Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plateau for last 4+ years

What about a revision? To say gastric bypass?

On 6/23/2019 at 5:24 PM, GSVguy said:

I had gastric sleeve in Dec. 2013 after having reached a weight of about 440-450 and everything went according to plan the first 18 months or so.

Since the spring of 2015 or so, I have been stuck in the 285-305 range (I'm 6'3" and 43 yo) and have been unable to get out of that no matter what I try, to the point where emotionally, I am basically back where I was at my highest weight. I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror, and I'm either a) obsessively counting carbs or calories or b) not caring what I eat and engaging in secret compulsive eating (though on a much, much smaller scale—instead of a dozen donuts, I'm going for one or two and not telling my wife or anyone else).

The latest emotional defeat is this: I've spent the last three weeks doing a keto/Atkins-type thing, which was the only thing that ever worked for me before my surgery. Meticulous tracking, urine sticks showing I'm in ketosis, moderate walking exercise, and—here's the catch—a pretty extreme calorie deficit. Most days less than 2k per day, never more than 2,500, and in one four day period, I basically did the surgery prep diet of only Protein Shakes and broth, at about 800-1200 calories.

After all that, I lost 2 pounds, which, when you're 292 pounds, is nothing.

I'm already planning to eat poorly and secretly tomorrow, and I have absolutely no idea what to do. I feel essentially the same way I did before my surgery, though less intense, in that it seems like there's really nothing I can do.

This is driving my wife crazy, and she's unable to understand or emotionally support me. I'm also trying very hard to not go back to some other addictive patterns.

I know the first thing some are going to say is exercise more. I haven't done that lately, and there are two things holding me back on that point. At various periods in the last 4 years, I have done serious, several weeks-long programs with personal trainers in tandem with calorie deficit, and have had literally no success, other than gaining a little muscle, which resulted in a net weight gain. Also, I have some pretty extreme chronic degenerative disc pain, and it's hard to motivate myself to work past that pain when past results from diet and exercise have yielded little to no tangible benefit after great effort.

One other thing that may be a factor: I had my gallbladder removed in 2017, and it had been basically shot since at least fall of 2015. I also had hiatal hernia repair the same time I had the gallbladder out.

To be honest, I'm not really expecting any useful feedback. This may just be what life is for me now. But I had to say it somehow to someone.

Protein produce weights & cardio brother! Calories in vs calories out. Your setting yourself up to fail. When you sneak around your not fooling anyone your just cheating yourself. Make better choices & results will come. You can do this. There’s Zero benefit in lying to yourself it’s not harming those you think your fooling. Best of luck!

I have a bulging disc that is compressing on a nerve and my muscles are weak in my back I been doing physical therapy don't help I'm in pain all day this nerve pain never go away I also need a total knee replacement but my BMI is to high for back or knee surgery pain management is not helping meds dont work no more they said I need to loose weight and it will help with the pain I'm just tired of getting no results I want to be able to sit ,stand,bend,walking more longer and lift without pain I ready to see a change I pray in 3 months I can get my life back.

On 7/16/2019 at 1:19 AM, Seahawks Fan said:

Protein produce weights & cardio brother! Calories in vs calories out. Your setting yourself up to fail. When you sneak around your not fooling anyone your just cheating yourself. Make better choices & results will come. You can do this. There’s Zero benefit in lying to yourself it’s not harming those you think your fooling. Best of luck!

Thanks for not reading what I wrote. Very helpful.

Hey there, we all get discouraged when we keep trying to do it by the rules and the results are not showing up. I will listen to your need to vent, but then I expect you to take action once again, and to keep trying.

Don't go online and look for more hints or diets, don't read the news - all you will get is negative stuff and you don't need that right now, don't compare yourself to anyone else's journey.

1) do you journal and weigh food? Get an app on your phone and use it, pick one - myfitnesspal or Baritastic or whatever one you prefer. 2) how much Protein and carbs are you eating, how much Water are you drinking everyday?

Track for one week, you don't have to change your eating - just track ALL of it and be honest. You are accountable to yourself, that is all any of us has. Stay off the scale.

3) get a notebook, any kind, label it 'junk journal', in it write every shitty thing that sits in your brain - oh such as I hate my skinny effing coworker that is lazy while I work my arss off, I hated my third grade teacher, my back doctor is an azzhat. I will never be normal.... I hate myself and I am a failure, then think about all of this for a minute and forget it because most of it is not true...but it gets it out of your head. Turn the book over to the back and label it - gratitude - write I am thankful for how far my body has carried me here, I love my wife very much, she really does want me to be happy, the hot shower felt sooo good, etc. Begin to fill this side up more, you are worth it. 4) after one week of tracking - don't eat after 7:30pm, just have tea or water or no caloric drinks. Do this for another week. This will be tougher at first. Stay off the scale. Journal.

Do this for 4 weeks, just to get stable. Then weigh yourself.

Then go analyze what you ate in the last 4 weeks. If you didn't lose, change two small things until you see what gets results - maybe you need more or less protein, more or less fat, or maybe a baked potato did not derail your weight loss at all. You have time. Relax, it's not over unless you give it that power.

BTW - I am not at my goal 21 months out, I have been in a 6 pound range for nearly a year, I still need to lose 30-40 more pounds. I still plan on getting there and I am trying to see what works for myself as well.

You may be eating too little so your body is in starvation mode. Try working out with weights and not cardio and see if you lose inches not pounds.

13 hours ago, GettinSkinnywithit said:

You may be eating too little so your body is in starvation mode. Try working out with weights and not cardio and see if you lose inches not pounds.

The OP has back issues, and pain not well controlled, and 90% of weight loss is diet.

I have nothing insightful to say that can fix this but, Dude, I feel your pain. I’ve been there a number of times through the years.