Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

9 hours ago, Healthy_life2 said:

What age range was he in?

My moment was with my dentist. He said... if you were MY mother, I would do X procedure. At least he didn’t say I could be his grandmother.

He was late 20's or early 30's. He also called me "Sir," but people did that when I reached 40 or so.

I've lost three pounds over the past week, which concerns me a bit. I contacted my nutritionist, and she said I should target 1,700 to 1,800 calories, which sounds awfully high. She suggested I do it by increasing healthy carbs. I just hope I can actually eat that much in one day.

Peanut or nut butters add calories quick.

So I think my body is weird. I have been at over 1000 calories since August and still dropped a few pounds. September was closer to 1100-maybe 1300. The past few weeks I’ve been bumping up to 1300-1500 with 40% carbs (it was so scary to do that) and I have lost 1-2 pounds in the past month. It has been so much easier to eat more. I can now eat an egg, slice of cheese and 1 cup of cooked spinach in 10-15 minutes and usually finish that. I can drink 16 oz of a Protein Shake in less than 30 minutes vs it took me an hour to do that 1-2 months ago.
Regarding exercise I only go to the gym 2x week but I’m pretty active at home and work so I am usually getting 7-10k steps on non gym days.
Even though I am purposely eating more than I desire to slow down weight loss/maintain I do worry that I’m creating bad habits like eating when I don’t feel like it. If I’m busy at work I will go only have 250 calories and suddenly it’s 3pm and I’ve had nothing else. No I’m not eating Cookies or chips but I am purposely eating high calorie foods.
I do feel like I’m in control of things now. A few months ago I felt like I didn’t and was loosing too fast.

13 hours ago, Recidivist said:

We are in Canberra. We lived here from 2014 to 2017 and fell in love with it!

Never got to see the more inland parts of Australia (we stayed and visited mostly along the coast), but I hear its beauuuutiful. Time to enjoy life down there! You may even pick up the awesome accent :)

13 hours ago, Recidivist said:

I've lost three pounds over the past week, which concerns me a bit. I contacted my nutritionist, and she said I should target 1,700 to 1,800 calories, which sounds awfully high. She suggested I do it by increasing healthy carbs. I just hope I can actually eat that much in one day.

I suspect that as you get further along you'll see that it may not be as high as you think, nor as difficult. I'm a good 6 inches shorter than you (and a female) and based on my records, it looks like I maintain in the 2000's. Anything less and I will generally lose.

Try not to stress (I know, I know, easier said) and just enjoy the ride...your body will find its equilibrium eventually.

My tip for adding extra cals in a pinch: Avocados, Nuts/Seeds and CHICHARRON (my fave, lol).

Edited to add:

Oh, and if you are interested, check out this thread. I started it a couple weeks ago so maintainers specifically can see/share how we are handling our food intakes (so far its mostly just me posting though, lol. And @FluffyChix sometimes ❤️ :

Edited by ms.sss

11 hours ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

I do feel like I’m in control of things now. A few months ago I felt like I didn’t and was loosing too fast.

👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

I’m 1 month plus out and I feel like I eat too much. I get too close to 1000 for my liking

As you may recall, I'm trying to increase my calories now that I'm in maintenance. I ate two large spoonfuls of Peanut Butter yesterday, which was delicious--but I ended up dumping like never before and felt sick for the rest of the day. I should note that this was organic peanut butter with no sugar added, so I'm guessing it must have been the fat.

I have had some success with cheese and crackers, but I'd be interested in other suggestions. What are some examples of healthy carbs?

On 10/25/2019 at 8:26 PM, KohakuSueda said:

I’m 1 month plus out and I feel like I eat too much. I get too close to 1000 for my liking

You may be right, 1000 cals may be on the high side this early in the game (1 month po, right?). Can you reach out to your team for guidance?

10 hours ago, Recidivist said:

As you may recall, I'm trying to increase my calories now that I'm in maintenance. I ate two large spoonfuls of Peanut Butter yesterday, which was delicious--but I ended up dumping like never before and felt sick for the rest of the day. I should note that this was organic Peanut Butter with no sugar added, so I'm guessing it must have been the fat.

I have had some success with cheese and crackers, but I'd be interested in other suggestions. What are some examples of healthy carbs?

Dumping sucks. It's the one bane of my existence post-op. Everything else I can get used to, but Dumping? Nope.

As for "healthy" carbs, you can try sweet potatoes, carrots, Beans, lentils, quinoa...

Naturally, as soon as I questioned the instruction from my most recent appointment (and complained that the current calories were too low for me to avoid losing) I stopped losing. Nothing for almost 2 weeks now. So annoying! Now that I've set my mind on losing another 10-15 pounds, I'm hoping it's just another stall and not my new set point.

glad i decided to click to this thread via my "losing too much" post. such a bizarre challenge to have. lol. i feel like i ate a good amount this weekend (yesterday i had 3 egg whites, 2 turkey sausages, a large yogurt... thing... (cracker barrel, lol), 4oz filet mignon, a serving of cheddies, kiwi aloe drink, a pumpkin spice chai latte w/ almond milk, and 2 servings of Zeroodle lentil fettucine w/ chunky spaghetti sauce and parm cheese) and was down another pound this morning. *head explodes*

On 10/28/2019 at 11:49, mousecat88 said:

glad i decided to click to this thread via my "losing too much" post. such a bizarre challenge to have. lol. i feel like i ate a good amount this weekend (yesterday i had 3 egg whites, 2 turkey sausages, a large yogurt... thing... (cracker barrel, lol), 4oz filet mignon, a serving of cheddies, kiwi aloe drink, a pumpkin spice chai latte w/ almond milk, and 2 servings of Zeroodle lentil fettucine w/ chunky spaghetti sauce and parm cheese) and was down another pound this morning. *head explodes*

It always takes 3-5 days to see the scale move either up after high cals or down after low cals for me