Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op—the things they did not tell me

Hi all! I had my surgery on 6/4. Leading up to it the nutritionist told me the pain would be similar to my breast reduction that I’d had many years ago. Well- the pain when I woke up from surgery was truly the worst thing I’ve ever experienced. I had horrible nausea, but the chest/gas pains were the worst. Wow! Every day has been better and I’m up and walking and not needing my pain meds except to sleep. The nutritionist also told me I wouldn’t be hungry after the surgery. Wrong! I’m on full liquids but I’m dreaming of scrambled eggs and rotisserie chicken. I was hoping I’d have no appetite. Anyway, why do some people do full liquid for a month and some for two weeks? Just different doctors?

Hi all! I had my surgery on 6/4. Leading up to it the nutritionist told me the pain would be similar to my breast reduction that I’d had many years ago. Well- the pain when I woke up from surgery was truly the worst thing I’ve ever experienced. I had horrible nausea, but the chest/gas pains were the worst. Wow! Every day has been better and I’m up and walking and not needing my pain meds except to sleep. The nutritionist also told me I wouldn’t be hungry after the surgery. Wrong! I’m on full liquids but I’m dreaming of scrambled eggs and rotisserie chicken. I was hoping I’d have no appetite. Anyway, why do some people do full liquid for a month and some for two weeks? Just different doctors?
My surgery is scheduled for the 24th and they said I'd have to do clear liquid diet for 2 weeks, then 2 weeks of anything liquid diet.....also weeks 4 to 6 would be pureed foods.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

3 hours ago, Jessviera said:

The nutritionist also told me I wouldn’t be hungry after the surgery. Wrong! I’m on full liquids but I’m dreaming of scrambled eggs and rotisserie chicken. I was hoping I’d have no appetite.

That sounds like head hunger vs. physical hunger. Surgery has no effect on cravings.

Each surgeon has slightly different requirements and it varies somewhat.

20 hours ago, Jessviera said:

Hey Jess! I am so with you!!! I went into it not worried about the pain at all, because I had ankle surgery (plate & screws) several years ago & felt no pain. I was like, no big, I got this. All I was worried about was nausea. Woke up, an hour or two later I was like... holy crap this is so painful it cannot be real. Felt like I'd been stabbed. I'm day 16 or 17 now & feel absolutely fine. The pain was manageable after a day or so and gone altogether in a few days.

My nausea was terrible the first night. Dry heaves, etc. But better the next day. My gas wasn't too terrible.

Hunger - AGREED. And whenever someone says "it's head hunger" I kinda want to scream. Cause the first week post op, you're eating nothing. Why wouldn't you be hungry? I was starving. You ate nothing the day before surgery. Nothing the day of surgery. The day after you're at like, 100 calories of Soup. Yeah, you're hungry, IMO. I was like no hunger thing is a LIE. And I was willing to break about 85 laws that first week for some eggs and ground beef.

Not sure when you're allowed to incorporate food in, but for me it's SO MUCH better with actual food. Now that I'm eating, I'm finally not hungry. HAHA. But for real, I'd never have been able to eat this little without being hungry so that no hunger thing will probably even out for you in another week or two.

And you'll notice that every person on this forum seems to have different instructions from their doctor. Mine doesn't care about coffee, at all. Others are no coffee for like, ever. Yet mine was anti Jello & pudding the first two weeks which many encourage you to have. *shrugs*

34 minutes ago, JanJan19 said:

Hey Jess! I am so with you!!! I went into it not worried about the pain at all, because I had ankle surgery (plate & screws) several years ago & felt no pain. I was like, no big, I got this. All I was worried about was nausea. Woke up, an hour or two later I was like... holy crap this is so painful it cannot be real. Felt like I'd been stabbed. I'm day 16 or 17 now & feel absolutely fine. The pain was manageable after a day or so and gone altogether in a few days.

My nausea was terrible the first night. Dry heaves, etc. But better the next day. My gas wasn't too terrible.

Hunger - AGREED. And whenever someone says "it's head hunger" I kinda want to scream. Cause the first week post op, you're eating nothing. Why wouldn't you be hungry? I was starving. You ate nothing the day before surgery. Nothing the day of surgery. The day after you're at like, 100 calories of Soup. Yeah, you're hungry, IMO. I was like no hunger thing is a LIE. And I was willing to break about 85 laws that first week for some eggs and ground beef.

Not sure when you're allowed to incorporate food in, but for me it's SO MUCH better with actual food. Now that I'm eating, I'm finally not hungry. HAHA. But for real, I'd never have been able to eat this little without being hungry so that no hunger thing will probably even out for you in another week or two.

And you'll notice that every person on this forum seems to have different instructions from their doctor. Mine doesn't care about coffee, at all. Others are no coffee for like, ever. Yet mine was anti Jello & pudding the first two weeks which many encourage you to have. *shrugs*

Thank you 🙌🏻 What stage of foods are you on now?

Hey! I’m in the exact same boat and was sleeved on 6/4...lol! I woke up thinking I was dying. LOL a few drugs later and about 8 more hours and I was ok. I literally had a few dreams about biting into food I was so hungry. While liquids helped for awhile I’m now super hungry again and dreaming of cottage cheese and egg. Protein Shakes, Soup and yogurt are not doing it now. Im super hydrated. This girl wants food. And the overkill of artificial sweeteners is a little much. It’s in everything but the broth. Can’t wait for a little variety. I have another week to go.

18 minutes ago, Jessviera said:

Thank you 🙌🏻 What stage of foods are you on now?

I think I'm technically on pureed but for real, pureed to me is ground beef and ground chicken. I'm not pureeing anything. I weight and measure everything, eat in 4oz increments. Zero issues. Tonight I had 3 oz of ground chicken with hot sauce and 1oz of blue cheese. Earlier I had eggs with goat cheese and spinach. I also try and add Protein to my coffee in the morning to kick up the protein as high as possible. I got that GENEPRO that I think I saw someone recommend. It's real trial and error. Some stuff it curdles in, disgusting. Found a YouTube video, if you put it in a shaker cup and add even 2oz of milk or Creamer and shake it up, it becomes pretty smooth. Then pour the coffee on top & shake again. Adds 30G protein for 60 calories.

9 minutes ago, djgirl19 said:

Hey! I’m in the exact same boat and was sleeved on 6/4...lol! I woke up thinking I was dying. LOL a few drugs later and about 8 more hours and I was ok. I literally had a few dreams about biting into food I was so hungry. While liquids helped for awhile I’m now super hungry again and dreaming of cottage cheese and egg. Protein Shakes, Soup and yogurt are not doing it now. Im super hydrated. This girl wants food. And the overkill of artificial sweeteners is a little much. It’s in everything but the broth. Can’t wait for a little variety. I have another week to go.

God the cottage cheese craving week one is REAL. The Protein Shakes made me want to vomit (mentally, I was never actually sick) and was so over Soup that week. My week one was no yogurt unless it was drinkable. Actually I think that was supposed to be two weeks for me.

Yes the shakes are not my fave. But it’s the artificial sweetener aftertaste that is constant in my mouth right now that’s killing me. I’ve been doing blended shakes to make them more drinkable but I can’t wait to have some better options bc sweets are not my thing and fake sweets are definitely not! Counting the days, which feel long but really aren’t.

I forgot to mention, powdered Peanut Butter is actually not terrible. It adds like 50 calories and 5G Protein. I blend with chocolate or banana Premier Protein & it gives you a new flavor.

13 hours ago, JanJan19 said:

I think I'm technically on pureed but for real, pureed to me is ground beef and ground chicken. I'm not pureeing anything. I weight and measure everything, eat in 4oz increments. Zero issues. Tonight I had 3 oz of ground chicken with hot sauce and 1oz of blue cheese. Earlier I had eggs with goat cheese and spinach. I also try and add Protein to my coffee in the morning to kick up the Protein as high as possible. I got that GENEPRO that I think I saw someone recommend. It's real trial and error. Some stuff it curdles in, disgusting. Found a YouTube video, if you put it in a shaker cup and add even 2oz of milk or Creamer and shake it up, it becomes pretty smooth. Then pour the coffee on top & shake again. Adds 30G protein for 60 calories.

It's not possible to get 30 g of protein for 60 calories. There are 4 calories in every gram of protein. So the minimum would be 120 calories for 30 g, or it couldn't have that much protein, one or the other.

Considering GENEPRO was sued and lost for making false claims on several points, including inflating their protein content, I would not trust this company or any claims they make.

https://casetext.com/case/si03-inc-v-musclegen-research-inc

16 hours ago, djgirl19 said:

I hate the fake sweeteners too. I’ve started adding a little garlic powder, salt and pepper to Fage 2% plain Greek yogurt and it’s a nice break from sweet. But oh man, do i was some eggs and cottage cheese! Hang in there!!