Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 hours ago, johnedwin said:

another benefit of the sleeve over the bypass with the sleeve you can occasionally take nsaid.. while the bypass it is 100% no..

I wouldn't, and they're not allowed on my plan. But we're all adults and can do whatever we want. :)

On 10/15/2019 at 05:46, Machalo said:

I went into my first consult thinking about the sleeve, mainly because I didn't want my plumbing to be rerouted. However, with my constant GERD, my team highly suggest the bypass which is supposed to fix the GERD. I don't understand how it does that yet, but I'm going to go with what my medical team advises since they've done hundreds of these surgeries and have probably seen cases like mine before.

In the end, make the decision that is right for you, and trust your doctors have your best interests at heart.

I apologize if someone has already responded. Sleeve creates a high pressure system within your stomach, worsening GERD or creating it (me!). Bypass makes your stomach so small it produces little acid. I will say that I’ve had a complication of mini ulcers in my duodenum because it’s never been exposed to acid or there’s something else wrong. Getting a barium CT next week. ZERO regrets going from sleeve to bypass. I’ll take the pain and, quite frankly, pooping myself once over the 24/7, wake up choking on vomit that I had with the sleeve.

On 10/30/2019 at 03:06, nomorefattypatty said:

I've been on omeprazole 2 x every day for the last 6 years.

Sent from my SM-J337P using BariatricPal mobile app

Be careful. There can be some pretty devastating side effects of long term PPI like significant bone loss. I was on them for over 18 months till I switched to bypass. I’m on them for 3 months because I got ulcers 🙄 but I’m hoping they’ll heal. No coffee is killing me!

I apologize if someone has already responded. Sleeve creates a high pressure system within your stomach, worsening GERD or creating it (me!). Bypass makes your stomach so small it produces little acid. I will say that I’ve had a complication of mini ulcers in my duodenum because it’s never been exposed to acid or there’s something else wrong. Getting a barium CT next week. ZERO regrets going from sleeve to bypass. I’ll take the pain and, quite frankly, pooping myself once over the 24/7, wake up choking on vomit that I had with the sleeve.
I completely agree, Im having the bypass done after having the sleeve due to vomiting and constant reflux and its been going on since the sleeve was done 3 years ago. I just assumed the vomiting was from me overeating. I can't wait to get this over. My surgery was scheduled in October but due to some family emergency I had move it to Nov. and now I'm on my second 5 day fast in 2 months and I can't wait til they put me to sleep just so I can't feel hungry anymore.

I would go with your surgeons recommendation since most of the folks here are not doctors. I weighed 215 (5 ft 5) at my consult....I’m thinking since I’m at the “lower” end of the BMI that he’d recommend the sleeve. I have reflux so he recommended bypass. Since the surgery, reflux is gone. My BP went from high 140’s/80’s to 120’s/ 70( or less) , the same day. It’s crazy! Do your homework, sounds like you are. Btw, your pcp probably isn’t an expert on bariatric surgery. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Bypass or DS. If you have any GERD issue pre surgery the sleeve will make it worse. Also I have a cousin who had the sleeve surgery and now is going back for a RNY bypass.

On 7/25/2019 at 6:16 PM, elmatador said:

Happy with my sleeve, one year out. Glad not to have to worry about malabsorption, no GERD (VSG cured my heartburn), stable weight loss, feel great. Both surgeries can be excellent!

What is VSG??

On 11/14/2019 at 9:16 PM, ScoutCR said:

Bypass or DS. If you have any GERD issue pre surgery the sleeve will make it worse. Also I have a cousin who had the sleeve surgery and now is going back for a RNY bypass.

What is DS and what is RNY?

On 11/9/2019 at 2:55 PM, nomorefattypatty said:

I completely agree, Im having the bypass done after having the sleeve due to vomiting and constant reflux and its been going on since the sleeve was done 3 years ago. I just assumed the vomiting was from me overeating. I can't wait to get this over. My surgery was scheduled in October but due to some family emergency I had move it to Nov. and now I'm on my second 5 day fast in 2 months and I can't wait til they put me to sleep just so I can't feel hungry anymore.

did you have gerd BEFORE the sleeve too?

did you have gerd BEFORE the sleeve too?

Yes I have struggled with reflux since I was at my heaviest weight. I've been taking Omeprazole 2 x a day for the last 15 years. I'm not having any reflux since last Tuesday and I'm so happy I did the bypass.

On 10/30/2019 at 6:28 AM, JessLess said:

I wouldn't, and they're not allowed on my plan. But we're all adults and can do whatever we want. :)

i have taken 3 nsaid the last few weeks due to some nagging back pain issues no problem btw way my bariatric doctor and surgeon said you can occasionally take them thank goodness i choose the sleeve over the bypass :)

Edited by johnedwin

Chiming in as another that got gerd and hiatal hernia from sleeve. I just had my revision to bypass on Friday. I wish that I had listened to gut instinct and went bypass from the start.

9 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

Chiming in as another that got gerd and hiatal hernia from sleeve. I just had my revision to bypass on Friday. I wish that I had listened to gut instinct and went bypass from the start.

your more likely to get hiatal hernia from bypass surgery stomach ulcers or perforation etc etc etc. from the bypass..

28 minutes ago, johnedwin said:

your more likely to get hiatal hernia from bypass surgery stomach ulcers or perforation etc etc etc. from the bypass..

Lies.. There's maybe 5% chance of those issues where sleeve is like 50% chance of either getting gerd or making gerd worse.

Everyday I see ppl complaining about gerd and needing revisions..

I'm 4 weeks post op from RNY with not one single issue :D

6 hours ago, Superman84 said:

Lies.. There's maybe 5% chance of those issues where sleeve is like 50% chance of either getting gerd or making gerd worse.

Everyday I see ppl complaining about gerd and needing revisions..

I'm 4 weeks post op from RNY with not one single issue :D

You don't see sleeve patients who don't have GERD and don't want revisions because why would we talk about that?

Congratulations on your successful surgery. Since you are calling other people out on "lies" when they disagree with you, please cite a credible source that the sleeve gives you a 50% chance of GERD getting worse. Most good doctors would not give someone a sleeve if they HAD GERD knowing what we now know.