Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help I gained 5 pounds & my surgery is in two weeks!

Today was my pre-op diet and I got on the scale and it went up 5 lbs since my last drs visit a month ago. I will admit I have been eating the foods I will no longer be able to eat for a long while... kind of to get it out my system, however I'm extremely nervous because now I have to really focus and do the pre-op diet wich is liquids and one healthy meal. The doctor did state that I needed to lose weight or the surgery could be put on hold! A ton of emotions and thoughts are going through my mind, will I make it? can I do it? what if I don't lose the weight? I just need some words of encouragement thank you...

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I gained 7 pounds from my last nutrition to my pre-op appt with my Dr. Initially he told me no pre-op diet, but told me I needed to do a week of shakes. I was so worried I wouldn't be able to do it. The first day I was so sick. I'm diabetic and was heavily medication/insulin dependent. I called the nutritionist and asked her what to do. Sge said I needed to do a special diabetic diet instead and I got 4 shakes or bars and 1 meal with 4 oz of Protein and 1 salad or cup of vegetables.

It was very hard, but I got through it. I lost an incredible 16 pounds in 1 week.

I know you can do it and it will make your surgery easier for your Dr.

Drink lots of fluids and sf items to help fill you up.

Good luck!💗

I gained 6 lbs right before my surgery and freaked out. I had been told the same about delaying the surgery and I was doing the same eating all the food I wasn't going to have again. All my worrying was for nothing though. I was honest before I was even weighed that I was going to be heavier and they told me "you wouldn't be here if you didn't have a problem and could do this on your own."

So I wish you luck and hopefully your office was as forgiving as mine.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, fulfillingfavor said:

Today was my pre-op diet and I got on the scale and it went up 5 lbs since my last drs visit a month ago. I will admit I have been eating the foods I will no longer be able to eat for a long while... kind of to get it out my system, however I'm extremely nervous because now I have to really focus and do the pre-op diet wich is liquids and one healthy meal. The doctor did state that I needed to lose weight or the surgery could be put on hold! A ton of emotions and thoughts are going through my mind, will I make it? can I do it? what if I don't lose the weight? I just need some words of encouragement thank you...

I just left my class and I gained a pound from last week. I thought this week was better as far as my nutrition and Water intake. You have the ability to get back on track and finish strong, you will make mistakes and that's fine. If you really want to proceed with this surgery and I know you do, give the next 2 weeks your best and be kind to yourself. Come here for support and positive feedback, then continue to invest in you and push through. Your victory is right there, you've got this.

I gained 7 pounds from my last nutrition to my pre-op appt with my Dr. Initially he told me no pre-op diet, but told me I needed to do a week of shakes. I was so worried I wouldn't be able to do it. The first day I was so sick. I'm diabetic and was heavily medication/insulin dependent. I called the nutritionist and asked her what to do. Sge said I needed to do a special diabetic diet instead and I got 4 shakes or bars and 1 meal with 4 oz of Protein and 1 salad or cup of vegetables.
It was very hard, but I got through it. I lost an incredible 16 pounds in 1 week.
I know you can do it and it will make your surgery easier for your Dr.
Drink lots of fluids and sf items to help fill you up.
Good luck![emoji175]
Wow, thank you for sharing that with me. Very encouraging. And congrats on your weightloss!

I gained 6 lbs right before my surgery and freaked out. I had been told the same about delaying the surgery and I was doing the same eating all the food I wasn't going to have again. All my worrying was for nothing though. I was honest before I was even weighed that I was going to be heavier and they told me "you wouldn't be here if you didn't have a problem and could do this on your own."

So I wish you luck and hopefully your office was as forgiving as mine.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you for sharing!

I just left my class and I gained a pound from last week. I thought this week was better as far as my nutrition and Water intake. You have the ability to get back on track and finish strong, you will make mistakes and that's fine. If you really want to proceed with this surgery and I know you do, give the next 2 weeks your best and be kind to yourself. Come here for support and positive feedback, then continue to invest in you and push through. Your victory is right there, you've got this.
Thank you for your encouragement, this surgery dose mean allot to me #finish strong

45 minutes ago, fulfillingfavor said:

Thank you for your encouragement, this surgery dose mean allot to me #finish strong

#FinishStrong so you can start your new chapter as Invincible.

You have to be able to do this pre-op or you won't be able to do this post-op. The surgery is just a tool. The rest is up to you.

3 hours ago, GradyCat said:

You have to be able to do this pre-op or you won't be able to do this post-op. The surgery is just a tool. The rest is up to you.

You summed it up perfectly. The pre-op is preparation for the post-op, post-new mindset...This is not a drill, this is the real deal. If the weight gain is fork gain and not medical beyond our own control gain, then we must re-evaluate. What's in your tool box???

I gained 4 pounds between my consult and my pre-op appointment. I was however at the beginning of my period at that appointment and told my NP. He never even mentioned that it would be a problem. I am now on day 3 of my pre-op diet and am down to my consult weight again. Don't freak out!!!

if you’ve been eating some of your favourite foods prior to starting the pre op diet some of that weight could just be extra Fluid. i can vary 5-6lbs in one day so have learnt the scale isn’t always an accurate guide, but it’s also how they measure us so hopefully by the time you’ve done the pre-op diet you’ll be back down and lose extra weight as well. :) I hope everything goes well with the pre-op diet now, and that your medical team is supportive