Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

according to my research the bypass has far more issues then the sleeve like perforations due to ulcers dumping syndrome ..also the bypass has more risk of Vitamin deficiency then with the sleeve.

Edited by johnedwin

I prefer the sleeve as I don't want my plumbing completely rerouted. The sleeve is a more straight forward removal of a large portion of the stomach. Bypass does that but reorganizes your gift track so it works differently. If I had a lit more weight to lose I would have to co sider the bypass... but the sleeve should do the trick for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

i'm having to make the same decision right now. Surgeon suggested bypass but I went to him for the sleeve. I've had friends who've had success with both. The most I can figure is below from my own anecdotal research
Sleeve
Good for the most obese patients because it's an easy surgery for them to get through - They do the sleeve on 600 lb life
Bad if you have GERD and you can get GERD after this due to the stricture
Bad if you are a chronic overeater
People that don't resolve their eating issues end up stretching the sleeve and getting bypass anyway
All Calories and Vitamins get absorbed

Bypass
Good if you have diabetes, cures it in one day
Complex - intestines are rerouted, more complex surgery
Good if you have other co-morbidities
Slightly better weight loss sustained over the long term (more stats though)
Gold Standard - Who knows what this means it's just been around longer
Malabsorption of calories and vitamins means you will have to take vitamins every day but good news ,many calories you eat are also not absorbed.

My pcp and my good friend say sleeve is for me and my surgeon and therapist are recommending the bypass. I think you have to be really honest of how you got overweight.

I am not a person that overeats. I'm obese and my body likes it there even when I eat 800 calories. That is why I'm leaning towards bypass although I'm dreading having to take a Vitamin every day. If I was a severe overeater I would do the sleeve. That's just what I'm thinking now.
I have to take a vitamin every day with the sleeve as well... plus extra Calcium.< br>
Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m very happy with my sleeve. I don’t find the long term outcomes for success to be significant for me. My doctor only does the sleeve unless someone has GERD or another good reason to go with bypass. Good luck with whatever you choose.

And happiness and belief that you've made the RIGHT choice for you- Priceless!😝🐭❤

Research both options. You have to be honest with WHY you are having this surgery.

I went with sleeve for two reasons - I was a chronic over eater and never felt "full" enough after a meal, so I crammed more into my mouth, and I wanted to avoid more long term complications.

My surgeon was extremely thorough when he was going over the options (Bypass, SIPS, and Sleeve). He said that he recommends the sleeve for all patients unless there is something intrinsically wrong with anatomy or another major concern (I do not remember them all, do not want to misrepresent why I made the choice I did). The surgery is easier on the body (no complete rerouting of your plumbing) and when guidelines are followed the difference in weight loss is less than 5%. Most people that have complications have them within the first three to six months. Complications with bypass can occur even years out. There is no malaborption, but a Vitamin is mandatory with both procedures.

No matter what decision you make, be sure that you are thinking about your future - your long term goals, and how this surgery will change your life! No matter what you decide you will be happier and healthier for it if you follow the rules =D

While I’m at the beginning of this process, I’m already anticipating the sleeve over the bypass, because I take lots of meds (for things that WLS won’t cure), including some extended release forms. I expect malabsorption from the bypass would play havoc with medication levels. Anybody have any experience with that aspect of the surgery?

15 hours ago, DanK said:

While I’m at the beginning of this process, I’m already anticipating the sleeve over the bypass, because I take lots of meds (for things that WLS won’t cure), including some extended release forms. I expect malabsorption from the bypass would play havoc with medication levels. Anybody have any experience with that aspect of the surgery?

With the sleeve, I switched from an extended-release drug to the regular formulation after it stopped working. Fortunately, this has worked out fine. I would discuss a plan if your extended-release drugs stopped working with your doctor. Hopefully, you can convert yours over as easily as I did.

Bypass, I am going through alot of problems due to the sleeve. They are revising me to the bypass due to reflux and the hiatal hernia I got from the sleeve. My SD is October 15th, I just got my clearance from my physician on Friday.

Sent from my SM-J337P using BariatricPal mobile app

i'm having to make the same decision right now. Surgeon suggested bypass but I went to him for the sleeve. I've had friends who've had success with both. The most I can figure is below from my own anecdotal research
Sleeve
Good for the most obese patients because it's an easy surgery for them to get through - They do the sleeve on 600 lb life
Bad if you have GERD and you can get GERD after this due to the stricture
Bad if you are a chronic overeater
People that don't resolve their eating issues end up stretching the sleeve and getting bypass anyway
All Calories and Vitamins get absorbed

Bypass
Good if you have diabetes, cures it in one day
Complex - intestines are rerouted, more complex surgery
Good if you have other co-morbidities
Slightly better weight loss sustained over the long term (more stats though)
Gold Standard - Who knows what this means it's just been around longer
Malabsorption of calories and vitamins means you will have to take vitamins every day but good news ,many calories you eat are also not absorbed.

My pcp and my good friend say sleeve is for me and my surgeon and therapist are recommending the bypass. I think you have to be really honest of how you got overweight.

I am not a person that overeats. I'm obese and my body likes it there even when I eat 800 calories. That is why I'm leaning towards bypass although I'm dreading having to take a Vitamin every day. If I was a severe overeater I would do the sleeve. That's just what I'm thinking now.
You have to do vitamins every day with all the wls options.

5 minutes ago, nomorefattypatty said:

You have to do Vitamins every day with all the wls options.

Yup...I ultimately decided on RNY and am post op 5 days, no regrets thus far! @nomorefattypatty

I am glad I got sleeved bc It’s working just fine for me. I think a lot of issues get highlighted and magnified here. If everyone had issues with sleeve surgery they wouldn’t do it. My bloodwork was a 180 within a month of getting it done. I know some people have problems but I also think taking your doctors best advice is the way to go. Asking an online forum is not how I would treat cancer or an infection so I’m sticking with medical advice from the doc.