Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

10 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Hi, Healthy Life.

As you can see from our surgery dates, many of us are just now entering the maintenance phase. There isn't nearly as much structure as there was in the very regimented weight loss phase, and the fact that we have so many more food choices is a bit intimidating. Also, it is tough to make the mental shift from weight loss to maintenance. And yes, some of us are concerned that we continue to lose weight because we can't seem to get enough calories.

I can totally relate to what MouseCat is feeling because I'm going through the same thing. We'll eventually get where you are, but in the meantime please go easy on us and try to remember what it was like when you were making the shift to maintenance.

Take what is useful on this site and ignore/block the rest.

I’m not always going to be a light touch when I’m concerned about someone’s health issues. Take it or leave it. My tough love comes from a place of caring.

11 hours ago, Healthy_life2 said:

You posted “Yesterday I ate straight JUNK knowing I would get sick but it was a lot of calories and I felt desperate in the moment to "stop losing". I did get sick, Not shocking” “1350 (give or take). Which is comical since I eat about 600-700 cals tops (and obviously a lot less today).Also cleared to go back to the gym in January post-plastics so that'll add to the massive calorie deficit. Buhhhh. I’m on that path to gaunt.”

I’m glad you checked into this thread. All of us had to increase calories, fats and carbs with tight surgery restriction. We are proof it can be done.

Tough love,

If you honestly want to stop losing weight, STOP eating in weight loss mode.

You know what you need to do.

• Graze all day to up your calories. Your restriction will be less over time. It will get easier.
  • Add low glycemic carbs and healthy fats. (Don’t eat junk food to get calories in)

Are you still working on becoming a trainer? What would you tell a client that was going back to the gym to work out on 600/700 calories?

If you want different results make better choices.

Yeah, of course I know what I NEED to do. I just have an eating disorder and severe BD so it isn't quite as simple. It's like telling someone with depression to stop being sad. I am incredibly self-aware of the choices I make and how destructive they are. But these issues don't just resolve themselves overnight. I've had BD for over 20 years now and it hasn't remotely improved. So any ounce gained freaks me out. So part of me wants to stop losing, because that's the right thing. But part of me doesn't and is happy continuously losing until ?????

Edited by mousecat88

The sick part of me would be happy until I was 90lbs and on a feeding tube and dead by age 40 just so I "finally looked skinny". Every day is a struggle against those thoughts to even eat the 700 calories I do get. So that in itself is a big achievement for me. The script flipped from food addiction to food aversion and now since I have a "reason" I "can't" eat more... the sick part of my head is like "oh, you CAN'T eat more because you had bypass. AWESOME! don't bother! lose more more more!" (And, yes, I do see a psychiatrist for all of this). If I could get over always seeing myself as fat, which I did when I was thin virtually my entire life, maintenance would be a much simpler path.

Well BD generally does not limit functioning but restriction will limit functioning and health till it kills. Both limit happiness - hope you seek help to allow decent choices. The loss phase was so exhilarating but maintaining is just the rest of one’s life and can be such a bore. I am pleased and inspired to learn how each of us finds excitement and joy in new activities to keep a bit of the rush.

9 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

The sick part of me would be happy until I was 90lbs and on a feeding tube and dead by age 40 just so I "finally looked skinny". Every day is a struggle against those thoughts to even eat the 700 calories I do get. So that in itself is a big achievement for me. The script flipped from food addiction to food aversion and now since I have a "reason" I "can't" eat more... the sick part of my head is like "oh, you CAN'T eat more because you had bypass. AWESOME! don't bother! lose more more more!" (And, yes, I do see a psychiatrist for all of this). If I could get over always seeing myself as fat, which I did when I was thin virtually my entire life, maintenance would be a much simpler path.

Seeing someone is a great start

Good Luck 💙

18 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

I wasnt going to ask but here we go

How/how quickly did you make it past the pysch clearances?

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

I wasnt going to ask but here we go

How/how quickly did you make it past the pysch clearances?

We just had to take a 150 or something question test for our psych clearance. I told the psychologist about my issues with my appearance but they didn't consider body dysmorphia an issue... they were SUPER just focused on if I was a drug/alcohol addict or an emotional eater. Probably 50% of the questions were about drinking habits. I just took that test and that was it. I sorta think everyone figured when I got down to my former weight my body dysmorphia would just disappear because I would have a) experienced being actually fat and b) realize that at 140 I wasn't fat... thus solving the problem. Wrongo. My psychiatrist signed my clearance form no questions asked. I treat with her mostly for my Tourette's, however. We just recently started discussing the body dysmorphia, but I have seen a LOT of therapists in my past for it but have always been a therapy flunky. My current doc has always known about my body image issues, but until recently my biggest concern has been my motor tics so that is what we typically focus on since it outwardly affects my life (socially). But now the body image stuff is playing a more dangerous role, which is why we are focusing on that more now, too.

Edited by mousecat88

It's funny how I can give fantastic nutritional guidance (basic) and exercise guidance to people (outside of the WLS community), but can't follow it myself. Such is always the case in all aspects of my life. lol. "Take your own damn advice!" I hear myself encouraging people to eat healthy carbs, help with grocery lists, and help them set goals and design programming appropriate for their exercise goals, etc. And I'm like hmm... I should do this too. Nahhhhhh. lmao.

Edited by mousecat88

1 hour ago, mousecat88 said:

I sorta think everyone figured when I got down to my former weight my body dysmorphia would just disappear because I would have a) experienced being actually fat and b) realize that at 140 I wasn't fat... thus solving the problem.

Sadly body issues don't go away by addressing the body. It's the mind, baby. I'd like to think your (medical) advisers know/knew this.

It's a really good thing that you are aware of what's going on with you AND are taking steps to get it under control! You read very laid back and relaxed and accepting about approaching this and that also is a good thing.

Good Luck!

Edited by ms.sss

21 hours ago, ms.sss said:

You could probably just lay down and be fed 1200 cals intravenously (you couldn't feed yourself, cuz that would expend energy, lol) and you wouldn't lose nor gain a single ounce.

I would like to introduce you to my metabolism starting around the age of 50. According to my Fitbit and MFP I have 600-1000 extra calories a day after I’ve consumed 1200. I stick to 1200 and my weight has been 126.4 to 127.8 for 2 months now.

4 minutes ago, Cheeseburgh said:

I would like to introduce you to my metabolism starting around the age of 50

Hahaha! I sooo get it!!!

Congrats on maintaining so well!!

If only intellectual answers could conquer emotional problems. It is not easy and not thrilling. Now tell me more about that metabolism.. I need to take a crash course. Think some of my summer medical complications sent my hormones into some delusional concept I am ready for the next life phase.

1 hour ago, Cheeseburgh said:

I would like to introduce you to my metabolism starting around the age of 50. According to my Fitbit and MFP I have 600-1000 extra calories a day after I’ve consumed 1200. I stick to 1200 and my weight has been 126.4 to 127.8 for 2 months now.

Yeah, everyone's metabolism is different. Some, like Kitty, can consume 2000 cals a day AND not do a stick of exercise AND still maintain. I maintain on 2000-ish calories too, BUT I run a minimum 5kms every day + other various exercise throughout the week. I'm sure if I stopped doing all that and kept my cals at 2000, I'd most definitely gain weight.

Also: your maintain range is remarkably small! Mine is like a 5-6 lbs spread!

Edited by ms.sss

On 11/06/2019 at 13:31, Cheeseburgh said:

Okay so I just know this is going to be me as well.

Honestly it’s one big reason why I’ve decided to weigh myself 1-2 times monthly now because I’m still eating under 900 calories most days (and under 700 twice this week my accident) and I just don’t want to know exactly where I am.

And yes.. with my current restriction if the unexpected happens like a coworker calls in, then I’m too busy at work to even eat the food I’ve stuffed in my pocket and skip through 5 hours of my 8 hour eating window and I literally can’t make it up when I get home.
So far it’s only Wednesday and I’ve already worked over 40 hours this week with no day off scheduled til Saturday.
Lol, I ran out of iced coffee and don’t have the ability to make it at work so Protein Shakes are out also.

I’ve “made up” for it by drinking over 80 ounces Water daily by 4pm so I can actually eat when I get home and I can definitely say I’m probably losing water weight this week.
I could grab crap (we have candy bars on every work surface) but I refuse to compromise