Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

can't drink water

Yes, it's common. During my first month, I was only able to drink the Nestle bottled Water. Also my stomach didn't hurt much if I put crystal light. On my fourth month now, I can drink any type of water now, even tap :-)

17 minutes ago, Happy Joy said:

I can't drink Water whenever I try I feel so much pain is that a common problem cause this the first time this happened to me

I would suggest that you go and talk to your surgeon/medical team. Being able to drink Water is essential. If there is problems it could be something physical since you are experiencing pain. Pain is a always a warning sign (except for the damn gas problem). I am about 12 days out and havnt had any problems.

Make sure you are sipping! Take one at a time. Your sip should be so small that it could rest under your tongue (in that pocket) and you could talk. Sip, hold, breathe all air out and swallow. The pressure pain comes from swallowing air and early out is very uncomfortable. One sip too many and youll get a tight pinch and a lot of pressure. Before the pinch youll feel the pressure and that's how youll know to stop and slow down. It's a lot of work to be in tune with your new anatomy and change old habits but its very much worth it!

Sip, sip, sip, don't gulp. Also try flavored water or even iced tea if you're not stomaching Water well. You can't risk getting dehydrated.

You might try room temp Water, if you have been trying it cold. Seems to go down easier with less cramping.

Or even go to warmer teas like green, decaff and herbal. Each of us is wired differently so there is no " One Size Fits All" in the pursuit of Weight Loss.😛

I can't drink Water whenever I try I feel so much pain is that a common problem cause this the first time this happened to me
I had/have this issue and I'm 4 months out. I talk to my surgeon and she said it has to do with the PH in the Water so adding some lemon or drinking crystal light helps. See if it makes a difference! It definitely did for me!

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Can you also drink diet teas such as Diet Snapple? It was on my list of allowable drinks. I have been mixing half diet peach tea and Water in a bottle and keep it with me on the go. For some reason, right now plain water just makes me a little nauseous unless it is ice cold. But the tea mixture or crystal light with lemon has been working.

Edited by lyladyp

I had my surgery on Monday and this is by far the worst problem that I had. I couldn’t drink so they kept me an extra day on an IV. This morning suddenly the pain subsided a lot. Surgeon didn’t think it was to much of an issue. But I hope it gets better for you!