Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thank you, @gabybab! Congrats to you, too!

This one is important to me because of my joint pain and muscle soreness I’ve had my whole career as a hairstylist on my feet carrying all that weight... I can get in and out of my epsom salt bath without worrying id fall and never mind be out of commission or die leaving my autistic son without a mom... I also envisioned some EMT without the ability to unsee the blubbery lump they’d have to rescue!!!... I walk faster, groan less upon standing... wear a freeking size 10 now and I’m gonna live my life to the fullest... I’m a better mom because I can focus on them and not my ailments 💜

Edited by Carrot64

That is awesome Carrot! I know when you feel bad all the time it definitely takes a toll on the family, All the extra lbs steal so much from being able to fulfill life in SO many ways.

On 6/4/2019 at 8:05 AM, bmaff56 said:

I am so glad to hear your story. I am 62 250lbs and 5'2" and just starting this process and am leary about it. Looking forward to getting healthy and getting off my HBP, diabetic meds and sleep apnea machine. How is the sagging skin?

The only place at this point (I still want to lose 40 or so more pounds) I notice it a lot is my upper arms so I do not wear sleeveless very often. My neck it also a little "turkeyish" and I am planning neck and face surgery next year but other than that I am not considering plastics.

You know You. the best so I heartily concurr, sounds like a Plan To Me!

On 6/4/2019 at 6:05 AM, bmaff56 said:

How is the sagging skin?

yep got it.

Celebrate it and rejoice in it.

no one dies from saggy skin.

For those of you off the diabetes drugs, how long were you diabetic? My surgeon told me today that since I’ve been diabetic 13 years, it may not reverse.

Pre-Op I was taking 80 units a day of insulin ( 40 in the morning and 40 at night ) , metforman also for my diabetes, High blood pressure medication and cholesterol medication,
My pre- op weight going in was 260 lbs ,, . My surgery was April 10th and now I’m completely off metforman , off my cholesterol med, off my high blood pressure med and I’m down to only 10 units a day of insulin ( if needed ) and current weight is 220lbs .. best decision I’ve made for my health was to get the sleeve operation 👍🏼

3 hours ago, Libby63 said:

For those of you off the diabetes drugs, how long were you diabetic? My surgeon told me today that since I’ve been diabetic 13 years, it may not reverse.

I've been diabetic for close to 15 years. I progressively gained weight and had to up my diabetic regimen.

After surgery I was told to go off all my meds, but that didn't work. My bs was still very high for a month. I started taking metformin and glimeperide, but it caused diarrhea and I had to stop the metformin. I was on metformin 1000 x2, Glimeperide 4mg x2 and 72 units of Lantus at night. Now I check my bs and if my bs is over180 in the morning or night I take the glimeperide, but seldom need to. I'm on 20 units of Lantus at night still.

I'm hoping to keep reducing the meds as I lose weight. I've lost 61 pounds so far.

Edited by gabybab

Before WLS I took 9 pills a day for high blood pressure, I had severe sleep apnea and I had to take medicine to keep Fluid off my legs because of lymphedema.

As of 10 months post surgery I take zero pills, no longer have sleep apnea and have zero fluid issues.

I was able to get a total knee replacement 6 weeks ago since losing 160 lbs. Off the Cpap machine, lower number of daily medications from 21 to 7. I’m feeling terrific 11 months post RNY!

I am now considered “in remission” from Type II diabetes. For me, this has been THE most important, most profoundly significant benefit of my RNY. My last A1c was 4.8.

I never had high BP, but given my weight and the diabetes, I know it was only a matter of time before the other co-morbidities caught up with me.

Aside from some Vitamin deficiencies (which I can live with and address with supplements), I have not regretted my decision to have gastric bypass surgery.