Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, I'm new to this. Today I had a consult with my doc. He told me I was a candidate for either gastric bypass or sleeve. In you guys opinion what do you recommend?
Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

It depends on your health issues. Their situation where people have chosen to go with the sleeves and then have to convert to gastric bypass. I think that you should just do a lot of research on both procedures and she was which one is best for you. I did the gastric bypass and I'm 14 days post-op and I haven't had any abnormal complication, but it is a challenge. Both procedures are just tools to help you loose waves so either way it's going to be challenging. What I love about this app is that the support that you received from different people all over. I wish you the best of luck with whatever decision you make keep us updated.

Sent from my SM-G950F using BariatricPal mobile app

research reasearch research. i watched you tube video blogs, read so much data ultimately My stomach ruptured so bypass was only option but I LOVE iT. This site is great for giving you information. ask questions we love to help!

Edited by Mint2bskinny

I am getting Gastro Bypass Surgery because of my gastroparesis and GERD.

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

If you do not have a medical need for bypass, do the sleeve. Less malnutrition/absorption issues with the sleeve.

But you gave us no info - age, weight, are you done having children, how many years have you been obese, do you have lots of emotional eating habits, are your triggers sugar, etc

Edited by Sosewsue61

if you have GERD, strongly consider bypass. The sleeve often (but not always) can make that worse. Bypass often improves or cures it. Otherwise, either one is a good surgery. I've known people who've had great success with both.

If you do not have a medical need for bypass, do the sleeve. Less malnutrition/absorption issues with the sleeve.
But you gave us no info - age, weight, are you done having children, how many years have you been obese, do you have lots of emotional eating habits, are your triggers sugar, etc
I have one kid. I'm 26 5'8 around 240 pounds but I have always been up and down in weight. 2 years ago I was T 164 my lowest weight. I know I can lose weight on my own but after I had my baby it has been so hard. the scale just keeps going up

4 minutes ago, laura071693 said:

I have one kid. I'm 26 5'8 around 240 pounds but I have always been up and down in weight. 2 years ago I was T 164 my lowest weight. I know I can lose weight on my own but after I had my baby it has been so hard. the scale just keeps going up

We can't tell you what surgery you need but I would choose what your heart is telling you! I will be praying for you ...

Hi Laura.

Since you are young I would definitely do the sleeve. You may want another child, and nutrition will be easier with the sleeve. The weight comes off just slightly slower with the sleeve, but over all results are very similar with either surgery as far as weight loss. I have heard at my wl group 3 bypass patients have Iron deficiency and 1 got ulcers in the stomach portion that is bypassed as it still makes acid even though it isn't getting food.

Any surgery is just a form of restriction which makes it easier to not over consume - as long as your head is in the game. Unless you examine your relationship with food, you will be less successful, the motivation and enthusiasm is high in the first year to 18 months and that will get you far into the journey. Every person has to find their own way and it can be tough at times.

Do some reading on this forum - use the search function to find topics and view some youtube videos by Dr. Weiner, Dr. Duc Vuong, etc. Books by Geneen Roth and Jan Chosen Bays address food issues. Research and read as much as you can before surgery. Good luck.

5 minutes ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Hi Laura.

Since you are young I would definitely do the sleeve. You may want another child, and nutrition will be easier with the sleeve. The weight comes off just slightly slower with the sleeve, but over all results are very similar with either surgery as far as weight loss. I have heard at my wl group 3 bypass patients have Iron deficiency and 1 got ulcers in the stomach portion that is bypassed as it still makes acid even though it isn't getting food.

Any surgery is just a form of restriction which makes it easier to not over consume - as long as your head is in the game. Unless you examine your relationship with food, you will be less successful, the motivation and enthusiasm is high in the first year to 18 months and that will get you far into the journey. Every person has to find their own way and it can be tough at times.

Do some reading on this forum - use the search function to find topics and view some youtube videos by Dr. Weiner, Dr. Duc Vuong, etc. books by Geneen Roth and Jan Chosen Bays address food issues. Research and read as much as you can before surgery. Good luck.

This is true but I am already anemic with Iron. This is a huge factor I have to weigh by going into surgery and afterwards next year... donating my kidney! So, pick wisely...

Edited by vovo2013

Hi Laura.
Do some reading on this forum - use the search function to find topics and view some youtube videos by Dr. Weiner, Dr. Duc Vuong, etc. books by Geneen Roth and Jan Chosen Bays address food issues. Research and read as much as you can before surgery. Good luck.
Thank you so much for your honest response. I'm glad I joined this forum to get good responses from people like you. I'm researching now and have been for a couple of weeks. I really have to dig deeper to find what's appropriate for me thank you for responding.

4 hours ago, Mint2bskinny said:

research reasearch research. i watched you tube video blogs, read so much data ultimately

This site is great for giving you information. ask questions we love to help!

Have to soooo agree here. There is sooo much information and people sharing their stories on Youtube that I think I have watched each and every one.

For me, I wanted gastric bypass to take advantage of "dumping". In other words, I wanted quick feedback when I was being dumb. But I agree with the others above, sleeve is a good idea (and often recommended) for younger people.

Now Im off to take my vitamins!

Have to soooo agree here. There is sooo much information and people sharing their stories on Youtube that I think I have watched each and every one.
For me, I wanted gastric bypass to take advantage of "dumping". In other words, I wanted quick feedback when I was being dumb. But I agree with the others above, sleeve is a good idea (and often recommended) for younger people.
Now Im off to take my vitamins!
Lol I honestly think I want the bypass for the same reason. I just don't know if I would want to take Vitamins for the rest of my life.