Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

2 hours ago, ms.sss said:

For the Hair loss, I took Biotin every day until I finished the bottle and still had to endure the hair loss. I still find hairs laying around but not nearly as much as before. Also, I am seeing some teeny tiny baby fuzzy hairs sprouting form the hairline above my forehead...so I'm hopeful. From what I've read, the hair will eventually come back once our bodies stabilize. It may take a while, but it will come back (at least that is what I'm banking on 🤞🏼)

Unfortunately Biotin will not stave off Telogen Effluvium

Hi @ms.sss

I definitely don’t have as much restriction as before but I still can’t consume as much as pre-surgery (thank goodness). Especially when it comes to dense food like chicken or steak. I max out on those at 2.5-3oz. I can’t seem to figure out how to reply to a specific comment in this thread lol! Help please

Edited by goalz

4 hours ago, goalz said:

Hi @ms.sss

I definitely don’t have as much restriction as before but I still can’t consume as much as pre-surgery (thank goodness). Especially when it comes to dense food like chicken or steak. I max out on those at 2.5-3oz. I can’t seem to figure out how to reply to a specific comment in this thread lol! Help please

Do you see a quote button under posts? Click that, or type in @goalz (substitute name of poster you want to reply to). @xyzwhatever. Just use the @

Both will notify the poster you are replying to them.

Edited by Cheeseburgh

On 8/31/2019 at 11:41 AM, goalz said:

Hi @ms.sss

I definitely don’t have as much restriction as before but I still can’t consume as much as pre-surgery (thank goodness). Especially when it comes to dense food like chicken or steak. I max out on those at 2.5-3oz.

That's encouraging to hear that your upper limit is still so low even as far out as you are :) !

I've noticed a lessening of my own restriction lately. But more in the sense that I get "un-full" faster, if that makes any sense. I've been finding that I can eat much sooner after my last meal than before. On a related note, I've also noticed that I can go to bed/lie down sooner after eating without getting any reflux...so that's a good thing 👍🏼

A maintenance update and some observations (I'm 10 months post op, been maintaining for 3 months now)

• MFP tells me I'm averaging about 1600-2200 cals a day for the past 4 weeks (2238, 1652, 1949, 2231), and my weight has basically bounced around between 114-117 during this time. So it looks like I've found my sweet spot if I want to stay at this weight.
  • MFP also tells me I"m averaging about 90-140g of net carbs a day for the past 4 weeks (140, 90, 80, 100). Given my weight stability, I may not be a carb sensitive as I thought. I do however notice more bloating in my lower abdomen and face since I've upped the carbs. This is both a good thing and bad thing, I figure. The bloating in my tummy gives the illusion of abs and firmness, lol. But the bloating in my face is actually a welcome thing: personally, I think I look healthier, and my skin looks firmer on my cheeks and under my eyes.
  • I starting to slack off on portioning my food. I have noticed that I am getting overfull (that leads to foamies and barfing) more often than before because I am not being vigilant about pre-portioning my food. I am also noticing that I am eating faster than before, which again leads to foamies and barfing. I need to be more careful.
  • Finally, I'm totally noticing the changes of my almost daily strength training has done to my arms. I am getting pretty toned! Yay!

What about the other maintainers out there? How you guys doing?

Now that you are months or years out do you still feel aches or odd feelings from surgery?
I’m about 7 months post RNY. Sometimes it’s a few times a day and sometimes not for days at a time I feel an ache or pressure near my belly button where one of the incisions is. It’s not pain, almost feels like an irritation from a tight waist band.
I can’t see a pattern after eating certain foods etc. it’s not tender to the touch.
I don’t have Constipation or any other issues.
I never get pain near the pouch, if I eat or drink too much or too quick I get a discomfort between my shoulder blades.
If you had these odd feelings did it go away after time?

1 hour ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

Now that you are months or years out do you still feel aches or odd feelings from surgery?

No, none for me, other than the regular fullness/dumping feelings... (sorry I'm no help...hopefully someone will have something useful to add 🤞🏼)

3 hours ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

I’m about 7 months post RNY. Sometimes it’s a few times a day and sometimes not for days at a time I feel an ache or pressure near my belly button where one of the incisions is. It’s not pain, almost feels like an irritation from a tight waist band.
I can’t see a pattern after eating certain foods etc. it’s not tender to the touch.
I never get pain near the pouch, if I eat or drink too much or too quick I get a discomfort between my shoulder blades.

It may be scar tissue.

On 09/09/2019 at 09:22, 2Bsmaller18 said:

I agree it might be scar tissue. I’m 8 years out and still get annoying mild pains where my PEG tube was, and I had to have an emergency open bowel repair. I still get them.

Sorry if this is TMI but did anyone else have diarrhea trying to increase calories? I am not sure if it's the general increase in fat or carbs.

I thought I had a handle in trying to stay at this weight or maybe lose 5 pounds over a few months. It was working but now I am back to losing 2 pounds in 5 days. I am 5' 2.5 and now 129. I know I can still lose more and be ok however I have a lot of muscle and excess skin from prior weight gains and loses. I feel like I am getting too skinny. My face looks tired and gaunt, my wrists are so bony.

Here's what I eat and I am trying to increase calories but heavy meats fill me up for hours. I have to graze all day to get this in:

meals:

premier shake and 5 oz of milk (1-2%)

1 egg with 1c sauté spinach using olive oil, 1-2T cheese

4oz. premade chicken salad (130 cal with 3.5f, 13g protein)

1.5 oz ground beef with 1/4 c veggies (green Beans or broccoli) 1-2T cheese

snacks:

1T Peanut Butter

1 cup of milk

1/2 c berries (divided up all day long)

1-2 servings (5 oz cups) of low sugar yogurt sometimes the one with nut butter mixed in

1/4 c pumpkin seeds or walnuts

lentil crackers, nut thins crackers, or 1 sheet of graham cracker

harvest snaps green pea crisps

--- it all averages to 25% carbs (80g), 33% Protein (97g), 40% fat (44g) for an avg. of 1100 calories

I know some of the processed Snacks are not the best but I am trying to increase calories and carbs without the volume.

I have a hard time getting in Water since I always feel like I am eating but I figure the milk and yogurt as snacks helps somewhat with fluids.

Any suggestions?

33 minutes ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

Sorry if this is TMI but did anyone else have diarrhea trying to increase calories? I am not sure if it's the general increase in fat or carbs.

I thought I had a handle in trying to stay at this weight or maybe lose 5 pounds over a few months. It was working but now I am back to losing 2 pounds in 5 days. I am 5' 2.5 and now 129. I know I can still lose more and be ok however I have a lot of muscle and excess skin from prior weight gains and loses. I feel like I am getting too skinny. My face looks tired and gaunt, my wrists are so bony.

Here's what I eat and I am trying to increase calories but heavy meats fill me up for hours. I have to graze all day to get this in:

meals:

premier shake and 5 oz of milk (1-2%)

1 egg with 1c sauté spinach using olive oil, 1-2T cheese

4oz. premade chicken salad (130 cal with 3.5f, 13g protein)

1.5 oz ground beef with 1/4 c veggies (green Beans or broccoli) 1-2T cheese

snacks:

1T Peanut Butter

1 cup of milk

1/2 c berries (divided up all day long)

1-2 servings (5 oz cups) of low sugar yogurt sometimes the one with nut butter mixed in

1/4 c pumpkin seeds or walnuts

lentil crackers, nut thins crackers, or 1 sheet of graham cracker

harvest snaps green pea crisps

--- it all averages to 25% carbs (80g), 33% Protein (97g), 40% fat (44g) for an avg. of 1100 calories

I know some of the processed Snacks are not the best but I am trying to increase calories and carbs without the volume.

I have a hard time getting in Water since I always feel like I am eating but I figure the milk and yogurt as Snacks helps somewhat with fluids.

Any suggestions?

Just a thought, but unless you are a super athlete, at 5'2" you don't need 97g of Protein. I'd bring fats up and protein down and if needed, then add more carbs (complex, low gi). That might reduce your volume while it increases calories? Just thinking out loud.

5 hours ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

For me it was the fats. I didn't get diarrhea, but I got way more regular once I introduced alot of fats into my diet.

5 hours ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

I am trying to increase calories but heavy meats fill me up for hours. I have to graze all day to get this in

Yep, me too. It has to be done, though. Yesterday I tried an experiment of only eating when I'm hungry (i.e., not snacking) and I ended the day waaaay too low on calories, even with a last minute Protein Shake before bedtime. So if I don't want to lose any more weight, I guess I need to just keep eating.

We are the same height, and sounds like you get some exercise in (based on the muscle comment), and I seem to be maintaining on 1900 average cals a day (based on a 4 week cal range of 1600-2200 avg daily cals). So you will likely continue to lose weight at your current 1100 cals a day.

Like Fluffy said above, you can increase your fats and carbs. I personally do not purposefully increase my carbs, but I do try to increase my fats as much as I can (avocados, nuts/nut butters, olive oil, butter, full-fat everything). I also eat a lot of chicharron (yeah I know not the healthiest thing) but its a lot of calories and fat & Protein - and basically no carbs - AND its not filling (just 50g of it is like 200+ calories, 20g fat, 25g protein & 0 fat) I dip it in some apple cider vinegar...YUM.

Also, RE: the Water. I'm also averaging way less mL of water per day since increasing my cals, for the same reason as you. I get most of my water in in the morning before my first meal of the day (I normally skip Breakfast, not a breakfast person), then I basically spend the afternoon/early evening eating, then I'm back to drinking water up until bedtime. The eating does cut in to my water drinking time, but its the best I can do right now.

19 hours ago, ms.sss said:

AND its not filling (just 50g of it is like 200+ calories, 20g fat, 25g Protein & 0 fat)

oops, i can't edit this post anymore but I meant to type 0 carbs.

Sorry if I am repeating myself but I feel like this is the only place I can vent my frustration and my concerns without someone rolling their eyes. I never in my life thought I would have this issue and it's freaking me out.

I was concerned about losing too fast at the end of July at 136 even thought I was just into the healthy BMI. However my concern was I kept losing a steady 2-3#/week. I increased from 800 to 1000 calories and seemed to work with a little loss but bouncing around 132-134 for a few weeks. Then suddenly then past 2 weeks despite an avg of 1200 calories without increased activity I have lost 3 pounds in 10 days.

So the past few days I have increased to 1300-1400 but still lost another pound this morning. I am still mid range BMI however I am looking too thin since extra skin and have big muscular leg from carrying extra weight don't factor into a standard BMI chart.

I am trying to stay put around 130 but now am at 128 and don't want it to keep slipping.

I think the weight gainer shake may be my next step. I just don't want it to make me feel sick. I am forcing myself to get in every bit of that 1400 calories the past few days. It is like a full time job and is now giving me food aversions.

OK vent over.

@2Bsmaller18: give it a bit more time. Based on your menu post above, you were only at 1100 cals this past Tuesday (2 days ago!) Which, as discussed is most likely too low calories for you. Keep at 1400 for a couple more weeks (though more and more you sound like you are like me, and may need to go up to like 1900).

Avocados. Switch your 2% milk to full fat. Red meats. Potatoes. Salmon/Oily Fish. Full-fat mayo in your chicken salad.

It's hard. I had a difficult time mentally getting around the high cal stuff (still do a little). Keep at it. (and keep venting if you need to ❤️ )