Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre surgery 6 mth required diet

For insurance to cover wls they usually require 6 mths of supervised diet with a Dr... Ive been on diet pills for 2mths with my pcp will that count

I think it has to be with the surgeon. But if you have doubts, check with your insurance. A licensed dietician should be in there with your progress.

Sent from my F8131 using BariatricPal mobile app

Depends on your insurance. Mine required 6 months with my PCP. We have certain paperwork we had to fill out each visit that my surgeon had given me. Your 2 previous month should usually work if they was no break between the visits. I would call your insurance.

4 hours ago, jennifer47 said:

For insurance to cover wls they usually require 6 mths of supervised diet with a Dr... Ive been on diet pills for 2mths with my pcp will that count

My insurance specifically required that I have my 6 months visits with a Dr other than my surgeon so I used my PCP...if that is the case with you, then the last 2 months should be fine as long as your Dr sends in the info along with what your goals etc are for the coming month.

You absolutely need to speak with your insurance company and see what the requirements are.

It has to be six consecutive months of visits to a doctor or clinic where they've weighed and measured and counseled you on your diet.

My insurance just requires 6 months, they don't have to be consecutive. I did three months a year ago (I got denied but my BMI was lower), and I have one more appointment this time to get to six months. It just has to be within 2 years.

All insurance seems different, mine was 6 months with my PCP and she had to document my progress and what we discussed VERY WELL. Not allowed to just be a nurse weigh in.

Mine had to be 6 consecutive monthly appts. I shaved time off by going on the last day of month 1 and the first day of month 6 and they okayed it. They also required some type of proof of my weight from the 2 years prior. I didn't have that but luckily I had been to a weightloss phentermine "clinic" and they took that as proof.

I had to do the same thing. I'm with BCBS, and they have a Wellness program in which a nurse will coach you through the 6-month weight management program. Proof that you were in weight loss program like Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig for 6 months counts. There has to be proof. So, check to see if your insurance provider has a similar program.

Sent from my QS5509A using BariatricPal mobile app

My insurance requires 6 consecutive months with either my PCP or a nutritionist. I chose my PCP because we’ve been discussing my weight and diet for a while now. So I have 4 consecutive months already and I go for my consult on the 8th of July.

So I saw my pcp yesterday and he said he would count the past 2-3 months of me getting diet pills for the 6 month required diet visits if the insurance would OK it. Otherwise he officially put me on a diet plan starting yesterday but all he did was say exercise a couple days a week and count my carbs.. And he is a weight loss doctor! Thought the diet would be more detailed than that.. Any thoughts?

My PCP had me meet once with their nutritionist and set me an exercise goal and diet goal tracking my intake on myfitnesspal. Each month we went over everything and adjusted my goals and she sent a detailed report to my surgeon's office.