Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

Well all of you were right and thank you for the advice. I was getting so anxious about never stalling and steadily losing 2-3 pounds per week and was afraid that despite increasing my calories to 1000 that I was heading into losing too much too quickly. Then with people making comments about getting too small or needing to eat more it messed with my head. I think it was also the fact of mentally not feeling in control of what was happening with my body I felt like I was on a runaway train.

It seems that the first 2 weeks of increased calories did nothing and I kept losing but the past 1-2 weeks I have been bouncing around 132-134 (5 ft 2). I am happy where I am right now at but if I could I would like to slowly lose maybe 5-10 over a few months, not weeks and gain some muscle that would be ideal.

I also am thinking since I am just now at the 6 month mark that realistically I could see a possible gain of 5-10 pounds on this journey and I want to have some wiggle room if that happens. I had backed off on fitness for fear of losing too much too quickly, so instead I am going to focus on fitness now and keeping calories and carb level where they are and see where that gets me.

I’ve been in maintenance for four years and it just kind of happened. All of a sudden at about fifteen months out I just stopped losing. I maintain on 1,000-1,300 calories a day.

9 minutes ago, Wendyfm said:

I’ve been in maintenance for four years and it just kind of happened. All of a sudden at about fifteen months out I just stopped losing. I maintain on 1,000-1,300 calories a day.

HI @Wendyfm! Glad to see another long time maintainer on here :)

4 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

HI @Wendyfm! Glad to see another long time maintainer on here :)

@ms.sss

i just saw @Wendyfm's post, and was going to say the same welcome back

you beat me to the punch😂

nice to see you Wendy - congrats on maintaining

kathy

20 minutes ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

Well all of you were right and thank you for the advice. I was getting so anxious about never stalling and steadily losing 2-3 pounds per week and was afraid that despite increasing my calories to 1000 that I was heading into losing too much too quickly. Then with people making comments about getting too small or needing to eat more it messed with my head. I think it was also the fact of mentally not feeling in control of what was happening with my body I felt like I was on a runaway train.

It seems that the first 2 weeks of increased calories did nothing and I kept losing but the past 1-2 weeks I have been bouncing around 132-134 (5 ft 2). I am happy where I am right now at but if I could I would like to slowly lose maybe 5-10 over a few months, not weeks and gain some muscle that would be ideal.

I also am thinking since I am just now at the 6 month mark that realistically I could see a possible gain of 5-10 pounds on this journey and I want to have some wiggle room if that happens. I had backed off on fitness for fear of losing too much too quickly, so instead I am going to focus on fitness now and keeping calories and carb level where they are and see where that gets me.

You do sound like you are in a better place now :) . I don't know your metabolism nor age nor exercise routine, but at 1000 cals a day you will likely continue to lose weight, which would likely get you that 5-10 lb loss you want over a couple months.

We are the same height, and I slowed down the loss to 2-3 lbs a month at 1300-1500 cals a day. I'd still need to increase my daily cals (to a number i don't know yet!) to totally stop. You'll have to do the same eventually, but you can do that when you are ready to stop losing weight. ❤️

On 6/3/2019 at 12:45 PM, Healthy_life2 said:

Knowing that my restriction is less, I must be mindful.

@Healthy_life2

very true!!

dense Protein (ie chicken, steak) i get full very quickly. i always request a "to go container" to be given to me

the same time as i receive my plate. I immediately put half food in container. Restriction helps.

Unfortunately at 7+ years PO - "good" restriction is not usually applicable

kathy

41 minutes ago, goalz said:

I’m also 4 yrs out and maintain in 1000-1300 cal. Anything over that and it’s a gain for sure.

How tall are you?

Alrighty. So am back from vacay.

This was my first real "indulgent" vacation since going into maintenance. I've been on a couple road trips since deciding to stop weight loss, but those were weekend trips and not all-inclusive ones, nor was I surrounded with endless food and drink.

So how did it go? Well, the lead up to the trip had a little fear-of-the-unknown going on. I worried that I would have nothing healthy-ish to eat and I'd strave, or, that I would eat everything I see like I did pre-wls.

Turns out there was nothing to worry about.

Was there a lack of healthy-ish choices? No. There were always choices everywhere I went that fit into my normal eating (salad, grilled chicken or some protein), whether it was on the resort or off it. So I didn't have to pack all those packages of beef Jerky, chicharron and Protein Powder, lol. The kids ended up eating my jerky and chicharron and I gave the Protein powders to a bartender.

Did I eat everything I saw? Yes and No. I did sample many things that I normally would not eat (I'm talking to you sugary Desserts, fruits and some bread-like products), but only bites, not full portions. My restriction took care of that. Also thanks to my restriction, I learned after the first day that I need to pick and choose what I want to sample, because I literally have no room to try everything (I had to hurl twice the first day due to eating too fast and too much). So I only tried the stuff I really wanted to, and if after sampling it, it was only OK tasting, I'd put it aside. Only really yummy stuff got a second or third bite. It's sobering to realize that a lot of stuff really only looks good, and just tastes meh.

However. I drank alot of alcohol. I did limit myself to maybe 5-6 mixed drinks of the super sugary kind (I'm talking to you pina coladas and margaritas) for the entire trip, but I was basically a bottomless pit for skinny mojitos and tequila shots.

Also, I formed an addiction to these mini chocolate chip Cookies that they served in the coffee bar. They were like a version of a not-so-sweet, not-so-buttery shortbread-type cookie with chocolate chips in them. They were about the size of poker chip and I swear I must have eaten at lest 10 of them a day. Along with 4-5 Americanos a day....

I did log everything I ate (to be best of my ability...I had to eyeball everything), and according to the stats, I averaged about 3000 calories a day over the last 8 days. And roughly half those average daily calories came from my cookie and alcohol consumption, yikes.

In all, despite the record-breaking calorie intake, I managed to weigh in exactly a mere 1 lb more than before I left. Which means I've at least found my upper calorie level, of sorts*

*Though I did run way more than usual though, as well as generally burn more cals what with all the walking/water sports/dancing/heat-enduring, so need to take that into account...

So what was the lesson learned? Well, that I'm not going to suddenly explode with massive weight gain if I indulge. But I WILL slowly gain weight back if the indulgence continues beyond a short period of time. 1lb a week over a year is 52 lbs. And that is not acceptable to me. So back to figuring out my sweet spot...

Edited by ms.sss

Welcome back! Glad you were able to cut loose and have fun! Sounds like a fabulous trip and loads of fun and activity!

Sounds like you had a great vacation @ms.sss.

It will be interesting to learn what your BMR ends up being. Curious to know if it's in the low 2K like mine.

"did sample many things .... but only bites, not full portions. My restriction took care of that. Also thanks to my restriction, I learned after the first day that I need to pick and choose what I want to sample, because I literally have no room to try everything ...So I only tried the stuff I really wanted to, and if after sampling it, it was only OK tasting, I'd put it aside. Only really yummy stuff got a second or third bite. It's sobering to realize that a lot of stuff really only looks good, and just tastes meh."

This is me as well

"I was basically a bottomless pit for skinny mojitos and tequila shots. beer, wine and vodka soda"

Also me 😂

I am officially in maintenance. Saw the surgeon today and they don’t want me to lose anymore weight. He is the nicest young guy, he is so excited at how well I’ve done. He and the nutritionist both suggested I gain a few pounds because of my age and health history (cancer). I explained why I don’t want to do that and he understood I was ignoring his advice.

Here is a video of him, he’s so cute I want to stick him in my pocket. (He reminds me of my oldest son)

Matthew Pittman

I am officially in maintenance. Saw the surgeon today and they don’t want me to lose anymore weight. He is the nicest young guy, he is so excited at how well I’ve done. He and the nutritionist both suggested I gain a few pounds because of my age and health history (cancer). I explained why I don’t want to do that and he understood I was ignoring his advice.
Here is a video of him, he’s so cute I want to stick him in my pocket. (He reminds me of my oldest son)

Congratulations!!!!![emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122] I sincerely can't wait for a moment like this!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m new to this thread. July 2011 had the sleeve, August 2011 had peg tube inserted, same month had a PE, December 2011had RNY, February 2012 had bowel rupture with complications. January 2018 had an Iron infusion. I started at 5’7” 260 pounds. I was down to way under weight at 130 by June 2012. A year later I tried to start gaining weight. Needless to say I was super depressed after all my complications. I had gotten up to 190, overeating on carbs, not getting my Protein. I didn’t try to completely loose weight with a good bariatric diet, but got down to 168 just not overeating any more. Then a few months ago I was ready to get back on track. I started logging my food intake, and started back at all the beginning bariatric diet. I was super strict on carbs and protein and around 600 calories a day with skipping Breakfast. I went to see my surgeon again after a six year break. That was 2 weeks ago. I weighed in at 146.6, he said a perfect weight for me. I’m still trying for 140, but have changed my diet again to protein only, and psyllium Fiber, surgeon orders. I asked about all the other nutrition. He said because of all my surgeries my body is unlike any others. So a normal bariatric diet is not ok. He put me back on the correct Multivitamins, and other supplements. So I’ve been following his guidelines. I am now lactose intolerant, any sugars or fats make me sick. So now I am eating only protein, drinking a gallon of Water a day. Still only able to eat about 800 to 1000 calories a day. In the last 2 weeks I’ve gained 3 pounds, don’t know how.

I am glad to see this thread. Long time vets to get tips and tricks from.