Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

8 hours ago, sillykitty said:

I've been thinking a lot about BMR, and why I maintain on higher cals, while others maintain on so much less. There is nothing special about me that I should be such an outlier. I'm not particularly muscular, barley active at all. I got to be MO not by any extreme type of binge eating, just your typical eating too much & too poorly.

Just an idea ... but those that maintain on sub 1500 cals, do you think it is possible you could maintain at higher cals? Is your body just at a set point, and it's staying stable because you don't have much more fat to lose? Have anyone flexed their cals up, gotten past an initial bounce, and then seen the scale go back down?

This is a small, self selecting subsection here on BP. In general we are here because we are more dedicated, and compliant than your average WLS patient, IMO. Is there a whole other world out there of WLS patients not tracking and eating freely, and maintaining at whatever weight they are comfortable with? Or even some on BP who don't post about their diet because their experience is different than most everything they read here?

Also, this is considered metabolic surgery, right? Part of the science behind it is it is a positive metabolic affect.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/13/well/why-weight-loss-surgery-works-when-diets-dont.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3920787/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140326142209.htm

http://clinchem.aaccjnls.org/content/64/1/72

https://www.nature.com/news/weight-loss-surgery-a-gut-wrenching-question-1.15560

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/12/7/16587316/bariatric-surgery-weight-loss-lap-band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rPoeYfOm8I

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5485884/

So .. I'm not sure what to make of all this, just that I can't be all alone .... right??

I wish I could consume more calories with how much I exercise. First two years, I maintained with little effort around 1500/1800 calories. Third year, things changed. The calories that once worked I had to dial back. The scale does not go back down when I increase calories.

I wonder how people maintain with ease (not logging and eating freely) I will always have to be mindful of eating healthy without being obsessive. It’s my personal maintaining battle.

Is there anyone afraid to post about their diet? I’m afraid of misleading or derailing someone’s progress.

On 11/07/2019 at 08:08, ms.sss said:

...have you considered extending your eating window (or shifting it forward/backward as needed) on those days that you get too busy to eat?

I have, but on 2 previous days this week alone it would’ve put me eating after 10pm.
First, the thought of eating that late really freaks me out.
Second, my work schedule this week is 6:30a -5-ish (or whenever I finally cant take anymore and I’m tired of working unpaid— stayed til past 6pm those nights)
If I’m eating past 10pm, I’ll never get enough sleep.

My restriction still causes me to experience extreme nausea/stomach cramping if I try to eat within a few hours of waking up.
Usually I can stand to have more than coffee with some milk about 3+ hours after waking up.
Before that and I feel extremely ill/bloated/crampy and I don’t drink very much Water.

Very interesting thoughts on BMR and what factors may or may not influence it.

Like many post-menopausal women, I just KNOW I’ve got a sluggish metabolism.

I’m months behind many of you guys, so I also know I’m still a honeymooner for sure, so I’m really hesitant to push any boundaries at this point.
I can’t help but wonder if there’s some super-secret recorder in my body keeping track of every bad choice I’ve made since surgery and is just waiting for the honeymoon to be over so it can punish me with outrageous regain.
Yes, that’s not the worlds most rational thought process, but there are days where I still feel so frustrated with my slooooooooooooooow loss thus far and my inability to shake off bad days.
I’ve had a couple of wicked stalls that still haunt me bc I feel as if valuable honeymoon time got “wasted” and even though I really do know better, it still gets to me.

I’m frightened to move forward. I keep telling myself that I need to lost “just a few more pounds” to give myself that cushion.
I’m not weighing myself often-which is probably the best thing possible right now for my mental health- because I’m afraid to see a number higher than goal weight.

I’m particularly struggling this week due to the crazy schedule and Constipation.
Tomorrow will definitely be a mom day (5 days no poop now) and eating even small amounts is making my tummy feel overstuffed because of said constipation. I feel gross and completely stuffed to the gills and I just had a dinner of about 1/2 cup pork and salad.

11 hours ago, sillykitty said:

This is a small, self selecting subsection here on BP. In general we are here because we are more dedicated, and compliant than your average WLS patient, IMO. Is there a whole other world out there of WLS patients not tracking and eating freely, and maintaining at whatever weight they are comfortable with? Or even some on BP who don't post about their diet because their experience is different than most everything they read here?

I lurk on this thread because I will be in maintenance soon and I’m mostly a lurker anyway 😃 I’ve met my first goal but I’d like to meet another “healthy” BMI goal before I officially call maintenance. I do not log anything and I don’t track calories, carbs, or Protein. I’m not overly active but I’m much more active than I was if that makes sense. I guess I’m selective with my compliance. I don’t log anything but I weigh everything (if I’m at home and have my scale or what I meal prep). I wait 30 min before and after eating before drinking and I haven’t introduced any starchy carbs back into my diet (veggie carbs are fair game). I make sure I have protein at every meal but I don’t log it in any kind of app or check my macros. I read nutrition labels on things to make sure it’s more than 5(preferably 15)g of protein and less than 15(preferably 5)g of sugar but these are just general guidelines I live by. My restriction is still there because even at 9 months out I can only generally eat between 5-6oz by weight per meal. I don’t know what the life long affects of my path will lead to but I feel like I’m doing ok for now and it seems like a plan I can live with. If when I get to when the honeymoon phase is over and it’s not working any longer than I will reassess and see if I need to start tracking everything but I’m loathe to do that. I don’t know if the above makes me an outlier similar to you but maybe so I thought I would share.

I know the rate of weight loss depends on many variables, but I am really wondering how much malabsorption plays into it. For example, I lost my weight very quickly, but I know I have fat malabsorption, and maybe that is an indication of malabsorption of all the other nutrients, as well. My poos are loose, frequent, and floatie, which means they are passing through quickly and allowing even less absorption. I have also developed ostopenia and I am struggling to keep my weight above 140.

Sheribear, you are constipated and have been a slow loser. It makes me wonder if you are absorbing more nutrients and things are moving through more slowly, allowing for even more absorption.

My situation may look exciting in the short term, but if I have long term nutritional deficits, it could turn out to be a real problem, especially with the Calcium. Sheribear, although you may feel discouraged at times, the longer, slower loss may indeed be healthier in the long run, if it means you are absorbing more nutrition and avoiding deficiencies. I guess only time will tell. I sure didn't expect to look so gaunt and thin so quickly. I cover up my upper arms and chest to hide the ribs, bony shoulders, and protruding spine and collar bones. I am going to order some A cup bras, as the B is even too big now. I still don't recognize my body in the mirror. It looks like an old, old woman. In some ways, i wish my loss was slower, so my brain could catch up to my body. Oh, well, we play the hand we are dealt, right? It just goes to show how different we all are, and even though we may be following our plans, exercising, and doing everything "right," the individual experiences can be vastly different. Fast loss does not mean someone was a super hero in their plan, just as slow loss does not mean someone was slacking. It may even be related to pouch size and how much actual small intestine was bypassed - completely out of our control.

Please hang in there, Feb buddies! We are all so close and our surgiversery is just around the corner!

Edited by AZhiker

On 11/7/2019 at 8:49 PM, AZhiker said:

I know the rate of weight loss depends on many variables, but I am really wondering how much malabsorption plays into it. For example, I lost my weight very quickly, but I know I have fat malabsorption, and maybe that is an indication of malabsorption of all the other nutrients, as well. My poos are loose, frequent, and floatie, which means they are passing through quickly and allowing even less absorption. I have also developed ostopenia and I am struggling to keep my weight above 140.

Sheribear, you are constipated and have been a slow loser. It makes me wonder if you are absorbing more nutrients and things are moving through more slowly, allowing for even more absorption.

My situation may look exciting in the short term, but if I have long term nutritional deficits, it could turn out to be a real problem, especially with the Calcium. Sheribear, although you may feel discouraged at times, the longer, slower loss may indeed be healthier in the long run, if it means you are absorbing more nutrition and avoiding deficiencies. I guess only time will tell. I sure didn't expect to look so gaunt and thin so quickly. I cover up my upper arms and chest to hide the ribs, bony shoulders, and protruding spine and collar bones. I am going to order some A cup bras, as the B is even too big now. I still don't recognize my body in the mirror. It looks like an old, old woman. In some ways, i wish my loss was slower, so my brain could catch up to my body. Oh, well, we play the hand we are dealt, right? It just goes to show how different we all are, and even though we may be following our plans, exercising, and doing everything "right," the individual experiences can be vastly different. Fast loss does not mean someone was a super hero in their plan, just as slow loss does not mean someone was slacking. It may even be related to pouch size and how much actual small intestine was bypassed - completely out of our control.

Please hang in there, Feb buddies! We are all so close and our surgiversery is just around the corner!

All interesting stuff @AZhiker Completely agree that faster losses don't = more compliant.

As far as malabsorption, that isn't a factor with the VSG. And the research has shown similar metabolic effects with both surgeries. I think it does explain why on average weight loss is faster with the RNY than with the VSG.

I too have wondered about fast vs. slow digestive tracks. Mine is very slow. Might be a genetic factor, because so is my mom's. It is not uncommon to go 3-4-5 days, an then go two days in a row, then repeat. But never in my life have I ever felt what other describe as constipated. I have an ex who is a GI, and I got up the drunken courage one night to ask him about it. He said as long as you have your own regularity, and not causing any other issues then there is nothing to worry about. He also said he wasn't aware of any research on how it would affect weight.

On 11/09/2019 at 09:39, sillykitty said:

All interesting stuff @AZhiker Completely agree that faster losses don't = more compliant.

As far as malabsorption, that isn't a factor with the VSG. And the research has shown similar metabolic effects with both surgeries. I think it does explain why on average weight loss is faster with the RNY than with the VSG.

I too have wondered about fast vs. slow digestive tracks. Mine is very slow. Might be a genetic factor, because so is my mom's. It is not uncommon to go 3-4-5 days, an then go two days in a row, then repeat. But never in my life have I ever felt what other describe as constipated. I have an ex who is a GI, and I got up the drunken courage one night to ask him about it. He said as long as you have your own regularity, and not causing any other issues then there is nothing to worry about. He also said he wasn't aware of any research on how it would affect weight.

Yes I’m a VGS patient and the main reason I chose VGS over bypass was exactly bc of malabsorption.
Had I been even 10 years older, I might have chosen bypass, but I’ve still got to work full time while maintaining super-high levels of energy and focus.
This info stays here, but my career is extremely youth-oriented. It’s extremely difficult for those of us >50 to keep up.
Lately at my age and stage I was STRUGGLING physically to hang in there.
A chain retail pharmacists MUST be able to work 10-12 hour shifts with zero breaks, downtime or relief all the while being able to multi-task incredibly heavy burdens.
One moment of distraction (which most commonly is a result of a full bladder, empty stomach, or physically worn out body) can be deadly and every single one of us is aware of this at all times.

For me, side effects from malabsorption, whether it be dumping or fatigue from Vitamin and nutrient deficiency wasn’t an option if I want to be as safe to the public as each and every person deserves.
On the other hand, being chronically tired and physically wrung out due to carrying around 100+ pounds excess weight wasn’t helping so that had to change.
I figure with just the weight I’ve lost so far, I’ve given myself another 10-12 years extended career time, which is amazing since I’m 51 and I’d love to keep working part-time after age 65.

I’ve always been a slow metabolizer. Even when I was a thin college student, I’d gain weight easily if I didn’t keep track of calories and activity. Even though WLS gives us a metabolic reset, mine prior to being completely messed up wasn’t the best so I’m expecting that I’ll never be the girl who can maintain in the 1800-2000 range even with increased activity.
Honestly I’m okay with that. If I have to maintain at 1200-1400 daily, then that’s what I’ll do. I have this tool. I plan on using it for the rest of my life. I will use my tool and I will use IF.

I do battle intense Constipation. Like Sillykitty, I’m a 1-2 times weekly “mover” and once it hits 4/5 days, I’m uncomfortable. It does take me at least 3 days though bc the discomfort starts. I use senna/mom about once weekly, and that’s on top of my daily Miralax.
I drink plenty of Water, but I’ve always battled chronic constipation so it’s nothing new.

Side note: weighed myself this morning (still slightly constipated,BTW) and I’m now exactly GW -5 pounds.
I’m thinking I’m going to set a goal to lose 2.5 more pounds between now and thanksgiving so if I do have some holiday bounce I can stay right around 150.

image-0.0020265579223632812.jpg

Operation Quit Smoking - Part Deux, Update:

It's Day 10, babies. After a rough few days of likely nicotine-withdrawal-induced crankiness, I am glad to say that I have remained smoke-free since I said I would (and am noticeably less cranky, so say Mr. & the Kid).

...AND I didn't even succumb when I kept BFF company while she smoked outside after brunch today. Yes, there was a twinge of longing, but the desire to stay on the wagon was stronger. Yay Me!

Edited by ms.sss

Yayayayayayayayaayay!!!! Soooooo excited for you and so dang proud of you!!! Iron Will! Woot!!! Congrats on 10 days!!!

way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple days behind,, yes I’m still freezing all the time all year long. Clothes do not help the only thing really is a hot shower or submerging in tub Somehow other than once before my surgery I have not been to see a dietitian - so much for that center of excellence. I am thinking about a dietitian to help me a adjust to next stage - tmenopause Then I recognize probably not sure don’t think... honestly I went from WLS to plastics and now recognize to some degree I need to focus on other things. I need a hobby so i’m signing up for pottery classes

Ok - So I actually wrote this on another thread just now, but I thought maybe it would be more relevant/appropriate here. @FluffyChix and I were discussing barbie dream goal weights on the thread and I had some DEEP THOUGHTS hahahahahaha....

P.S. see link below if you are interested in reading it in context

--------------------------------

OK, so I noticed a behavioural pattern in me that I sort of see in others as well, based on their posts/comments/etc that I have read.

So I remember when I was at 127 lbs I was of the opinion that I was way too small and was adamant I did not want to lose any more, and I wanted to maintain in the 125-130 range.

Then I got under 125. Something in me changed and I mentally switched my maintain range to 120-125.

During my attempts to transition into maintenance, I got under 120. Not surprisingly, my chosen maintain range became 115-120. If I got near too near 120, I would buckle down to get closer to 117.5

Fast forward to today and for some reason or another, I got under 115. I've been under 115 for about a month now. Now even though I am now 10-15 lbs below what I thought was too small way back then, I find myself getting lowkey concerned when I get closer to 115! I mean, for the past couple days I have been like 3-4 ounces within 115 and I find myself watching my food choices more closely.

Its as if each new 5 lbs loss increment becomes the new standard (despite it being intentional or not) that I have to defend.

Now don't get me wrong, I am very pleased with how I look and feel these days, and don't feel I need to lose nor gain any weight. Right now this is just an observation that *may* be a concern *if* I get under 110 or 105 (which honestly I think is very unlikely). I just sorta wonder sometimes if I would feel the need defend a 100-105 range if I ever got there?

I dunno. We'll cross that bridge if we ever come to it. In the meantime, whoo-hoo, LOL

Original Thread:

On 11/11/2019 at 08:51, ms.sss said:

Ok - So I actually wrote this on another thread just now, but I thought maybe it would be more relevant/appropriate here. @FluffyChix and I were discussing barbie dream goal weights on the thread and I had some DEEP THOUGHTS hahahahahaha....

OK, so I noticed a behavioural pattern in me that I sort of see in others as well, based on their posts/comments/etc that I have read.

So I remember when I was at 127 lbs I was of the opinion that I was way too small and was adamant I did not want to lose any more, and I wanted to maintain in the 125-130 range.

Then I got under 125. Something in me changed and I mentally switched my maintain range to 120-125.

During my attempts to transition into maintenance, I got under 120. Not surprisingly, my chosen maintain range became 115-120. If I got near too near 120, I would buckle down to get closer to 117.5

Fast forward to today and for some reason or another, I got under 115. I've been under 115 for about a month now. Now even though I am now 10-15 lbs below what I thought was too small way back then, I find myself getting lowkey concerned when I get closer to 115! I mean, for the past couple days I have been like 3-4 ounces within 115 and I find myself watching my food choices more closely.

Its as if each new 5 lbs loss increment becomes the new standard (despite it being intentional or not) that I have to defend.

Now don't get me wrong, I am very pleased with how I look and feel these days, and don't feel I need to lose nor gain any weight. Right now this is just an observation that *may* be a concern *if* I get under 110 or 105 (which honestly I think is very unlikely). I just sorta wonder sometimes if I would feel the need defend a 100-105 range if I ever got there?

I dunno. We'll cross that bridge if we ever come to it. In the meantime, whoo-hoo, LOL

Original Thread:

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/428383-daily-menus-for-maintenance/&comment=4824893&embedComment=4824893&embedDo=findComment

This resonates bc I’m slowly discovering the same and I’ve only been in maintenance for a month.
My very first goal ever was to weight at or below 175.
Being such a math head, and knowing what my weight was going in, the type of surgery I was having, and calculating approximately my “excess fat” I knew it would be pushing the upper limit (80% excess fat lost) to get to 175.
The whole time as I was prepping and doing the head work and the physical prep, this was my absolute gold standard. If I could hit 175, then I’d accomplished EVERYTHING I’d set out to do and had hoped and dreamed for. At 175 pounds, i would’ve lost 80 pounds out of my 100 excess pounds of fat. In short, absolutely worth it and considered a success.

Well, as I started losing, my inner-voice started talking to me about how nice it would be if I could lose 90 pounds excess fat. So then I started toying with the idea of 165.

Then that voice started to get greedy “why not shoot for an even 100 pounds?”, the voice said.
So 4 weeks ago I hit 155 and I was ready to stop.
Except I’ve lost another 5 pounds in those 4 weeks and I feel as if I look and feel even better now than I did 4 weeks ago.
I don’t want to get addicted to losing weight, but I now think that I’m going to shoot for 145 (which originally was the rock-bottom number I wanted to hit to be at the low end of maintenance).

Yeah, so I’m also taking the “crossing that bridge” mentality bc this whole process is just plain freaky at times. Never ever in my wildest dreams did I think this would happen— and I’m a slow loser/metabolizer

9 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Original Thread:

11 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Original Thread:

I felt the need to defend my weight loss. It’s work getting to goal. I was preparing for the 10+ weight bounce, fear of regain, and the scale affected how I feel about myself. I felt great when the scale was at its lowest. I felt like I failed this process with a slight gain.

It has taken years to work out some of these things. We all have our own battles.

You are doing great.

I hit 125 for the first time today so I ate more. I don’t want to lose more. I’m not too thin, I just feel comfortable where I am. I’ve been holding steady at 126.4-127.8 for 2 months which seems to fit me.