Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am happy your surgery went well! I actually did not find this website until 2 nights before my surgery. I was looking online for some current experiences, not sure why this site did not show up before. Anyways, it sounds as if you have had a pretty good hospital experience and I am happy that you have such a supportive CEO-wow! I wish you the best!

Nine days post op and still going strong. My surgeons plan involved soft blended in week 2 and 3 so I have tried a couple of items off his list. Re-fried Beans, Ricotta cheese, and a bunch of different Soups. So far everything has settled well. I have not had any vomiting or food discomfort yet. I am down to 413 this morning, which feels like a lot from my surgery weight of 428.

On 6/10/2019 at 11:28 PM, JanJan19 said:

Hi Arrivan! Sorry I'm seeing this a bit late as today was the big day! Scouring the internet for actual stories is SO FAMILIAR because that was me leading up to my date. (I just had the sleeve done on 5/23)

If you're like me you'll probably be back on line in the next 24 hours or so wondering if everything you're feeling is normal or not. :)

My first 24 hours was wayyy more painful than I thought. But I also went into it not at all concerned about pain. For some reason, I thought I could hack the pain. Not so much, but it was way better in a day or so and barely a thought within a week maybe?

You'll hear varying stories from every source you look at. (YouTube vloggers are helpful too!) My experience has been fairly easy so far. Almost too easy. I've had no issues drinking liquids from pretty much day one. I carefully and slowly sipped while in the hospital. I very carefully and slowly sipped the first few days at home. I'm only 2 weeks out & now I don't even think about it that much. I have 65oz of cold Water in my containers in the fridge each morning and I work my way through them.

I also had no issues when I transitioned to food. I'm easily able to get down ground meats, eggs, yougurt, tuna.< br />
How everyone reacts is so different. If something feels horribly off, contact your doctor. Otherwise, rest assured everyone's experience is just a little different & you can find people here to compare notes with.

Also, enjoy the four weeks! I am self employed and work from home. I had things that needed to get done so I gave myself four days and honestly it was all I needed. I've been fine running errands & tonight did a little LIGHT gardening - 17ISH days post surgery.

That is a beautiful story!!!! Congrats to you!!!

22 minutes ago, arrivan said:

Nine days post op and still going strong. My surgeons plan involved soft blended in week 2 and 3 so I have tried a couple of items off his list. Re-fried Beans, Ricotta cheese, and a bunch of different Soups. So far everything has settled well. I have not had any vomiting or food discomfort yet. I am down to 413 this morning, which feels like a lot from my surgery weight of 428.

Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!! I just had mine done June 16 - Ready for some puree foods......! Lol. Congrats!

YAY, YOU!!! Keep it up! I found that watching YouTube videos helpful & encouraging. Just search “Bariatric” or “VGS”. There are some really good ones.

Well Monday started week 3 for me post surgery (15 days) and I have officially lost 100lbs from where I started the program. I have my post op followup on Friday and I expect to return to work next Monday. I am up and moving around great, the surgical glue is starting to come off and it gets caught on my clothing a lot which is not comfortable. I am hoping I'll be cleared to start swimming in a couple of weeks as that was my preferred form of exercise in the 6 month pre-op plan.

I am having no difficulties with the approved foods and am still doing two Protein Shakes a day, but that had been my schedule for the last year so it feels normal. According to my plan week three is Soft Foods so yesterday I was able to have an egg and provolone omelette which I ate about 3/4ths of with no side effects other than a very heavy burp about 10 minutes later. Today I had canned chicken with mustard was only able to do about half of the 1/4 cup recommendation before feeling full. The solid type foods feel different than the shakes, like volume wise I fill up so much faster.

I am surprised with how few calories I am eating how much energy I have. Like I have to keep reminding myself I just had surgery and can't do a lot of stuff yet. I feel like I am in my 20's again. Before surgery I was pretty much a hermit. I would work and come home and hated going anywhere. Seatbelts didn't fit, most chairs didn't fit, and I was terrified of embarrassing myself. I feel like I have come so far already and am looking forward to being cleared to exercise, which is something the old me would have never said.

Congratulations, and great job on the weight you have already lost before and after surgery! I noticed I had a lot more energy after surgery, which also surprised me because of how few calories I was consuming right after. I am coming up on 5 months post-op now, and it stills amazes me how drastically different my energy levels are now vs before I had the surgery. Good luck on your journey!

Had my follow up with my surgeon today and it went really well. He was super happy with my progress and said my wounds are healing great. Best part is he cleared me to go back in the pool and start swimming again. Huge deal for me because my energy levels have been through the roof so I am looking forward to getting back to my swimming routine at the local YMCA.

Still doing soft foods for another 3 weeks, but honestly it hasn't been rough at all. I have a bunch of stuff on the suggested meal plan that I really like. I have been eating a lot of omelettes with cheese, I had Mahi Mahi with salsa, Canned chicken with mustard, and of course re fried Beans. Still getting a Protein Shake for Breakfast every day just to cover my bases.

Sounds like you are doing great!! Keep it up!

Just a quick update. Down to 353 which is a really good feeling. Thank goodness for the local thrift stores and second hand shops because I have dropped from a size 58 to 42 in pants alone and have pretty much needed to replace my wardrobe multiple times over the last few months.

Huge milestone for me, I ran a 5K for Halloween. I was always the anti-run type guy. In fact I used to tell my coworkers that if they ever saw me running they should run too because the end of the world was behind me. Fast forward and I completed my first 5K which honestly felt amazing. I have signed up for another one in December this time doing a santa dash and I am hoping to improve on my times.

Still have no complications and no regrets. I feel 100 times better and younger. I even managed to out walk my kids trick or treating on Halloween. As the one who always had to quit early it felt good for the kids to tap out first.

10 hours ago, arrivan said:

Just a quick update. Down to 353 which is a really good feeling. Thank goodness for the local thrift stores and second hand shops because I have dropped from a size 58 to 42 in pants alone and have pretty much needed to replace my wardrobe multiple times over the last few months.

Huge milestone for me, I ran a 5K for Halloween. I was always the anti-run type guy. In fact I used to tell my coworkers that if they ever saw me running they should run too because the end of the world was behind me. Fast forward and I completed my first 5K which honestly felt amazing. I have signed up for another one in December this time doing a santa dash and I am hoping to improve on my times.

Still have no complications and no regrets. I feel 100 times better and younger. I even managed to out walk my kids trick or treating on Halloween. As the one who always had to quit early it felt good for the kids to tap out first.

WOW!! You're doing great!! Kudos galore!

LOL@ running because the end of the world was behind you! Very funny!

I'm betting that your kids are very proud of you!

Good luck on the Santa Dash! I hope you outrun ALL the reindeer!