Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

14 hours ago, momof3_angels said:

I am 6 weeks out today. Drinking fine but not the full 64 oz... but nutritionist was happy with my intake. I can eat soft foods no problem, and most chicken if it isn't too firm or ground beef. I usually eat 3-4 oz of food but a little more if it is something like a Soup with liquid. I have found d I do not do well with foods I really should t eat (learned that when trying to find food at Disney last week). Example, battered fried fish or corn dog or anything with unhealthy carbs. I am fine with soft fruits and veggies. But a salad wasn't a good choice lol. There are plenty of foods I haven't tried yet and find my tastes are changing. At home my favorite is homemade chili because it has some non meat Protein along with the ground beef and because it has liquids I feel like I can get more in. I such at tracking my food. I am starting to have lots of energy, but then busy days wipe me out. Weight loss is going at a great pace considering I started at a lower BMI. I did stall last week but this week I am losing well again. I am down 44 pounds since May 20 with over half of that since surgery. I have gotten small enough that nothing fits which is a good dilemma. Finally have no residual pain when I do something that pulls at the main incision. Getting into a good walking routine and hope I can continue with this progress when I go back to work. Grateful that my doc gave me 8 weeks off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had the same surgery date and i find at times i get EXHAUSTED. I feel fine and then workout and then BAM- sooo tired. I guess at 6 weeks we are still healing? Congrats on your progress. I haven't tried many foods- im scared. lol.

Hi Everyone! Seems like everyone is doing really good for the most part. I feel a little frustrated that the weight came off SO FAST in the beginning but is starting to come off a lot slower - but slow and steady wins the race I guess!

I'm having a hard time with Fluid intake. It's more uncomfortable drinking stuff than it is eating..I find that ground beef goes down the best so I've been doing lots of ground beef and hamburger patties and just chewing chewing chewing! Also eating lots of greek yogurt these days and cheese. I love coming in here and reading everyone's progress. Keep it up everyone, we got this!

I just switched to the soft food diet yesterday, and I think that will help my weight loss. My dietitian wants me to get 1000/1200 calories a day, but I think that is too much? As of yesterday I am still getting between 300 and 500 calories a day and I know that is not enough. Last night Hubby made Maidrites and I made acorn squash, sweet for him and savory for me. It went down great, and lots of leftovers for me!

12 minutes ago, Lynda486 said:

I just switched to the soft food diet yesterday, and I think that will help my weight loss. My dietitian wants me to get 1000/1200 calories a day, but I think that is too much? As of yesterday I am still getting between 300 and 500 calories a day and I know that is not enough. Last night Hubby made Maidrites and I made acorn squash, sweet for him and savory for me. It went down great, and lots of leftovers for me!

My surgery was in August, and I'm 10 weeks post-op. My surgeon and nutritionist refused to give me a calorie goal, which is annoying. Considering that you're only 4+ weeks post-op, 1000 calories sounds high. At 4 weeks, I was getting between 400 and 600. If I were you, I would try adding another 100-200 calories of Protein to get into the 600 calories/day range and see if you can tolerate it.

I agree with you Mrsean! I can't imagine being able to eat so many calories a day!

I disagree, I am 4 weeks out and get about 800-1000 calories a day in. What you want for a caloric intake will be affected by what surgery you had more than anything else. No disrespect to anyone, but I would trust the team that rearranged your insides rather than us random people on the internet.

Reading others struggles puts things in perspective for me. I’ve lost 17 lbs in 4 weeks with scale not moving. I have to be careful not to compare to others who have lost much more. I’m 65 & sure most are younger & will lose faster. Also still have a lot of pain from one inside suture. Probably heal slower too compared to younger ones.

18 minutes ago, CoramDeo said:

I disagree, I am 4 weeks out and get about 800-1000 calories a day in. What you want for a caloric intake will be affected by what surgery you had more than anything else. No disrespect to anyone, but I would trust the team that rearranged your insides rather than us random people on the internet.

Very true. I had the sleeve and @Lynda486 I just noticed had the bypass. Definitely listen to your doctors over us.

However, there is a problem in that there is such a wide range of information and differences in programs. Some say liquids only for 4+ weeks and some say the transition to solids after 2 weeks. Some have calorie goals, some don't. Some do a pureed stage, some don't.

Message boards like this are useful for hearing about other peoples' experiences so you can tinker around the edges of your eating habits, but yes, you should definitely not go against what your doctors say.

Hey guys. I love hearing everyone experiences so far and thanks to you guys I was able to see that I was really struggling with my food intake. Many of you are talking about being able to eat X many ounces at this far out and so on. I just can't and it is/was getting worse. Most days something is coming back up or taking hours to get down fully and feeling "stuck" in my throat and esophagus. Because of your stories I knew something was not right.

After my follow up today with my Dr. it turns out that I have a Anastomotic Stenosis (stricture) and the opening to my pouch is (most likely) very small and closing. This can happen with some patients. So I have to get an upper endoscopy done on Thursday and they will stretch the opening with a balloon. Hopefully this will help! It's just a day procedure, but I will be fully under. Cross your fingers for me :)

Hey guys. I love hearing everyone experiences so far and thanks to you guys I was able to see that I was really struggling with my food intake. Many of you are talking about being able to eat X many ounces at this far out and so on. I just can't and it is/was getting worse. Most days something is coming back up or taking hours to get down fully and feeling "stuck" in my throat and esophagus. Because of your stories I knew something was not right.
After my follow up today with my Dr. it turns out that I have a Anastomotic Stenosis (stricture) and the opening to my pouch is (most likely) very small and closing. This can happen with some patients. So I have to get an upper endoscopy done on Thursday and they will stretch the opening with a balloon. Hopefully this will help! It's just a day procedure, but I will be fully under. Cross your fingers for me

I'm glad you have a good surgeon who listens. Wishing you the very best of luck to get you back on track to a good quality of life. Please keep us updated.

Been there, did that repeatedly until it either worked or my stubborn stricture relented, my stoma will probably always be smaller and prone to restricure but urgently I'm told I am patent, jejunem has areas of scarring but praise GOD I am making it through and I believe you will TOO, but please keep me updated, I Sure fought that war too!

15 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Been there, did that repeatedly until it either worked or my stubborn stricture relented, my stoma will probably always be smaller and prone to restricure but urgently I'm told I am patent, jejunem has areas of scarring but praise GOD I am making it through and I believe you will TOO, but please keep me updated, I Sure fought that war too!

Thanks for the good thoughts and I hope I only need the one time! Yikes! How long did this process last for you?

Hi again - my procedure went well and my stomach opening has been dilated to 16 mm. Now I just have a sore throat and have been restricted to pureed foods again for a few days - but good news is foods are actually going down! Yay! I will have to figure out what my real "full" feeling is now that I know the "stuck" feeling wasn't really it.

Hi again - my procedure went well and my stomach opening has been dilated to 16 mm. Now I just have a sore throat and have been restricted to pureed foods again for a few days - but good news is foods are actually going down! Yay! I will have to figure out what my real "full" feeling is now that I know the "stuck" feeling wasn't really it.

Woohoo! So happy you're able to eat now. Fingers crossed that's fixed the problem permanently and everything heals as it should. I'm sure you feel so much better already. Thanks for updating.