Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my VSG on June 24th. Surprised how little discomfort I’m in. Haven’t taken any pain meds or anti nausea meds. Worst I have is a little tugging at the largest incision which is much like you feel the day after an ab workout. . The hardest thing I’ve had to deal with is hunger. Now the hunger I have is in no way like in the 2 week pre-surgery diet. That was torture. This is much more subtle. I received a follow up call from the nurse today who said this is perfectly normal as the swelling in my stomach goes down. The Ghrelin is reduced, not eliminated. Basically suck it up for the next 3 weeks. To make it more “challenging”, I’m also giving up smokeless tobacco. Good times.

I’m 6’1” and weighed 341lbs at my heaviest. Weighed 325 at the time of surgery, and 319 as of today.

Anyhow, I’m happy I did this and proud to be a new member of the VSG club.

Edited by Knix200129

Welcome to the club! Good luck on your WLS journey.

Had my VSG on June 24th. Surprised how little discomfort I’m in. Haven’t taken any pain meds or anti nausea meds. Worst I have is a little tugging at the largest incision which is much like you feel the day after an ab workout. . The hardest thing I’ve had to deal with is hunger. Now the hunger I have is in no way like in the 2 week pre-surgery diet. That was torture. This is much more subtle. I received a follow up call from the nurse today who said this is perfectly normal as the swelling in my stomach goes down. The Ghrelin is reduced, not eliminated. Basically suck it up for the next 3 weeks. To make it more “challenging”, I’m also giving up smokeless tobacco. Good times.
I’m 6’1” and weighed 341lbs at my heaviest. Weighed 325 at the time of surgery, and 319 as of today.
Anyhow, I’m happy I did this and proud to be a new member of the VSG club.
Keep up great work!

Sent from my LG-H931 using BariatricPal mobile app

@Knix200129

I had VSG on Jun 19th and like you I have not had very much discomfort other than sleeping on my back. I am a side sleeper so sleeping on my back has been different. I felt like I was hungry as well. I was averaging over 80 ounces of fluids every day because I wasn't allowed anything else. Today (Day 5), my doctor said that I could start Protein Shakes. That has helped me a lot with the hunger. I couldn't even finish an 11 ounce Premier shake. I had 1/2 for Breakfast and the other half for my "mid morning" snack, but have only had 48 ounces by 3 pm.

Good luck to you.

@Knix200129 and @sm98444

Congrats ! I had my surgery just days before you both on June 17th. Today I am exactly one week out and have lost a total of 10 lbs from my surgery date, 25 since my initial pre-op appointment May 27 - Almost one month ago. I want to let you know what you're feeling is totally normal. Like Knix, I did not need pain pills and by 5 days later I felt superb. However, I had the hunger pangs. What I would do is take a muscle/spasm pill that they prescribed to me. It definitely stopped the hunger. Also, I gave up smoking! Maybe that's why I'm so angry the past few days, but I don't really have the urge to pick one up yet. Well, I mean I have the urge but it isn't THAT bad that I'm feening for it. Like SM, I am also a side/tummy sleeper. For the first 5 days I measured how well I was healing with how well I could sleep. Being forced to sleep on my back was horrible so I slept maybe 2 or 3 hours at a time for the first 2 days. At one point I was up at 3:30 AM e-mailing my doctor about why can't I sleep?! Finally by Friday night I slept 8 consecutive hours and was able to lay on my left side. Last night I was able to really get comfortable though!

My one week appointment was virtual - Actually both my 1 week and 1 month are virtual. I don't have to go back and physically see my team. Crazy, right? Anyway, today I was allowed to begin my puree stage. It's not as bad as it sounds. My dietitian said I could puree Wendy's chili (wow?!) so I'm thinking I may end up living on that, tuna, and chicken salad for the next 3 weeks. I'm supposed to be getting in 80g of Protein per day. She said to focus on getting in the protein, not to worry about calories or carbs. And today I've had maybe 50g of protein. I'm actually "late" to eat because I wanted to respond for yas! I'm struggling getting in my Water, not because it's difficult but because I need to make myself drink. I'm not thirsty and I'm not hungry so why should I eat? So it's like... Set an alarm and just do it. That'll be my plan for tomorrow.

Welcome to the club!

well congrats to you hope you are still doing well welcome to the looser club i hope for great success for you cheers keep up the good work !!