Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Weight gain probs. Snack suggestions.

It’s been a while omg hey guys!

Ok so I could never understand before and after having surgery how people gain back their weight and sometimes more.
I was sleeved over 2 years ago and now that I can eat whatever I want I completely understand the struggle.
I still till this day can’t eat full meals like I would have a little bit of everything and just pick at the plate until I’m done which takes like an hour or two honestly, my problem is snacking. I can eat everything from snickers to Doritos and it’s just so annoying because having the self control is more like mind control. I always tell myself I don’t need it yet sometimes I still end up getting candy or a salty snack.
My lowest weight has been 140, I recently went through a bad break up in April. I was 143 pounds and now I am 165 pounds. I’ve been eating junk food like crazy and even though it’s stress eating I need to find other ways.

Can anyone recommend health Snacks?

In the mean time I’m going to try and “reset” my sleeve. I called my surgeon about this a few days ago before I made this post (what a great guy he actually listened to me for a good hour) and he told me to start over from liquid diet to soft foods then reg and to keep going to the gym.

Start: 316 • 12/14/2016
Current: 165
Lowest: 140

& here’s a pic since it’s been a while

image-0.00405311584472656.jpg

I know low-fat string cheese or nuts is a good option. If you want something sweet try a Quest cookie? They're not the best but definitely much better than a snickers bar. You still look amazing and you can get this under control. Do the reset and exercise and those pounds will melt off. Good luck!

Post op is all about the mental game. as you have found out if you lose the mental game the WLS will not save you.

i wish i could tell you Snacks are ok but i don't believe it so i will not say it.

if you want to get back to feeling better about your progress snacks have to go.

if this is just not possible then only eat what looks exactly like it did when it was grown. Nothing processed.

if you pick it up in the store and you cant picture this growing in a field then it is not something you want to eat.

anything packaged in a box didn't grow that way and is hurting you.

work on healthy ways to de-stress

you will win or lose from this day forward based on how you handle the mental aspects of post WLS.

i wish you all the best and hope you find that balance.

On 6/3/2019 at 1:49 PM, goldenbarbie said:

It’s been a while omg hey guys!

Ok so I could never understand before and after having surgery how people gain back their weight and sometimes more.
I was sleeved over 2 years ago and now that I can eat whatever I want I completely understand the struggle.
I still till this day can’t eat full meals like I would have a little bit of everything and just pick at the plate until I’m done which takes like an hour or two honestly, my problem is snacking. I can eat everything from snickers to Doritos and it’s just so annoying because having the self control is more like mind control. I always tell myself I don’t need it yet sometimes I still end up getting candy or a salty snack.
My lowest weight has been 140, I recently went through a bad break up in April. I was 143 pounds and now I am 165 pounds. I’ve been eating junk food like crazy and even though it’s stress eating I need to find other ways.

Can anyone recommend health Snacks?

In the mean time I’m going to try and “reset” my sleeve. I called my surgeon about this a few days ago before I made this post (what a great guy he actually listened to me for a good hour) and he told me to start over from liquid diet to soft foods then reg and to keep going to the gym.

Start: 316 • 12/14/2016
Current: 165
Lowest: 140

& here’s a pic since it’s been a while

image-0.00405311584472656.jpg

I also said “ I will never gain it back” and had a 16 pound gain my third year. (I worked it off) Weight gain can mess with your head. You caught it before it became a major regain. You can get this back down.

Some of us can have a piece of cholate and stop. I know myself, I keep temptation out of the house. Maintaining I indulge within reason.

Some of us do the pouch reset (liquid progression to real food) It’s a good way to restart healthy habits again. Some of us go back to bariatric basics.( Real food stage, Log food and stay within your weight loss calorie/macros, hydrate and exercise) Others change diet plans. (keto, intermittent fasting, vegan etc) Its finding what works for you. Whatever diet you choose; Logging has been the tool that helped me get the weight off.

Here are a few threads that may help:

Weight loss group challenge to keep you motivated.

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/425758-june-2019-challenge/?tab=comments#comment-4781757

If you choose intermittent fasting here is a group of people that can help

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/419144-intermittent-fasting-daily-menuresultsaccountability/?page=173&tab=comments#comment-4780742

Mental Weight loss battles thread.

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/425354-the-importance-of-doing-the-head-work/?tab=comments#comment-4776743

Wish you the best. Glad to see you back on the forum.

If I'm creeping up to the top of my maintenance range I try to eat stuff that will very quickly fill me up and keep me full so I can't eat more without feeling sick. Steak is good for this, 4 oz and it's like a rock in my stomach for an hour+, you could also eat a little something that's pretty solid and have a few ounces of Water, that does the same thing - but use extreme caution with this.

You still have the restriction, so you can use it to your advantage by eating stuff that will keep you full so you can't snack. Resetting is a good idea, I don't know that I'd go back to liquids because that will be very hard, but maybe back to just simple Protein and no carbs for a while. The protein will fill you up and after a week of that a lot of the cravings and hungriness should subside a little.

Good to see you on here again and good luck!

Girl I feel you! You've done amazing! I didn't get nearly that small, however I did lose 100 lbs to then gain 50 of it back.. Snacking is my issue too. I like chips and sweets b/c they go down "easier". I am changing my mindset and focusing on more Protein less carbs and more water! (Super hard for me!) YOU GOT THIS!!

Stress eating is real! I have been going through some relationship issues myself, and I really turned to food. I love chips, and wow...can I eat a lot of them! For me, the key was just being honest with myself. I had to stop and ask myself if I was really hungry, or if I was eating just to eat. It is much harder than I imagined. I have also learned that I need a real lunch, or I will graze all day long. Eating something more substantial for lunch definitely helps me get through the day without snacking. I have gone back to a pretty strict schedule in terms of eating.

Breakfast - Protein Shake - Lunch - Afternoon snack - dinner. Without a meal built in over lunch, it is more like breakfast - Protein shake - graze all day - dinner.

Another thing that has helped me, probably more than anything, is getting back to the gym. I am getting 1 hour of cardio in 5 days a week, and 1 hour of weight lifting in 2 days a week. The exercise has helped so much because it has replaced my stress eating, and it has just made me feel more normal again. I feel like I have really started to lose myself if my current personal situation, and this is making me feel like my old self. I think there are major changes coming for me soon, so I really want to focus on staying healthy and positive.

Anyhow, good luck with everything! You look great by the way. 😀

OMG! I'm 2yrs postop VSG and your statement hit my situation right on target. I'm starting my reset this week, I've been luck to have only gained 11lbs in the past year but I don't want this to get out of control. I didn't want to loose any more weight after having my plastic surgery of fat transfer so I begin eating more. Thanks for sharing & keep us posted🤩

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app