Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can’t believe some of you only have to do a 5 day liquid diet. I have to do it for two weeks. Mine starts Wednesday. Surgery on the 19th. Last week it felt so far away and now it seems to be right around the corner. I can’t wait.

Just now, Dee2938 said:

I can’t believe some of you only have to do a 5 day liquid diet. I have to do it for two weeks. Mine starts Wednesday. Surgery on the 19th. Last week it felt so far away and now it seems to be right around the corner. I can’t wait.

Well, my surgeon said my liquid diet is only 1 day. I'm sure I had him repeat himself 3 times after I repeated him 5 times, lol. Seriously only 1 day and I've been mentally preparing for a long haul, but think I'll make it 3 days. I will of course discuss this with him prior. I just want to be sure of a properly shrunk liver and no food contents are in my intestines.

My surgery is 2 weeks from today, I only have a clear liquid diet for 3 days.

Mine starts tomorrow, surgery on the 18th. I'm honestly a little worried for the people that have these super short liquid diets, doesn't seem safe at all.

Mine starts tomorrow, surgery on the 18th. I'm honestly a little worried for the people that have these super short liquid diets, doesn't seem safe at all.
Don't be worried. I didn't have any pre OP diet and I did fine. Surgery went well and had no complications. My surgeon has not found any improved outcomes with or without the pre OP "liver shrinking" diet. To each it's own. 🧡[emoji169]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

6 hours ago, Dee2938 said:

We are all different. My nutritionist did a group class and she kept talking about the 10 day liquid diet (and other instructions), but then would come over and whisper to me because my plan is totally different than everyone else's plan. Basically, I was fast tracked through everything... most had 6 months of appointment requirements, I only had 3 months. They had 10 days of pre-op diet, I was initially told 3 days but then she changed it to 2 days. I am starting off with a lower BMI and they didn't want me to lose too much weight pre-op.

5 hours ago, CoramDeo said:

It is safe, for those they say to do less days. One difference is the size of livers... the 10 day diet is to help shrink the liver to get it out of the way. Those with lower BMI's don't necessarily need to shrink the liver. Sometimes it is just surgeon preference. They pump your stomach at the start of surgery, so there won't be food in there regardless. At least mine does, and I can't imagine other docs don't do it since they are cutting your stomach in half.

The countdown is on! Scheduled to be sleeved on 9/19 in San Diego!

Anyone else scheduled for 9/19?

2 hours ago, MaineMama86 said:

The countdown is on! Scheduled to be sleeved on 9/19 in San Diego!

Anyone else scheduled for 9/19?

Me! Im scheduled for the 19th. 🤗

20 hours ago, momof3_angels said:

It is safe, for those they say to do less days. One difference is the size of livers... the 10 day diet is to help shrink the liver to get it out of the way. Those with lower BMI's don't necessarily need to shrink the liver. Sometimes it is just surgeon preference. They pump your stomach at the start of surgery, so there won't be food in there regardless. At least mine does, and I can't imagine other docs don't do it since they are cutting your stomach in half.

I sure hope so too! my doctor has me on liquids for 24hrs before w/3TBS of Milk of Magnesia --- starkly different than the "industry standard" of 2 weeks, but your explanation makes sense :)

On 7/27/2019 at 7:36 PM, NessaG1 said:

Getting sleeved Sept 19th. So excited!

Me too!

On 8/10/2019 at 3:26 AM, thillman1987 said:

I will be getting the bypass on the 17th! That's three of us in here that will be having it on the 17th!

Sent from my moto g(6) using BariatricPal mobile app

I am the 17th! Can i join the party? There are five of us now, I think. Lots of 17th surgery dates. I will be doing gastric sleeve.

My doc gave verrrrry little guidance on the pre-op diet. I see him Thursday but seeing as how its 2 weeks out I think i'm gong to switch over now. Anyone want to chime in with what their pre-op diet looks like?

I'm new here - sorry if this isn't appropriate etiquette.

I am the 17th! Can i join the party? There are five of us now, I think. Lots of 17th surgery dates. I will be doing gastric sleeve.

My doc gave verrrrry little guidance on the pre-op diet. I see him Thursday but seeing as how its 2 weeks out I think i'm gong to switch over now. Anyone want to chime in with what their pre-op diet looks like?

I'm new here - sorry if this isn't appropriate etiquette.
This is the main part of mine20190827_200638.jpeg

Mine is 5 days full liquids, two days clear. The 5 days is 3 Protein Shakes a day and one glass of juice. Then sugar free popsicles, sugar free Jello, Water and etc as much as I like. 2 days clear is just Clear Liquids and 6 cups of clear juice or non sugar free popsicles (2 count as one cup) (I assume for calories).