Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how often did you feel buyers remorse having the surgery

Honestly never. I tried too long to do it on my own.

Never. There is nothing about my life that is not better now.

I'm very lucky too that at no point (even immediately after surgery) did I have any significant pain. I've never vomited. Once or twice I've eaten too fast or overeaten and was uncomfortable for 15 mins. I have no food intolerances.

I know many aren't as lucky.....

Edited by PWMDMD

Honestly, I never had any buyers remorse. I went in knowing I was having major surgery. Just because it is done laproscopic and had small incisions it is still MAJOR SURGERY and isn't going to be without some pain and exhaustion, even chances of complications. Its something I knew I had to get through but that I would get through it. The pain only lasted a couple days. The exhaustion was longer, maybe 2-3 weeks.

NEVER!!!! I JUST THINK ABOUT HOW MANY 80 YR OLD 300 POUNDERS I SAW WALKING THE STREETS!!!! NONE!!!!!! I'M GOOD ON THE BUYERS REMORSE....

The pain sucked...but I think after a week and a half it was more of an annoyance. It's been 3 weeks, and I still have a little twinge here and there. And if I bend over for too long, I notice it. But, really, I don't regret it. I've lost 40 pounds. My clothes don't fit. The only thing I have a problem with is knowing when to stop. It's like 1 bite makes me feel full. But really, I think about how much better I already feel, and how much better it's going to get, and it keeps me going.

Kind of like child birth. You hardly remember the the pain once you start experiencing the reward of a new life!

On 6/12/2019 at 5:13 PM, johnedwin said:

i just got sleeved on the 11th and just got home..i am in a lot of pain in my stomach area.. when did your pain really go away after the surgery.. when did you finally feel you were turning the corner.. i need some inspiration...i have been saying to myself what did i do....having the surgery...

It's going to take good 6-8 weeks for all those injured tissues to heal, for swelling to go down, and for normal functioning to start. The little external incisions are nothing compared to what went on inside with the muscle, stomach, and intestines (for RNY.) Progress comes in little steps - sometimes 2 steps forward, 1 step back. You have to be patient with the process. I felt I "turned a corner" at each monthly milestone. The biggest one was a 4 months when it seemed like I could increase volume a bit more.

This is where I think starting an exercise program really helps in the early weeks. It gives you goals, achievement, and a sense of control. You have no control over how your body decides to heal, how much you can eat one day and not the next, when the pain will hit, etc. It can make one feel helpless, vulnerable, and and even hopeless. Exercise gives you a powerful tool the YOU control! Start with walking. Get a step tracker. I never realized how motivating that little friend can be til I got one. Do wall pushups. Those are two easy ways to start and it's easy to see progress.

Just Wondering if the buyers remorse is moving along.

And really keen to hear about progress - eating, weight....

Edited by Biddy zz 🏳️🌈

I'm 2 days away from my RNY surgery and these responses have been extremely inspiring to read! Thank you all!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Until my surgery if you came to my city and Knox county Ohio you would see,numerous 72 year olds just trying to make it through the day and not crying. Thank You Bradley J Needleman MD for,renovating, realignment and a chance for a better thinner life. And on September 5th,i will Celebrate my very first Surgiversity, probably,drinking a toast with my Protein Shake, to be honest I may just remain an gastrointestinal cripple,for life, I fought the Pouch and the Pouch won and is still winning. But the Bible says This Too Shall Pass, so I will take GOD at his word and adopt a peaceful mental pattern and trust that EVERYTHING will be OKAY.

I would say never but that is not technically true. 99.9% of the time it is true. Sometimes if I am somewhere amazing food exists and i mean truly amazing, it really bothers me I can only eat a small amount and I am done. At those times and only those times, I think of how amazing it would be to eat as much as I wanted.

But that is a small sacrifice for the other 99.9% of the time I feel absolutely amazing and the extra 25 years I’ll live to see my babies grow up. A trade I would make 1000 times out of 1000.

I will simply echo others that have responded to this post. The first week is always tough and you much understand that you just went through surgery! Unfortunately, you can't just bounce right up and be 100% healed the next day. Cut yourself some slack and realise your body is now set about the task of healing and figuring out how to unlearn what it has learned over the years.

I still have issues a month out from surgery, where my body reminds me to slow down eating or to pay attention to the new cues I have that tell me enough is enough! Walking has become my new best friend and it's an awesome start to being active for the rest of my life.

Please be assured that each day, your body is adjusting to the new anatomy and it will get easier-- I promise you.

But to answer your question about regret..... NEVER! :D

No regrets. The first 2 days the wind pain in my shoulder was really bad, panting through contractions kinda bad in between morphine, but stopped dead teatime day 2. My only stomach pain was forgetting to be careful and pulling or straining wounds, or taking more than tiniest sips.

The rest of the first 4 weeks was a real challenge to get Protein and liquid in and if I never have to eat anything purées again I will be happy, but I’m a pickyish eater, so struggled maybe more than some. Pain of that wore off fast when onto soft then full diet.

Did have total mood rollercoaster too. Shock to my system of the surgery, massive nutrition change and hormonal chaos often caused by both those things, but also fat dumping stored hormones back into bloodstream as it breaks down. If I regretted then I don’t count it as it was typical no light at the end of the tunnel, woe is me, PMSish episodes that passed fast (you’ll see I posted about it).

Now, exactly 23 weeks out, 60% of my weight lost, walked 5k today and only broke a little sweat and have never had a single regret. Hope it’s the same for you!

Edited by BrighterSide