Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Diet - I cheated!

I am feeling so scared and ashamed right now. J was put on a full 2 week liquid diet so no food at all. I have been trying really hard but there have been a few days I've had one regular meal, I tried to keep the fat/carbs down but it was just killing me not go without actually eating something. I've lost a little weight but I'm mostly concerned about my liver. I have 3 more days before surgery and I fully intend to follow the plan to a tee. Has anyone experienced this before? We're you still able to get surgery?

I didn't cheat, but they put me on a diet with 1 meal since I'm diabetic. I'm pretty sure you will be ok. Follow it, like you said, to a t.

I don't want to enable you by saying this, but every plan is so different. You would need to ask your dr why he had you on that specific diet to be sure. My pre-op was only a day of liquids. The previous week was a list of no carb foods I could have. So you're probably fine - but again I'm not your dr!!!! Also I feel ya. I would have been climbing the walls at two weeks of liquids.

No cheating from me but... if you can buckle down these last few days and follow through, all the better !

Good luck 💙

It'll help you post-op if you learn to be able to do liquids pre-op and follow a plan as scheduled. Good luck.

i didn't even have a pre-op diet so stop beating yourself up. what you do post op will decide your success.

twisting yourself into mental knots does not help, not now and not post op.

the sleeve will do its job and if you keep your head in the game all will work out.

Dust yourself off and get back on the horse....

Hello:

Its only been 3 weeks since I had the gastric sleeve surgery and like you I cheated on my pre-op diet. My surgeon only requires one week of all liquids, but sometimes I felt so weak I had to eat something. I told my surgeon that I ate and he told me that if my liver was too enlarged when he opened me up he would not do the surgery! I was terrified and mad at myself because after all my prep and completing the clearances I could have sabotaged myself.

Well I followed the diet for 4 of the 7 days and my surgeon was able to do the surgery. He also told me my liver was still enlarged but he was able to get to the stomach enough to do the surgery.

Try to stick to the diet for your remaining days and hopefully everything will work out for you.