Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Impatience & how to prevent loose skin

I am just over 1 month post-op gastric sleeve. I was at 399 the day of surgery. I'm now down to 259 or so. Lost about 40 pounds.

I know that's good -- its only been a month -- but I am getting very impatient. Compared to what I used to eat before surgery, I eat like a mouse now.

I feel like I should have lost 100 lbs by now. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Also, is there a way to prevent from getting too much loose skin? I don't want to wait until I've lost 100 lbs. to worry about it.

Thanks so much. This forum is a great resource!

It is highly likely you are going to have some loose skin, how much is likly to depend mostly on genetics, age, history of yoyo dieting/big losses and regains (impacting on elasticity of skin), amount of weight lost etc. Once you have lost your excess fat, skin can take up to about two years for it to contract the most it is likely to. Exercise (building underlying muscle), Water, getting some good fats are some good things that may help with the 'appearance' of the loose skin, but not a significant help.

Impatience to lose weight is not going to help your situation, it leads to significant disappointment with unreasonable expectations. For weight loss goals be guided by your doctor's expectations.

Edited by Hop_Scotch

The only way to prevent loose skin is not lose weight

And that sure is not a Good trade-off for me, I want to continue to lose down towards my goal. And then, and only then, will I worry more about my Sharpei loose skin when was born not to be "AVERAGE" I was created and recreated AWESOME, and all of you are witnesses to The Grand Shrinking of Frust8, and I feel it is going to be extremely good.

Hi, so what ive been told the best ways to help your skin right now is too moisturize with lotion and put sunscreen on when ur outside and keep your body well hydrated. When you can start exercising toning your muscles few times a week and even with that if anyone has been obese like myself i know i will have alot of lose skin on my stomach hoping my arms wont be a problem and my thighs. But will see. I started at 245 heaviest and before sleeve surgery i was 237 and i just had my gastric sleeve done last week and weigh 233. My skin is very thin and i feel like with my genetics im screwed with how my families skin bounces back. Age, skin damage, and how much u stretched ur skin all take a play in it. So i know when i get under 140 one day im getting a mommy makeover and getting my tummy tucked and my boobs put back where they go. I wish u the best!

That's why it's better to lose slowly, to avoid the big issue of a lot of excess skin. What's your hurry? Let it happen.

I dont agree with your lose slowly advice. If people want to lose weight slowly they would just do weight watchers till they get to the weight they want. With having the sleeve done is the time to lose as much weight as you possibly can as fast as you possibly can. I would think more than 85% if not more over weight people who lose the weight have to get skin removed somewhere on there body. so why not lose as much as quickly as possible and have a new start to look the way u want and feel good and be healthy and get fit and into healthier foods. I have had 2 C-sections my stomach fat hangs over my scar so much no matter how much weight if i lost it slowly or fast i will still have hanging, sagging skin like a pancake when i reached my goal weight.

8 hours ago, Sleeved in NYC said:

is there a way to prevent from getting too much loose skin?

loose skin factors.

1 age = younger is always better

2 max weight = less is always better

3 how long you were heavy = less is better

4 amount lost = less is better for loose skin worse for your health

as to speed of weight loss the first 3 also play a factor in how hard it can be to drop the weight and how fast it comes off

As others have stated above, loose skin happens when you lose a significant amount of weight. It will bounce back better if you are still young, have good genetics, have a lot of collagen/elasticity in your skin. Once it's been stretched out a lot by weight, it will remain mostly stretched out whether you lose weight fast or slow, so don't let speed of loss worry you either way.

I carried a lot of weight on my arms and legs as well as my torso, so now at 52kg (approx 110lb?) loss and close to goal I have a fair bit of excess skin on my upper arms and inner thighs, as well as tummy. And my poor boobs have shrunk from 16G down to 12E and mostly skin (saw plastic surgeon for consult yesterday and they said once I get a breast reduction I'll be down to a full B/maybe small C!). I'll be getting a Fleur De Lis (vertical as well as horizontal incision) Tummy Tuck, belt lipectomy (rear tummy tuck), upper arm reducation, inner thigh reduction, breast lift and possibly breast fat transfer if I still look deflated post breast lift.

Down from 121kg (BMI ~49) to 69kg (BMI 28) at 13 months post op.

Edited by Taoz

Loose skin is the one constant thing that I have struggled with the most during my weight loss journey. But then I remind myself that I’d rather be carrying around a couple pounds of loose skin rather than the 140+ lbs I’ve lost! I’ve thought about surgery, however it’s very costly and I’m not sure if it will happen for me, so I’m learning to adjust and love my new body. 09678656-17EB-4F1C-82B3-09C189495017.thumb.jpeg.6a718324437eefcb783da5ddd4149c83.jpeg

Edited by 1badassbiggurl

Way to Go Taoz, it's thrilling to hear from you! One thing nice about my Bariatric Clinic,weighing in Metric, I have left the Triple Digits behind! Long way I have come down and I'm not through yet! My skin looks like my under- skin Siamese twin was removed but the tired saggy skin remains. But you know what? When I put clothes on , I can hide the bulk of it, no longer looks like I just pushed. it somewhere else!
And my facial looks keep changing , not sure who I am going to resemble most! As long as it isn't Boris Johnson from England I think I'll be okay!