Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maintain weightloss after mini bypass

I have surgery in 6 weeks and my biggest fear is loosing weight than gaining it all back. Is anyone 3 years post op or more and kept the weight off. If so what is your diet? Do you need to eat really healthy to maintain weightloss?

Edited by Nikkipj

1 hour ago, Nikkipj said:

If so what is your diet? Do you need to eat really healthy to maintain weightloss?

Hmmmmmmmm, what is my diet? I guess it is not particularly healthy. I eat too much sugar, consume too much vegan convenience patties, drink too much coffee and have erratic eating patterns in general. I also forget to drink enough Water when the days get rough.

I don't eat meat or dairy, animal Protein rarely (the occasional tuna, salmon or egg). Lots of fruit, legumes and vegetables. bread, rice, Pasta is something I might consume comparatively a lot one week and almost none the other week, same with nuts and/or nut butters or Protein Bars.

I do IF usually 14-16 h a day. I usually don't eat anything before noon. However, that is not 100% consistent because of several 24 h shifts a months.

Edited by summerset

I had a 12-lb bounce back (as you probably know, a 10-20 lb regain after hitting your lowest weight is unfortunately very common, although not inevitable), but other than that, yes, I've maintained my weight. After I was about a year out, I switched over to calorie counting, which I still do. I can maintain my weight as long as I average 1700 kcal/day or less. I can eat pretty much anything other than a lot of fat or sugar at one sitting (which I shouldn't be doing *anyway*). I do eat healthy (other than the very occasional treat), and I track everything that goes into my mouth and will for the rest of my life. During my numerous pre-op weight loss attempts, once I quit closely monitoring myself (frequent weighing and tracking what I was eating), the weight came back. Not happening this time...

6 hours ago, Nikkipj said:

I have surgery in 6 weeks and my biggest fear is loosing weight than gaining it all back. Is anyone 3 years post op or more and kept the weight off. If so what is your diet? Do you need to eat really healthy to maintain weightloss?

I'm full bypass rather than mini. But I share your fear and that is why I'm so focused on learning NEW relationships and developing NEW behaviors with food. I actively SEEK and WANT to "eat really healthy" as often, and as much as I can--understanding that life happens, and recidivism is a real deal--especially for someone who made it to a lifetime invite to the Obesity Ball.

I got my operation and have a new tummy/gut tool. But my fat brain, is still my big fat brain. And I'm using my honeymoon period to recondition it--or maybe to condition it for the very first time in my life but using good sturdy principles taught by my surgical team and RD. I depend on their rules, cuz they know from experience what works. I'm training my dragon (fat brain).

So your question really raises a red flag with me. The concept that "small portions" will see you through to life-long weigh maintenance at your goal weight is just that--a myth. Dr. Weiner addresses this in some of his latest YouTube videos. He says you simply can NOT pretend to believe that myth--it will let you down every time.

I have the mini and have been stable for 2 years. My weight stays between 134 and 138 based on Water, Fiber and calorie intake. I gain if I don’t get enough calories. I pretty must eat anything in small quantities. eggs, beef, chicken, salmon,tuna, veggies, some fruits, Protein Pasta, occasionally Protein Shakes or bars. I am 5’6” and my high weight was 269.

1 minute ago, FloraBama Girl said:

I have the mini and have been stable for 2 years. My weight stays between 134 and 138 based on Water, Fiber and calorie intake. I gain if I don’t get enough calories. I pretty must eat anything in small quantities. eggs, beef, chicken, salmon,tuna, veggies, some fruits, Protein Pasta, occasionally Protein Shakes or bars. I am 5’6” and my high weight was 269.

Wow. You are so lucky. At 16months that is not my experience. :(

I'm 5 years post op. I flux between 155-160 and I'm pretty happy there. I would prefer 150-155 flux but I eat whatever I want. I also practice IF and run 4-5 days a week to keep the weight off.