Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally got my surgery date... when did you cut things out?

I researched a lot before I even went the bariatric route. I knew what I was getting into before I even talked to the doctor. But my acceptance was different because I went through the bariatric clinic on the military base and you don't have to go through all the hoops most insurance companies have you go through.

I still had to go to seminars, I did four 2hr long nutrition classes, I had to go to support groups, and the psych evaluation. I still have two more classes I need to do for pre op one is an hr and the other is 2hrs. They expect you to start eating better and exercising, but we didn't have to go on a diet. They said if we went on a binge and gained weight then that would show them you're not ready for the surgery and they wouldn't do it.

But for me my weight gain wasn't because I am an over eater, binge eater, ect. I gained weight from PCOS it caused me to have a metabolic disorder. So my body was just making me gain weight because it wasn't processing my insulin correctly. Basically my body is slow to let go of fat, but also holds creates more fat then usual. I would have to work out 3x's harder then the average person to lose pcos weight which is ridiculous and why I havent been able to lose it. It sucks because most of my life I was thin everyone in my family is thin... but lucky me I was the only one to have PCOS. I just keep gaining and gaining and its not from eating poorly and massive amounts of food its from PCOS that's why I always said its the Devil! lol

But back to my original question. They never said stop eating everything we wont be able to eat after surgery at a certain time before surgery. I know for sure they expect you to stop on your pre-op diet, but before that all they said is don't gain more. So like you can see some stopped well before and some rode it out until the 2wk pre op diet and still cheated. I just wanted to see what the majority was.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

My issue is energy drinks like red bull, rockstar & mother... Will be a change to remove them will probably start to clear my cupboards out the month leading up to surgery which will include a Preop Protein Shake diet!

My issue is energy drinks like red bull, rockstar & mother... Will be a change to remove them will probably start to clear my cupboards out the month leading up to surgery which will include a Preop Protein Shake diet!
Yes, Redbull is really addictive! I remember I would crave the taste. But once its out of the house it's easier to resist!

I can answer my own question now that I am finally on my 2wk pre op diet.

I stopped my daily starbucks frappuccino like 2 months before pre op diet and soda 3wks before pre op diet and I wont have had any for a month and a few days when I actually have the surgery. I cut out most sweets and junk food like chips ect, but did have an occasional ice cream here and there. But everything sugar free for pre OP diet is so sweet. I'm actually getting tired of everything being so sweet lol. I had broth one morning because I didnt want sweet again.

I am totally confused... if you all are able to cut these items out 6-8 months prior to surgery, why do you need surgery at all?

7 hours ago, sidvicious said:

I am totally confused... if you all are able to cut these items out 6-8 months prior to surgery, why do you need surgery at all?

Because it's not sustainable. Diet after diet after diet, up and down up and down, sure it works temporarily but it's not sustainable. The surgery gives you a period of time where you're almost forced to comply, and the idea is to hopefully form new habits and a real lifestyle change in that time period. Your body also goes through physiological changes that normal 'diets' don't do.

I honestly started cutting things out when i started my pre op diet (7/8/19). Stopped drinking alcohol, stopped eating like sh**, drank a sh** ton of Water. My surgery is 4 days away and im feeling extremely confident and excited. I knew what i signed up for.:):) Good luck!

9 hours ago, PineappleGirl said:

I am going to have my Surgery on the 22nd!!!

Sent from my SM-N960W using BariatricPal mobile app

We're Sleeve Sisters! My surgery is July 22nd as well!

Nervous & excited! We got this! Let's go!

I didnt cut out anything until I had to with pre op diet. My wife was all over me about the shock I would be in for. The pre op diet was hardest and once I had the procedure and the hunger was gone it was a breeze.

Im certainly not an A student when it comes to post op diet but I know my triggers and I would like to think for the first time that I can remember I am achieving balance and something sustainable for life. I know what I can have every once in a while and what is on the absolutely forbidden list. I ate my usual tiny portions at my nieces birthday party this weekend and am back to my routine today. Now its Monday and Im back to my routine. I know I cant ever drink soda again because that is my trigger but for me to think I am never going to have white flour again I am only kidding myself I just know to limit it.

I didnt get this weight by eating a cupcake at a party or a slice of pizza I got this weight because I couldnt stop at 1. I know this goes against what a large group of people have here but everyone is going to have different triggers. For those of you that all of a sudden snapped your fingers and you became perfect eating specimens over night more power to you I know that is not me. Strive for balance otherwise you are just asking to relapse and with this procedure relapsing can have major complications.

22 minutes ago, Brent701 said:

I didnt cut out anything until I had to with pre op diet. My wife was all over me about the shock I would be in for. The pre op diet was hardest and once I had the procedure and the hunger was gone it was a breeze.

Im certainly not an A student when it comes to post op diet but I know my triggers and I would like to think for the first time that I can remember I am achieving balance and something sustainable for life. I know what I can have every once in a while and what is on the absolutely forbidden list. I ate my usual tiny portions at my nieces birthday party this weekend and am back to my routine today. Now its Monday and Im back to my routine. I know I cant ever drink soda again because that is my trigger but for me to think I am never going to have white flour again I am only kidding myself I just know to limit it.

I didnt get this weight by eating a cupcake at a party or a slice of pizza I got this weight because I couldnt stop at 1. I know this goes against what a large group of people have here but everyone is going to have different triggers. For those of you that all of a sudden snapped your fingers and you became perfect eating specimens over night more power to you I know that is not me. Strive for balance otherwise you are just asking to relapse and with this procedure relapsing can have major complications.

Thanks! This one of the best & honest posts I've read!

Continued success to you!

I slowly started doing them as I started the program. By time I got my surgery date I was already eating sugar free stuff and not eating fast foods. I figured the quicker I start it the easier the transition would be.