Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

3 hours ago, Cheeseburgh said:

I posted this on the Sophomore thread then realized I should have posted it here:

I don’t know if I’m still a Sophomore, I kind of feel like a Junior now. I had my 18 month post op today! The Dr. & nutritionist are both thrilled with my results, although my Dr. would like me to gain 10 pounds because of my age (59). I was honest with him and said there was no way I could psychologically handle an intentional gain at this point which he understood. I’m not losing anymore and I’ve read that a 10 pound bounce is very common by year 2.

There is a monthly support/informational meeting at the hospital for pre and post op patients, they asked me to give a presentation followed by a question and answer session next month. I’m kind of nervous and very flattered that they asked me to do it. I asked if she wanted me to send her a copy of what I plan to say and she replied, ‘No, we trust you”.

I could use some advice. I’m going to discuss my experience of course, foods, menu planning, restaurants, exercise, journaling and most importantly attitude, emotions, expectations, reality and getting and keeping your mindset and motivation.

Please hit me up with ideas, I want to do a good job!

So cool, giving back to to community, so to speak! I have an even higher respect for you.

The single one thing in my opinion that needs to be clearly mapped out and drilled into the newbies are the age old mantras:

"Everyone is Different"
AND
"Don't compare yourself to others".

If you can find a unique way to make this a long lasting impression on our audience, they will be so much better for it.

So continuing in the vein of "finding a new focus after weight loss"...
Main Point: I think its important to have a bag of other "foucuses" after weight loss. My go-to feel-better-about-myself activity was running/exercise. Due to my slower than anticipated PS recovery, and other self-inflicted setbacks, this coping mechanism is not available to me.
With no other thing to employ to pick myself up, I totally cliché-ed out and actually started drinking more for the purpose of feeling better. After realizing where I was going with that, I am making conscious decisions to NOT drink when I am feeling sh*tty (which is hard, man...work in progress).
Then, I guess I fell back to focusing on my diet and weight as this was one thing I knew I could do and do well, and control, and I knew in the past it made me feel good and accomplished. But the thing is, I don't need to lose any weight. So wth.
So now I am trying to find something I can focus on that I can do in my current state, that is beneficial to my health and well-being, and that I can derive some enjoyment/accomplishment from. This is proving to be difficult and frustrating, and creating a negative feedback loop.
#workingOnIt
This ^

Main Point: I think its important to have a bag of other "foucuses" after weight loss. My go-to feel-better-about-myself activity was running/exercise. Due to my slower than anticipated PS recovery, and other self-inflicted setbacks, this coping mechanism is not available to me.
With no other thing to employ to pick myself up, I totally cliché-ed out and actually started drinking more for the purpose of feeling better. After realizing where I was going with that, I am making conscious decisions to NOT drink when I am feeling sh*tty (which is hard, man...work in progress).
Then, I guess I fell back to focusing on my diet and weight as this was one thing I knew I could do and do well, and control, and I knew in the past it made me feel good and accomplished. But the thing is, I don't need to lose any weight. So wth.
So now I am trying to find something I can focus on that I can do in my current state, that is beneficial to my health and well-being, and that I can derive some enjoyment/accomplishment from. This is proving to be difficult and frustrating, and creating a negative feedback loop.
#workingOnIt
I'm still struggling too. In fact this very topic has been a recurring theme for me over the many years I've been in therapy (even before WLS). I simply don't know what activities I really enjoy that make me happy, what I can focus on other than food, things that I can do any time of the day or night when I need to be uplifted. I have come up with a rather long list of options that I keep handy, but it seems like when I really need it there's nothing in the list that really excited me. Full disclosure, I was diagnosed with clinical depression (and actually moderate bipolar disorder) over 20 years so I do have that challenge to work with as well. I've learned though that every person on this earth has something they are dealing with, however big or small, and we each have to get through it the best we can. #workingonit

21 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

You could always come join us tonight for our face-to-face support group. Just sayin'. ;) It's a great group of ladies!

Thanks for the offer...I'll think about it ❤️

21 hours ago, AngieBear said:

and in the meantime maybe research some fun trips to take/etc.? Something to look forward to?

I took this to heart yesterday and decided we are going to go on a mini-vacay during spring break. And I'm going to do some deep dive research/planning for other trips that are on the table for this year (I do LOVE planning stuff, haha).

20 hours ago, Cheeseburgh said:

Finding something has REALLY helped me, keep trying stuff out, you never know what will grab you. Everyone is surprised that I like updating furniture, (including me) But I’m glad I found something I didn’t know I needed.

This is what I am really trying to figure out (given that running/exercise of off the table at the moment). I know if I was in a better place I would be much more open to new stuff (like I normally am). In the meantime, I am going to go plan some trips...

A lot to weigh in on this thread ... but realized I missed my 2 year surgiversary!

Here is my weight tracker

image.png.d9d3f14352473c06cbe2d216166e1569.png

I can't express how insanely happy I am with my decision to have WLS 😁💓

1 hour ago, sillykitty said:

A lot to weigh in on this thread ... but realized I missed my 2 year surgiversary!

Here is my weight tracker

< ... >

I can't express how insanely happy I am with my decision to have WLS 😁💓

Happy 2 year surgiversary 🎉 !!

You've come a long way, baby.

😘

On 02/13/2020 at 10:16, ms.sss said:

#workingOnIt

This is a great bit of head work that you’ve done though and you’ll be so much better for having “been there, done that”

Okay, so my big desire and focus in life is travel.
I don’t even mean big travel— I get Uber psyched and excited to plan a single-night getaway 90 miles away.
I find myself planning the next trip as soon as I get back from the current one.

We are taking a beach vacay in June and I’ve finally narrowed my search down to 5 places, lol.
Oh it will be so much fun to finish planning that.

I also love home projects.
Even if it’s something silly like finding a vase at a consignment store and then making up a floral arrangement, I love it

Very soon we will be doing some remodeling around the house and I’ll be in heaven for months planning it and designing everything to the most particular detail.

Poor hubs.... all of my free time will be spent poring over home design websites and dragging him to stores.

I trended downwards this week, which is fine. I’m glad I started edging up my calories now, though, it’s harder than I thought. I’m eating Snacks, 2 a day, and I think I may add an evening one as well, because my cals are still in the 1000 range, and now that I’m upping my running some I think it’s just not enough. I’m okay losing a pound a week or so, but it’s a bit startling that even though I’m actively trying NOT to, it’s still happening. Who’d have thought?!

Much of what I’m struggling with is mental. I went out with friends yesterday and had a brownie after lunch (which was all tempeh, veggies, and brown rice). My thought process was very “what am I doing?! I’m going to gain it all back!” - and then I weigh in this morning to a new low. GAH. I was definitely being silly. Finding a balance is going to be tough, I’m finding.

Edited by AngieBear

I forgot to add a pic of my weight this week!

38BBFDF9-FE61-4009-BBE6-730AAFD65EA5.thumb.png.5ba9e1ed1254af324faa6a317985f52e.png

Great job Angie!
I totally forgot to weigh last week, which may sound weird, but it’s the honest-to-goodness truth.

Anyway, after our group meeting last night I set a reminder on my phone to weigh myself.
I didn’t SS the results, but I’m at 137.4, which is very close to my lowest weight.
So I did meet with my NUT last week and thankfully she’s reassured me that I won’t die if I eat under 1,000 calories daily, 🤣🤣🤣

On 02/13/2020 at 12:25, Cheeseburgh said:

I posted this on the Sophomore thread then realized I should have posted it here:

I don’t know if I’m still a Sophomore, I kind of feel like a Junior now. I had my 18 month post op today! The Dr. & nutritionist are both thrilled with my results, although my Dr. would like me to gain 10 pounds because of my age (59). I was honest with him and said there was no way I could psychologically handle an intentional gain at this point which he understood. I’m not losing anymore and I’ve read that a 10 pound bounce is very common by year 2.

There is a monthly support/informational meeting at the hospital for pre and post op patients, they asked me to give a presentation followed by a question and answer session next month. I’m kind of nervous and very flattered that they asked me to do it. I asked if she wanted me to send her a copy of what I plan to say and she replied, ‘No, we trust you”.

I could use some advice. I’m going to discuss my experience of course, foods, menu planning, restaurants, exercise, journaling and most importantly attitude, emotions, expectations, reality and getting and keeping your mindset and motivation.

Please hit me up with ideas, I want to do a good job!

Sorry about the “Call an audible “ confusion:

call an audible (third-person singular simple present calls an audible, present participle calling an audible, simple past and past participle called an audible)

1. (American football) To change the play at the line of scrimmage by yelling out a new one.

2. (US, idiomatic) To change plans at the last minute based on newly revealed information.

My suggestion is to save a clothing item. I saved one pair of jean shorts. Three years out there are days when I realize I’m wearing a size medium but look in the mirror and still feel “fat” Every so often I will pull them out just to put on and remind myself how far I’ve come. It’s hard to change your mindset.

31 minutes ago, hmills653 said:

My suggestion is to save a clothing item. I saved one pair of jean shorts. Three years out there are days when I realize I’m wearing a size medium but look in the mirror and still feel “fat” Every so often I will pull them out just to put on and remind myself how far I’ve come. It’s hard to change your mindset.

I do a variation of this type of reminder: I find an old "bigger-me" picture from my archives and then put on something similar in colour or style and make a before and after pic. Always manages to make me go "whoa".

So, what about coffee? Before surgery, I had a 5-Diet-Coke-per-day habit, but I was not a coffee drinker. I stopped Diet Coke cold turkey before surgery and abstained from caffeine in any form for about eight months after surgery. However, I've gotten into the habit of drinking two lattes with skim milk and sweetener every morning, which I really enjoy. (The milk provides an extra boost of protein.)

What have you been told by your doctors about caffeine at this point? Is it harmful?

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

So, what about coffee? Before surgery, I had a 5-Diet-Coke-per-day habit, but I was not a coffee drinker. I stopped Diet Coke cold turkey before surgery and abstained from caffeine in any form for about eight months after surgery. However, I've gotten into the habit of drinking two lattes with skim milk and sweetener every morning, which I really enjoy. (The milk provides an extra boost of protein.)

What have you been told by your doctors about caffeine at this point? Is it harmful?

depends on the surgeon. Some are fine with it, some aren't.

RE: coffee/caffeine

Doc/team is fine with me me drinking coffee, though did ask me to refrain for 1 month post op (which I did)

Now I drink maybe 1-2 coffees and 1-2 teas a day.

I don't drink any pop/soda (diet or not)...with the exception of club soda as a mixer in alcoholic drinks occasionally (though I don't think it has any caffeine in it anyway....?)