Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

2 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

DEXA is a good option to know your exact body composition.

I've never had a DEXA or BODY POD scan. I’m into fitness to stay healthy. I’m not a competitive lifter or professional athlete. I use a cheap bed bath and beyond body composition scale. It gives me my weight, fat percentage, Water weight, bone density. its not 100% accurate just a guideline. I know body fat percentage. I just keep plugging away on my fitness goals.

my cheap body composition scale:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/weight-watchers-reg-by-conair-trade-body-analysis-digital-bathroom-scale/5080596?keyword=weight-watchers-scale

I read this article

https://www.dexafit.com/blog2//benefits-of-a-body-composition-analysis

benefits of having a body composition analysis: Assessing bone density and body composition. then devising a plan for muscle gain and fat loss in specific areas.

If I’m already on a lifting plan and building lean body mass, I’m not sure what the benefit of the scan will do for me.

Your thoughts?

Dang! I don't see that you'd need one (DXA), then!

I have one of the scales that does body fat and weight too, but not bone density/lbm. But honestly if it gives fat% by impedence measurement and you do it at the same time each day when you are least swollen from Fluid retention (bf%) which is mostly in the afternoon, you can get your lbm by math.

I most wanted my DXA to confirm I haven't lost bone, and to finally find out just "HOW" much extra fat do I really truly have.

My scale measures exactly the same for weight and body fat as at my doctors office. They have a fancy scale that does what your's does!

16 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

you don't want the doctor kind (the kind insurance would cover). That only measures bone density. You want one of the commercial ones - or sports ones. That covers bone density AND body composition. Body composition is the one that tells you the percentage breakdown of fat, muscle, and bone. THAT is what you want. Unless you're just interested in bone density (e.g., to see if you have osteoporosis). Either type will tell you that.

it's done the same way - but the doctor ones don't measure body composition. I'm sure they COULD measure body composition, but doctors aren't interested in that part, so it's not included.

Will loose skin be an issue DEXA results?

10 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Dang! I don't see that you'd need one (DXA), then!

I have one of the scales that does body fat and weight too, but not bone density/lbm. But honestly if it gives fat% by impedence measurement and you do it at the same time each day when you are least swollen from Fluid retention (bf%) which is mostly in the afternoon, you can get your lbm by math.

I most wanted my DXA to confirm I haven't lost bone, and to finally find out just "HOW" much extra fat do I really truly have.

My scale measures exactly the same for weight and body fat as at my doctors office. They have a fancy scale that does what your's does!

I now see where it would be a benefit for me. Thanks for your input. Link below...and I'm out the door.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4217506/

Thank you hon! I was having a momentary pity party for 1, cuz my BD plans are canceled due to illness, Tropical Depression Ilena, and my coming non-bari surgery on Friday. So I have to stay "in the house", eat cleanly, AND be sober. Ugh, a seriously bd debbie downer way to celebrate endure your birthday! *snort* hehe But no worries, I'm all better now!

Amazing what a sf pumpkin spice mochachocalatte will do! :D

1 hour ago, Healthy_life2 said:

I've never had a DEXA or BODY POD scan. I’m into fitness to stay healthy. I’m not a competitive lifter or professional athlete. I use a cheap bed bath and beyond body composition scale. It gives me my weight, fat percentage, Water weight, bone density. its not 100% accurate just a guideline. I know body fat percentage. I just keep plugging away on my fitness goals.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/weight-watchers-reg-by-conair-trade-body-analysis-digital-bathroom-scale/5080596?keyword=weight-watchers-scale

I read this article

benefits of having a body composition analysis: Assessing bone density and body composition. then devising a plan for muscle gain and fat loss in specific areas.

If I’m already on a lifting plan and building lean body mass, I’m not sure what the benefit of the scan will do for me.

Your thoughts?

you may not need one, then. I got one when I got into the 140s because I wanted to know how much more weight I should aim to lose (my normal BMI range is 114-154). I figured I had another 10 lbs to go. Nope - at 146, I was already down to 22% body fat, so I..and the scan technician....and my PCP whom I shared the results with - all said it was time to stop. I was already AT my goal weight. It sounds like between having a scale that measures body composition (like you said, probably not super accurate, but at least in the ballpark), and being really in tune with your body due to lifting, you may not feel you need this information. In which case, save your money...

1 hour ago, Healthy_life2 said:

Will loose skin be an issue DEXA results?

not at all. Plus then you'd know how much of your "excess" weight is fat and how much is just loose skin. I had a ton of loose skin on my abdomen (I've since had it removed) and thought I had at least 10 more lbs to go to get rid of all that "fat". But it turned out it wasn't fat, since my fat composition was 22% - which is considered lean for women. So all that excess "fat" was actually loose skin.

2 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

my birthday (today).

HAPPPPPY HAPPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

On 09/18/2019 at 06:27, FluffyChix said:

Hahaha! Nope! Not a bit! Can't wait to hear your numbers!!!

A DXA is gonna be my Christmas pressie. I got Mary Kay Age Defying things for my birthday (today). :D And a pumpkin spice mochaloca latte after ralking a 3K at 5am. (apropos of nothing)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!
Lol, one of my besties also has her bday today.
So now I’ve got 2 special people to keep in mind today

On 09/18/2019 at 06:41, Healthy_life2 said:

I read this article

Your thoughts?

I’ve got one of those weird science brains that grooves on numbers and test results.
I was the kid in grade school that would cry if I got a 98 instead of a 100 on an exam.
I’ve tried in my life to back off of that all-or-nothing mentality but it takes conscious effort.
For me, I’d just really like to know from a curiosity standpoint where I am as a baseline for the start of maintenance (for some reason it doesn’t bother me too much that I’ll never know exactly what a train wreck I was pre WLS)
As I move through my 50s, I want my bones to stay as dense as they can and want to keep as much muscle as possible.
I’ve never been particularly coordinated or skilled athletically, but I do groove on being strong (more in a yoga/Pilates way than a strength-training kind of strong way)

[emoji322][emoji322][emoji322]Happy Birthday @ FluffyChix [emoji322][emoji322][emoji322][emoji322] Wishing you many more fantastic years with your slim/lean fabulosity!!!![emoji898][emoji898]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was mistaken, I didn’t have 2 Dexa scans. I had something called InBody 520. It looks like it isn’t as accurate. I didn’t pay for it directly so I don’t care. I know how much each of my limbs weigh though!

@FluffyChix Happy Birthday!

Edited by Cheeseburgh