Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lies to tell people about what surgery I am having

On 7/26/2019 at 5:17 PM, LL1982 said:

Sorry, didn't realize you quoted me until just now. I plan to tell people that the initial weight I lost from the "hiatal hernia surgery" motivated me enough to start exercising, eat right, and work my butt off. Who knows, maybe down the road I'll just be honest and tell people I had the surgery done. It'd be nice to get to the point where I don't care at all what other people think. Best of luck to you. When do you have your surgery? Or did you already have it?

No worries! That's a good explanation for the weight loss. If my coworkers were decent enough Id probably come clean but they're not. Hopefully you get to be honest and feel comfortable. I just happen to work in a small office with horrible people. Good luck to you too! My surgery is on 8/5, this upcoming Monday. I told my coworkers I'm going on vacation to Mexico lol. I only have a week off though. I'm scared its not enough. Did u have your surgery yet?

10 hours ago, MarvelGirl25 said:

No worries! That's a good explanation for the weight loss. If my coworkers were decent enough Id probably come clean but they're not. Hopefully you get to be honest and feel comfortable. I just happen to work in a small office with horrible people. Good luck to you too! My surgery is on 8/5, this upcoming Monday. I told my coworkers I'm going on vacation to Mexico lol. I only have a week off though. I'm scared its not enough. Did u have your surgery yet?

No, I see my surgeon for the last time before surgery this Thursday. I can’t believe it’s almost here. I get what you mean about the co-worker thing. Mine aren’t exactly decent either. My sister-in-law went back to work one week after having gastric bypass. My surgeon told me that if I couldn’t get 2 weeks off from work, that I could go back to work in a week. If you’re not feeling your best, you could lie yet again and say that you contracted a virus in Mexico😋 Best of luck to you!!!

I've just decided to tell a few coworkers. I didn't know what else to do. I'm going to be out of work for 2 weeks, then come back and not be able to go out to lunch or drinks and start rapidly losing weight. I didn't think there was a way around it.

13 hours ago, LL1982 said:

No, I see my surgeon for the last time before surgery this Thursday. I can’t believe it’s almost here. I get what you mean about the co-worker thing. Mine aren’t exactly decent either. My sister-in-law went back to work one week after having gastric bypass. My surgeon told me that if I couldn’t get 2 weeks off from work, that I could go back to work in a week. If you’re not feeling your best, you could lie yet again and say that you contracted a virus in Mexico😋 Best of luck to you!!!

Isn't it exciting!? I already had my last visit with my surgeon last week and tomorrow I do labs at the hospital to get ready for the big day on Monday.

That's reassuring to hear about your sister-in-law! I sit all day anyways so hopefully it isn't too bad. I'll keep that virus thing in mind lol. Good luck on your recovery and with this wonderful journey! :)

6 hours ago, MarvelGirl25 said:

Isn't it exciting!? I already had my last visit with my surgeon last week and tomorrow I do labs at the hospital to get ready for the big day on Monday.

That's reassuring to hear about your sister-in-law! I sit all day anyways so hopefully it isn't too bad. I'll keep that virus thing in mind lol. Good luck on your recovery and with this wonderful journey! :)

It’s exciting, yet at the same time I’m really scared. I often wonder if I’m making the right decision. I never thought I’d have bariatric surgery, I never thought I’d get this big. At the same time I’m tired of being miserable, which makes me want the surgery. I wish you the best of luck. I’ll definitely ask you how it went😊

Benign tumor removed from stomachs Wall. Question- do you have a work physical?

Not sure what your work physical is and the discretion of that process but it is something to consider I have a health physical in house but it would not leak Other offices would show no mercy. Best to you.

funny story. My neighbor asked me if I was sick because she hasn't seen me working in the yard lately or go to work. I told her hernia surgery. A few hours later she and another neighbor brought over a whole cake and a huge pan of lasagna, I am about to have a breakdown lol

Take it all to work tomorrow, Didn't Your Mama tell you to share with the Less fortunate Anyway? Out of sight leads to Out of mind and I'm in favor of all the things taking a hike that could increase my behind. Now I have a discrete handful on each side instead of a surface wide enough to show Drive- In movies And Thank My Surgeon And God Himself for a chance to look the best I ever can be- I once was sweet and now I am Sensational- A Great Trade-off --Me Thinks!

I agree. Share the food with family, friends or coworkers. I would need to get it out of the house ASAP! I’m pre-op, and am working on that problem.

I told everyone from work I went on a 10-day cruise, and took 2-weeks off. No one from work knows anything. My father is the only one in my family that knows... I told all family and friends I had my gallbladder removed... If anything happens and I need any other procedures done I will use the appendix removed... My business is my business....

2 hours ago, Livelychick said:

You don't have to tell them anything. I didn't. You are not legally required to share. You can just tell them that you're having a surgery and don't feel comfortable talking about it yet.

There are lots of things that aren't legally required, but are expected as social norms. It's not realistic to stonewall everyone in your life and expect to have continued positive relationships with them. People are generally asking questions because they care on some level.

I would agree that some people in a person social sphere are caring. However, they can fool you to. I have always just chosen not to share. At work, and with some family members. I still remain of the mind that my health & health care are my business and no one else’s.