Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hoping someone can shed some light on why I might be feeling so sad & weepy. I'm 5 weeks out from GSV and feel great otherwise. I am also diagnosed with depression, but it was under total control before surgery. Do you think feeling sad & wanting to cry is normal, or could my meds not be working as well? I hate to tell my psychiatrist as she didn't want me to have the surgery in the first place. Thanks in advance for your insights.

It seems like your hormones are readjusting and could be normal. Check in with your psychiatrist as she might be best to assess what you are going through.

Wishing you the best.

I felt weepy and depressed for about 3 weeks after surgery. I don't have depression, but the hormonal changes really messed me up. I cried at nothing.

The surgery DID mess with my psychiatric meds, too. I take them for anxiety. You should be honest with your psychiatrist because you may need dose changes or complete med changes. I had to be pulled off one completely, and another one I had tripled in dose.

My love affair with food had to stop and I found that, the most depressing during my first 2 months post op. I loved having lunches with my co-workers, drinking and partying on the weekend with friends and hubby.... and then I had to completely change my lifestyle! I can't eat with people because I lose focus and end up throwing up. I stayed home on my weekends too.... BUT..... little by little, I started learning how my new stomach works. Slowly but surely, I started socializing again and eating at the same time without getting sick.

Give it time. Be patient. You're gonna be great!

See your doctor if it gets too bad.

I am six months post-op and have clinical depression. I went through a small "cycle" of depression about a month ago with no apparent trigger, although it could have been surgery-hormone-related, but it's cleared up now. Hang in there.

On 06/11/2019 at 08:24, Cameo325 said:

Hoping someone can shed some light on why I might be feeling so sad & weepy. I'm 5 weeks out from GSV and feel great otherwise. I am also diagnosed with depression, but it was under total control before surgery. Do you think feeling sad & wanting to cry is normal, or could my meds not be working as well? I hate to tell my psychiatrist as she didn't want me to have the surgery in the first place. Thanks in advance for your insights.

It could be that food and habits associated with food were comforting you, and now that comfort is suddenly gone.
I know that I’ve personally experienced this at times.
One thing I’ve done to combat this is to throw myself into a workout routine that eats up some down time. The bonus is you can’t eat or think about while working out, and you get the positive reinforcement of a sense of accomplishment.

I’m also thinking that you might want to change psychiatrists and find someone who specializes in bariatric patients.
I had one for my first couple months post-op, and she got me through some really rough moments.

I think you should speak to your doctor and your psychiatrist. Your psychiatrist is a medial and mental health professional. You should be able to speak with her.

Happened to me, about the same time. It came and went, and life went back to normal. I hope you find the same results! Remember your body is going through a change and in time you will get all your nutritional needs met and feel better; I'm sure of it! Keep up the good work.

On 06/11/2019 at 7:12 PM ,Sheribear68 said:

It could be that food and habits associated with food were comforting you, and now that comfort is suddenly gone.

I know that I’ve personally experienced this at times.

One thing I’ve done to combat this is to throw myself into a workout routine that eats up some down time. The bonus is you can’t eat or think about while working out, and you get the positive reinforcement of a sense of accomplishment.

I’m also thinking that you might want to change psychiatrists and find someone who specializes in bariatric patients.

I had one for my first couple months post-op, and she got me through some really rough moments.

Yes there is no shame asking for help if you need it. The surgery can upset your emotions, make you doubt the wisdom of your surgery and even worse, make you doubt yourself. Try to find someone who knowns, understands and is willing to work with bariatric patients, we are not always the easier traditional clients but equally worthy of help. And remember, although we are your peers and not professionals, we do care, we will help if we can!

I think you are in a kind of mourning. We all used food as a self medication for our feelings and now you can't even when you need to. I am trying to replace food with other healthier things like exercise and self help books and meditation.... Trying being the optimal word. I think it is normal to be weepy though.... I have been very irritable. Hang in there! It will get better.