Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did. I was 5'6" and 373 lbs at my highest - so that's a BMI of 60.2. I lost 100% of my excess weight (am now a normal BMI). I should add, though, that that is not typical. My surgeon said about 10% of his patients who start off that high make it to normal weight, and from the peer-reviewed articles I read, that's about right. I worked my fanny off to get it off, though - almost never went off plan that first year - and I still, four years later, log every bite that goes into my mouth. I'm sure it would be much easier if I was OK with being just "overweight" - like 180 lbs or so (and at one time, even 180 lbs sounded like a pipe dream and I would have been *ecstatic* to be there!!), but I really, really want to stay at a normal BMI, so I'm willing to put in the work.

bmi of 51. i now weigh less than the day i got out of boot camp but without as much muscle mass. you can never be 18 again :) . it was a lot of work but i have no regrets. my normal bmi range is 121-159 and i am inside that range. for my age the surgeon was happy at 170 but i wanted to break that 159-normal as my last weight loss goal.

Now its about maintaining and some days thats every bit as hard as weight loss so it gets better but not easier.

I started at 53.7 BMI and am about at 43 now. I'm 4 months out. You can do it! Good luck!

And if you want even more encouragement, at just under 10 months I am 31.1 and I NEVER EXPECTED TO BE ABLE TO SAY THAT! This means after starting at 52 BMI the first time I went to OSU, I have gone from Morbid Obesity, through Straight Obesity and am ready to soon topple over into Overweight and I did it all in my 70s,now 73, my body looked a deflated wreck in places, too too many years a BIG GIRL,but at my age. few men except doctors request me naked, so I'll continue to cover with clothing. Spent this weekend running elastic through my 20/22 jeans and slacks to get a little more wear there. A little scared to try on 18s for fear they will miss-fit somewhere, but I shall, fear should no longer be in my Clothing life, should it?

I’m 5’10 , 47 years old this October! My BMI is 52 , my current weight is around 355! They say my middle range is 150 !!! My 15 year old weighs that and she’s a stick lmao 😂 !! I looked great at 175 when I was 19 so I’m hoping for somewhere in between there ! Just want to be there and present for my kids

And N.Y. Elizabeth, that is both a Lofty and Achievable Goal. I will be cheering you along every step of the way! I started 52+, now I am 31.1 after a little less than 10 months & I am 73 years young. So you can come close to my record or pass me easily. I have faith in YOU but even more important YOU need to have faith and support YOURSELF, for this Will Be Your personal struggle and ultimate ✌victory!

I started at a BMI of 55.

I am 5 10 as well. I now weigh 185 and wear a 10/12 in pants and a medium in tops.

I could maybe lose another ten pounds if I went to being super diligent about carbs again. My body is happily maintaining here for a few months.

On 06/23/2019 at 21:57, KimTriesRNY said:

I started at a BMI of 55.

I am 5 10 as well. I now weigh 185 and wear a 10/12 in pants and a medium in tops.

I could maybe lose another ten pounds if I went to being super diligent about carbs again. My body is happily maintaining here for a few months.

That’s awesome I don’t remember anything lower than a 14/16 and I think that was in high school in the 80’s lol 😂 Congratulations!!! I can’t wait for my journey to begin !!!!

My BMI was 50 when I started and now it's down to 30 in less than 8 months. I wear a size 10/12 now and started at a 22/24. Still have another 30lbs to go, but I already exceeded the expected weight loss from my surgeon. They said I'd lose 65% of my excess and I'm at 75%-ish. I plan on losing all 100%!

Edited by mousecat88

Still a little bigger than you, but I can still can travel along, humming my song, because even with my faulty innards I AM SO MUCH BETTER than once I was! And I still am going to work my way to VICTORY, because I have commited to it!

mine is 70. but I haven't had surgery yet so I can't tell you about my success yet! Previously I briefly lost down to 220 and with my body shape and bone structure I was hella cute and pretty happy with that, so my goal for surgery is to get to 200 and reassess. BMI be damned after all that work!

Okay since You Asked; HW 365+ October 2017
Height 5ft8 8inches
Calculated BMI 55.49
weight at first real visit at OSU Bariatric Spring 2018 still well into mid 300s- they calculated me still well over 50 BMI- I believe,52
I was 72 years at,this time, knew this would be my last best chance at losing to a normal size- knew the diets I had tried gave no real help, tried for years and years, normal diets, weird diets, any diet that came down the pike! All I ever lost was. RESPECT,FOR MYSELF
On my surgery day after their guidance and a months of Liver-shrinking diet
319,pounds September 5th 2018
Surgery --RNY,gastric Bypass
Surgeon- Bradley J Needleman MD- department Head- Bariatric Medicine- Metabolic We8ght Loss and also a Full Professor in OSU's College of Medicine.
These are the cold hard facts
And I also heard the nay-sayers and what they said
" Bariatrics =Elective Mutilation
You will be put on a Selective Starvation Diet, you will be. a Case of Adult Failure To Thrive"
'You are Too Old !
You are too Broken Down!
You will Die on The Table!
Not Just JOB in the Bible had False Friends.
But still I went forward with My Plans - fought an up- hill battle, Many programs don't accept applicants over 60 let alone 72..
But I wanted a chance to continue living, my quality of Life was pretty abysmal, I couldn't breathe, move well because of Arthritis. Even my PCP, supposedly my true friend, told me I wouldn't live past 75, too many things I was at risk for as well as the ones I already had.
But I studied my possibilities, learned as much as I could. Bariatrics seemed to be
My Last Best Hope- presented my Body to one plan, went their program not once but twice only to be denied. And I won't say the excuse they gave, it was unfounded, error-laden , and it about put me into an emotional tailspin. Then my Red-head stubbornness kicked in- They didn't want ME- fine- I didn't want THEM! So iI applied to the program I had wanted all along, the other someone recomended. Always go with your gut, it knows more than your BrainComprends! And this one, at Ohio State University was truly what I needed, I was treated well, the challenges they gave were d9able and Still are! But enough Back Story.
Today, almost 10 months later
I have gone from a Size 28- 30W to a loose size 20, quickly going into a 18n never EVER DREAMED I would escape Plus Sizes!
My BMI is now 31.1 & I am now below 200 pounds- 198.9 says my Digetal scale, and yes it does talk to ME. After years of buying cheap models, getting so angry I pitched them in dumpsters or against the wall, I have a good, fairly expensive but accurate model. Has it been easy? Nope- one of the hardest but most satisfying things I have done. And I did not have a textbook recovery- things happened that are fairly rare, but after years of feeling a total screw - up, that I was so pitiful I could never succeed at anything in life, I have found I am a Strong resilent woman, and a good part was the help and consulting of my Bariatric Plan, when I felt like giving up, I knew they believed in ME and so I can believe in ME too. Oh My story is not completed, I am still a Work in Progress. Although originally I am at the point They Forecast, I plan to still do my utmost to make it down to the 15 Junior and 175 I have dreamed of. Right now I weight the same as I did when I married my Late Husband 51 and a half years ago. Oh the body has scars,dings, as the pounds disappeared I am left with loose floppy skin in some places, truth be known I was obese almost from birth, but I am Alive, when I shouldn't be, less arthritis pain, less shortness of breath, look how long- winded I am now , even on paper or the internet!
But Baby IT IS WORTH IT! I have drowned my fears in tears, as Martin Luther King once said " I have been to the mountain!" Well I have been tested , found to be true to my commitments, motivated to CONTINUE until I too have my total VICTORY! And if I can do it with the Basal Metabolism Rate of a Sick Sea 🐌 Snail, I think everybody else can also So join me in the journey, our paths may not be the same, few are, but if they parallel let's walk together! On Bariatric Pal you never need to feel ALONE, we are world🌎wide, we can talk the talk because we too have walked the walk- we offer support, we offer friendship, if you, too, feel you've got what it takes- join in! It has been so worth it for ME!😝🍀And today I feel lucky to relate all this!