said:

Sugar. If I eat something with too much of it, or too much of something with it in it, my heart will race and I will feel pretty icky for a while. Sometimes I may feel nauseous and barf, other times I'll need to poop immediately.

I've only had one go round with dumping syndrome so far, thankfully, and it was triggered by eating too soon after having a Protein Shake. No fun! Otherwise, I haven't been drawn to surgary stuff yet. It's a beast I hope I don't have to face soon.

8 minutes ago, MrsGamgee said:

lol... I think fried okra would have given me the foamies long before surgery! Never could tolerate okra at all.

Can't do fried okra anymore (before or after), but still love my okra and tomatoes. I have to draw the line somewhere though and boiled okra seems to be "it" lol just cuz I detest it sooo...

56 minutes ago, MrsGamgee said:

I can foresee popcorn being a problem for me down the road, as I REALLY miss it. I'm going to have to keep it out of the house.

I honest to God got fat eating skinny pop. I skyrocketed to obese in about 4 months. I hopped on the scale one day, almost fainted then immediately made an appointment and had surgery 5 months later.

I could not tolerate chicken breast until recently, so I ate thighs instead ...Nor steak, it has to be well marbled and like 4 bites. I still can only consume a tiny tiny amount of chocolate anything. After surgery any chocolate Protein Shake or sf chocolate pudding made me throw up, I developed an aversion to that form - I can have a bite of plain dark chocolate but not much. It doesn't call my name any more - which is good.

I don't eat Pasta ever, I have had maybe 2T of rice like 4 times - it feels horrid, swells up makes me want to throw it up. So now I just don't bother. Any bread consumption must be toasted.

But popcorn goes down okay. LOL

I mainly eat eggs, cheese, pork steak, bacon, chicken, fish, shrimp, crab, vegetables, a few berries, yogurt sometimes. I could not tolerate salad for nearly a year - that was tough - lettuce chewed 40 times just slimed and came up. So it was cucumbers, and pepper strips until my body adjusted. I now eat lots of raw greens.

Most "meat" still bothers me.....I don't want to eat it either, so that's a whole other issue. Ground beef is fine but I could never eat meat again and be okay ...except bacon. :) ha....but pork is really bad. I have tried it a few times and I can't find a way to eat it that doesnt make me sick. Steak I can eat filet.....which is what i ate before surgery anyway. chicken is okay but only if it's like a chicken tender - and that isnt healthy sooooo......

It does get easier but it is a process and work.