Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

5 hours ago, ms.sss said:

@Healthy_life2 & @catwoman7...but did we at least enjoy our Thanksgivings? ❤️

Which brings up a question. So both of you are pretty far out and doing the maintenance thing like pros. Do you experience stress/guilt/anxiety at all after indulge days like these? Or are they now just occupational hazards?

my "indulging" is probably a normal person's typical Thanksgiving meal. It's not putting away 3000 calories like I probably did before surgery - and I don't let it go on for days afterward, either, like I used to. It's one and done now, and only on special occasions. But I did eat much more yesterday than I normally would. I had about 2 oz of turkey, 2 oz of ham, 1/2 C sweet potato casserole, 1/2 C of stuffing, maybe 1/2 C of Brussels sprouts/bacon/cheese casserole. And probably 1/3 C mashed potatoes. I had some cranberry sauce on the ham, and gravy on the turkey & potatoes. After dinner, the pies came out. There were four different kinds. Before surgery, I probably would have had three whole pieces so I could taste most of them. This time, I decided on the two I most wanted, and I had half a piece of each. With whipped cream. So essentially, one piece of pie. SO....one plateful of food, plus a piece of pie.

this wouldn't have been the case my first couple of years post-surgery, though. Back then I would have had maybe 2 oz of turkey with some vegetables. And the second year post-op, I think I added about 2 T of stuffing and 2 T sweet potato casserole. And both years I brought my own Light & Fit pumpkin yogurt to have for dessert while the others were eating pumpkin pie.

anyway, I don't really feel guilty because I rarely eat as much as I described above, and I get right back on track the next day. If it was a usual thing, I would gain my weight back pretty fast, unfortunately. I spent this morning at the gym - two fitness classes plus walking the track - and I'll really push fluids and eat lightly the next couple of days to offset any damage...

12 hours ago, ms.sss said:

@Healthy_life2 & @catwoman7...but did we at least enjoy our Thanksgivings? ❤️

Which brings up a question. So both of you are pretty far out and doing the maintenance thing like pros. Do you experience stress/guilt/anxiety at all after indulge days like these? Or are they now just occupational hazards?

pre surgery, I felt like an addict looking for a fix on food holidays. I couldn’t wait for the great meals, leftovers and overstuffing myself. The weight gain that followed gave me stress/guilt/anxiety. First few years I was scared to indulge. I questioned if it would derail me or if I would go back to the old me.

I now indulge on holidays. I had to work on not feeling guilt/stress/anxiety over a slight weight gain.

I can control my food world and weight. I expect slight gains and fluctuations. I won’t have a significant regain if I weight myself regularly, keep my behaviors in check, and get back on plan when needed.

I have all of you to give me a smack upside the head when I need it.

Gosh one of the things this journey has taught me with regards to food and indulgences is that I DO have the power to choose and to change the game up. I do remember having those guilty feelings of failure and depression following a feast weekend. I would literally shove food down my gob every second I could! And food is using the term loosely. By food, I mean crap! LOL.Delicious. Carby. Fatty. Crunchy. Gooey. Pasta-y. Ricey. Crap. LOL. Hello, Tortillas y Tamales. Ola Enchiladas Chicas. LOL.

Then the next week following it, I wouldn't even be able to make myself get on the scale, much less get back into an exercise and eating routine.

Now following 2 days of eating heavy meals (not snacking on crap, just taking in double or triple my normal calories + limited alcohol), and up to 135 (pre-poopy LOL) and yesterday I sprang right back into the program. Got on the scale. Posted publicly to you guys about my plate and my weight and walked an hour both yesterday and today.

This morning I'm down to 133lbs (post-poopy LOL) and I feel like it was only a temporary blip--not a backslide into the old ways.

I will admit, I had anxiety and crankiness being at the top of my weight window. Kinda like the female cat in Pepe Le Peuw cartoons, trying to pry/crawl her way out of his smelly embrace. That was me trying to escape the reality of the scale yesterday morning--even knowing most of that was Water weight. LOL.

But this journey and my tool reassure me that regain will only happen with MY HELP. I have to aide and abet for it to happen (barring some medical catastrophe).

I am proud of myself! I am eating healthy carbs! Okay, so I am not venturing into potato and Pasta zone, BUT I was super low on carbs and afraid of them because they were my vice.... but every day for the last 2 weeks I've had at least one slice of multigrain bread, usually with cream cheese and lately I've been making toad in a hole (egg in a basket). I even tried Peanut Butter on the slice (I was scared of peanut butter because of "calories"). I am happy I overcame this and I'm getting in some healthy grain. It took a lot of willpower to try it. Toad in a hole is life. mmmm.

I've lost some weight (I am 124) but I also just had that skin removal so I'm sure that has to do with it, too. De-swelling slowly overtime. lol.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

I am proud of myself! I am eating healthy carbs! Okay, so I am not venturing into potato and Pasta zone, BUT I was super low on carbs and afraid of them because they were my vice.... but every day for the last 2 weeks I've had at least one slice of multigrain bread, usually with cream cheese and lately I've been making toad in a hole (egg in a basket). I even tried Peanut Butter on the slice (I was scared of Peanut Butter because of "calories"). I am happy I overcame this and I'm getting in some healthy grain. It took a lot of willpower to try it. Toad in a hole is life. mmmm.

I've lost some weight (I am 124) but I also just had that skin removal so I'm sure that has to do with it, too. De-swelling slowly overtime. lol.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

Do you find that your clothes are fitting you differently now?

Proud at the fact that my weight stayed the same..... I'll take that. 142lbs

But i haven't poohed in dayssssss

6 hours ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

Proud at the fact that my weight stayed the same..... I'll take that. 142lbs

But i haven't poohed in dayssssss

So you are going to "dump" at least a couple of pounds very soon! Won't that be exciting?!

okay, so I’m in my last 2 days of vacay (which started immediately after thanksgiving)

needless to day, I’m loving the fact that I’ve relaxed my standards the last 9 days, but I’m honestly ready to “get back on the wagon”

im already planing a 24 hour fast for Monday/Tuesday as I travel back home

then I’ve got 2 Pilates classes scheduled and I’ve set an alarm on my phone to hit the treadmill

Texted my daughter a grocery list of 5-6 must-have foods that I normally eat (she has my extra bank card in her wallet in case of emergencies) so I’ll arrive home with some very healthy options first thing Tuesday am when it’s time to break fast.

I have no idea what I’ve lost or gained since Iast weighed myself about 10 days ago.
Don’t plan on weighing til Wednesday am.

anyone else wanna join me on a fast Monday?

2 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

Anyone else wanna join me on a fast Monday?

Maybe? Monday is a usual day for me to IF or at least do an 18:6 or OMAD. :) No 36 hours for me.

Edited by FluffyChix

Lol, I’ll prolly only do 24 hours as I’m pretty positive I’ll need some kind of Protein shake/heave cream I’m coffee for traveling on Monday. I’m really prone to headaches, and airplanes are basically auto-headache for me so I’ll def need some liquid caffeine in the morning.

Again, it’s a question of “how much” milk/creamer/protein shake counts as “breaking fast”.

8 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

anyone else wanna join me on a fast Monday?

I'm in. I have an endoscopy early tuesday, so I'll do a 24 hour with you. I'll probably have a smoothie early Monday morning and then just Water until the procedure on Tuesday. I don't have to fast for the EGD, but it is a good excuse! I am hoping they will not find any gastritis, esophagitis or recurrence of Barrett's (had a Barrett's polyp removed early this year.)

Another week and still holding steady at 137, which makes me really happy. It seems that I've found my ideal weight, as well as the amount of food I should be eating to stay there. I still struggle with getting enough food without feeling sick, but I'm learning and it's getting better. I'm feeling very optimistic!

14 hours ago, AZhiker said:

I'm in. I have an endoscopy early tuesday, so I'll do a 24 hour with you. I'll probably have a smoothie early Monday morning and then just Water until the procedure on Tuesday. I don't have to fast for the EGD, but it is a good excuse! I am hoping they will not find any gastritis, esophagitis or recurrence of Barrett's (had a Barrett's polyp removed early this year.)

((hugs)) Hope it all goes well and your fasting and lifestyle changes have allowed the esphagus and Barrett's to heal!!!!

Just checking in. I'm about to start the next part of my WLS process .... plastics!

I'm having a lower body lift & breast augmentation .... tomorrow! 😳 So I guess I'll join in the Monday fast. 🤣

I'm curious on how this will affect my weight. I'm heading into this surgery right in my 125-130 window (126.4 yesterday). My surgeon estimated 4 lbs or so of skin/fat removal, plus 2 lbs for the implants. So net net, I might be less 2 lbs after surgery. But then there is swelling. I'm sure my appetite will be suppressed at least early on in the process due to pain and nausea. But on the flip side I'll be less active during my recovery. So, yeah, we'll see!

13 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

Just checking in. I'm about to start the next part of my WLS process .... plastics!

I'm having a lower body lift & breast augmentation .... tomorrow! 😳 So I guess I'll join in the Monday fast. 🤣

I'm curious on how this will affect my weight. I'm heading into this surgery right in my 125-130 window (126.4 yesterday). My surgeon estimated 4 lbs or so of skin/fat removal, plus 2 lbs for the implants. So net net, I might be less 2 lbs after surgery. But then there is swelling. I'm sure my appetite will be suppressed at least early on in the process due to pain and nausea. But on the flip side I'll be less active during my recovery. So, yeah, we'll see!

hard to say. I lost about 3 lbs with my first procedure, and GAINED about that much with the second! Depends on how much they take off, if they do any Lipo, how much swelling there is...

you're right about the loss of appetite the first few days vs. not being as active. I think those two probably balance each other out.