Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone get surgery without "needing" it?

And that is an extremely valid point, you don't have to bring total body breakdown, just desire and commitment to do better and to use your surgical tool to its best advantage.

I've been obese pretty much my whole adult life. I would give just about anything to go back to before I developed co-morbidities and have the surgery then. It could have saved me so much physical and emotional pain, not to mention the $$ spent on prescriptions, weight loss programs, and plus size clothes.

And apnea and reflux are 'small' problems, the way pre-diabetes is a 'small' problem. They lead to the big baddies, quicker than you can blink.

Amen Mrs G, when I was diagnosed with arthritis at 25, my physican told my parents and myself " it will be a little inconvenience" HaHa, 2 knees repkaced, surgery on other joints, inability to go full tilt on gyms and exercises. More than a Baby Blip after all!

I didn't get it out of medical necessity- the only weight-related condition I have is PCOS. I got it because I've been fat literally as long as I can remember, and I told myself that 2019 would be the year I did something about it once and for all. I had tried sooooo many different things, but I always regained lost weight and then some. So I had surgery 2/6/19, and I am so happy I did. I have a 5 yr old son, which was one of my biggest motivations for getting the surgery to lose the weight, and I can finally run around with him and do stuff with him and not be instantly tired.

And it just was the thing you needed to enhance the quality of your life! Enjoy being a "FUN" mommy, you really deserve it, in my book.👦&👩

I had the same as you apnea and reflux and my BMI was not even that high. I got the surgery last week to improve my quality of life. I have to
Lose 60 pounds to have a healthy BMI. Do what you feel is the right thing to do. Everyone has an opinion. Good luck.

Hey y'all
First post here, but I've been a forum lurker for about 8 months. Quick details about me: I finished all my clearances, and it's now being approved by insurance for sleeve surgery. I have BMI of 37, and sleep apnea, so I will be most likely be approved by insurance (should know in a week or two).
Over the last few months, I've been talking to many people at my local support groups about why they had surgery, and I am finding so many pretty much HAD to get it because of medical conditions (heart issues, diabetes, etc...).
When I heard about the surgery a few years ago, it seemed like a great tool to use to lose weight, as yo-yo diets through my years have been successful, but the weight most often comes back.
I'd like to know if any of you had surgery as a tool to weight loss, and not as a medical necessity. The only medical condition I have now is sleep apnea and some reflux, both are fairly easily managed through CPAP and Tums. I have heard the argument: what if I need surgery in a few years because if weight anyway (when it becomes a medical necessity), and that may happen. But right now the sleeve wouldn't improve the quality of any major medical conditions (as so many I am talking to had improved), and would just be a diet aid.
Can anyone who has had surgery in a similar situation tell me what you thought about it, and would you recommend doing this in the way I am describing (as a pose to continuing to try diet and exercise as a means to weight loss)?

Appreciate it!
Omg I am schedule to have surgery this Friday June 28th and I am still asking myself if I should get this surgery done bc I don't have my medical conditions but just fighting with my weight my whole life losing gaining like yoyo did you have your surgery already how do you feel?

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

well, I guess I'll come back to you with another question. Why would ANYONE have surgery unless there was a medically necessary reason? (plastic surgery exempted) If you believe that this may not be medically necessary, your comorbidities are well-controlled, and you think you can do it with diet/exercise, you may not be ready for bariatric surgery.
Based on the information you've posted, you have a BMI of 37 (obese) and you have at least 1 comorbidity that is known to be caused by or at least exacerbated by obesity and can contribute to reduced life span. So, as someone who has worked on the insurance side of things, you have medically necessary reasons for having the surgery, hence your assertion that you will "most likely be approved by insurance". Insurance companies do not like to pay for surgeries unless they are deemed medically necessary.
Maybe you're feeling like your support group members situations are more serious than yours? I agree that if someone has heart issues, the situation appears somewhat more critical. But, that doesn't reduce the significance of sleep apnea. Did you know that sleep apnea contributes to heart issues, hypertension, and increases your risk for stroke? I'd say that's pretty serious. You may not have those things right now, but these are known consequences of long term sleep apnea. Same thing with diabetes. If your support group-mates cite diabetes as a cause, then likely theirs has been poorly controlled, which contributes to long term side effects (vascular issues, neuropathy, retinopathy, kidney disorders).
For me: I didn't have heart issues. I didn't have diabetes. However, that doesn't mean that I wasn't on a direct path headed towards those things. My BMI was 46 at my highest. I had sleep apnea. I had some joint issues. All of those things were relatively well controlled. The key for me was that diet and exercise had not worked long term. I could lose, but I couldn't maintain.
Sorry for the length, I guess I just see it from the perspective of someone who has their feet in healthcare and insurance. Hope I haven't confused you more.
Thank you so much for that analysis I really appreciate make me feel a lil bit better trying to prepare myself mentally and keep repeating to myself this is the right path to do I need this for my mental and physical health and for my babies

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I got surgery to improve my quality of life. I’m 30, no medical issues and fairly active and healthy. I walk my dog daily, no reflux, apnea, don’t have problems moving, no back,joint pain. But that doesn’t mean that they couldn’t develop as I got older. I got surgery as a weight loss tool when nothing else has worked- I have tried everything else too. The frozen meal plan, the pills- good and bad ones, slim fast, the WeightWatchers, personal trainer. I love my body, I’m ok with all the curves that I had when I weighed around 225 in 2016. But the weight kept packing on. And as a teacher I was always on my feet, and eating those frozen meals to help lose weight, and I still packed on 30 more pounds In 2017, then lost some- 20 lbs, but it came right back and more. Come October 2018 I was around 280. I told my partner that if I even hit 300, I wouldn’t be able to live with myself anymore. Then, when 5 pounds a month kept tacking itself on even with walking and making changes to eating healthier nothing helped, since every time you lose weight it makes it harder to keep it off because your fat cells are already ready to grow again, I had to do something drastic. I made the decision to do Bariatric surgery, the DS LOOP, so that I would have a tool for weight loss- the only one that I have never tried before. My BMI at around 45 was the qualifying factor that made me a candidate- so my insurance would cover it. NOW I am 57 POUNDS down and my quality of life is truly so much batter. I realized I had stopped really looking in the mirror except for a quick glance, and now I can stand to ADMIRE. It doesn’t always feel like I’ve lost that much, or that I look that differently than before, so I take out the pre surgery pictures to remind myself that all the sacrifices are worth it. This is THE BEST GIFT I HAVE EVER GIVEN TO MYSELF. And even though it can be difficult, you see results immediately. Every time you choose the right foods 2 days in a row, you lose weight and don’t feel sick. It’s really up to you once the surgery is over. But it’s the easiest “diet” I’ve ever had!

Why not have surgery if it is going to improve your quality of life and possibly extend your life :)

On 6/18/2019 at 9:43 AM, sillykitty said:

I had no medical conditions whatsoever. I had the VSG to improve my immediate quality of life & to prevent future health issues. I only regret I didn’t do it sooner. Even without medical issues, I feel so much better now, both physically and mentally.

I agree with this a lot. I wish I'd had an opportunity to get this surgery before obesity wrecked havoc on my body. Also, as a life coach who deals with body positivity I've done a lot of research on the long terms effects of yoy-yo dieting on metabolism and other issues. I feel that if wls would stop that cycle it would probably be well worth it.

And, realistically, you probably wouldn't get approved if there weren't some reason the doctor felt it would benefit you.

On 06/18/2019 at 10:35, catwoman7 said:

I didn't have any medical issues (fortunately I might add, given my weight and age). I just needed a tool to lose weight since I was super morbidly obese and every weight loss effort I made had failed. And if I had not taken off the weight, serious medical issues were most likely right around the corner.

Same with me but with occasional asthma when sick or during allergy seasons. My BMI is over 35 at the age of 22 and been told by my primary doctor that I need to loose weight because unless unless I want to be pre-diabetic or want any health issue to come my way. Weight loss diets and exercise didn’t work for me and trust me I’ve done challenges at one of the gyms I live near and I would maintain but eventually gain back the weight and even more