Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

Thank you for doing this thread. I just posted asking about Maintenance and didn’t see this before I did.

Ok, I can verify this with personal experience now: Once you let the carbs back in*, you start to crave/want/long for them. I actually contemplated fixing myself a bowl of Cereal (the sugary, NOT whole-wheaty kind) this morning. And I don't even have breakfasts! And I wasn't even hungry! WtF. I had to consciously make a genuine effort NOT to do it, which is like the first time I have ever had to do that in over 8 months. I left the kitchen and downed some Water instead.

*I had waaaaaaaaaay too many carbs on Sunday (both the good and not-so-good kind), and my lower abdomen still feels bloated/hard 2 days later. And despite this ick feeling, I still felt like I wanted/needed/had-to-have that cereal.

Am going to lay off the carbs for a few days and see if (1) my stomach deflates and (2) the annoying cravings go away. Then maybe later try to figure out which ones specifically cause me the most discomfort (though I already know dessert-sugar, fruit-sugar and mixed-drinks sugar are the big ones).

EDIT: I'm not trying to demonize carbs, btw...I know that many have no issue with them and can include in their diets no prob. I just find that for me, there has been a proven link with them and a general sense of ick or barfiness.

Edited by ms.sss

I avoid certain high carb foods because I know I like them too much and it can be a slippery slope. I still eat bread, however instead of sourdough or a really good French baguette, I’ll have 1 slice of Trader Joe’s ancient seed and grain bread or a corn tortilla to scratch that itch. I probably have a slice of bread or tortillas 4 days a week. I know I would have a super hard time if I cut out everything bread related.

I did have a slice of a really fresh baguette Saturday night and it was the best thing I’ve eaten in a long time. I was able to stop at 1 small piece so I feel good about that, however, I really wanted another piece on Sunday. I had it at a restaurant so I was safe at home!

Long story short, I’m ok with certain higher carb foods and I avoid or limit ones I gained weight with. I’m super close to maintenance and I’m getting a bit nervous.

Sugar begets Sugar...😁

But seriously sugar is additive

You may need to find the complex carbohydrate alternatives that suit your lifestyle. This is early in the game but consider long-term lifestyle. Have you ever tried:

Wheat berries, barley, bulgar in salads and Soups, hummus, quinoa, falafel, Beans, crispy broad bean Snacks or pure puffed spelt/rice as cereal, homemade alternative (almond coconut quinoa spelt kamut) flours flatbreads, crispbreads, sprouted grain loaves, etc...

Or if you really can't incorporate complex carbohydrates what about fats:

pure nut butters, oils for cooking/dressings (I actually use that coconut oil for my hair/skin😂), avocado, etc...

Hoping you find the balance 💜

20190702_092559.jpg

20190702_092308.jpg

20190702_092403.jpg

20190702_092447.jpg

20190702_092341.jpg

20190702_092421.jpg

20190702_093025.jpg

20190702_093114.jpg

20190702_092730.jpg

20190702_092747.jpg

20190702_093222.jpg

@GreenTealael, the variety of your pantry contents is impressive. Of your complex carb list, I've tired hummus, quinoa and some Beans (edamame, black, red), but all in tiny amounts so far, so no undesirable reactions to those yet. Haven't had anything resembling actual wheat-based bread though, unless you count a couple regular crackers I had with pate a couple months back...not sure I'm willing to go down that route. Though you reminded me that I have been meaning for some time to make some alt-flour based breads. Will attempt to make one tomorrow!

It took a couple weeks, but I think I am now better adjusted to seeing the larger daily overnight losses or gains. During my weight loss phase, I would gain or lose maybe a half to one pound overnight, and I was fine with seeing those small fluctuations. Since being in maintenance the daily fluctuations range from 0-3.5 lbs, and the occasional 3lbs gain/loss would freak me out. I've come to realize that this is normal and nothing to stress over.

The weight seems to be hovering around 118-120 on average these past couple weeks; I've gone down as far as 116 and gone up as high as 123, but those seem to be just those occasional fluctuations due to salt intake/time of month/pooping/big meal/don't-feel-like-eating/good sleep/bad sleep/etc days.

While the weight is seemingly stable-ish, I am continuing to lose inches. However.......I will not complain this time, because the inches seem to have gone mostly from my thighs and calves, which I am actually happy about..my butt and boobs were for the most part spared the past 2 scheduled measurement days (I still measure once per week).

Edited by ms.sss

I think maintenance is going to be tricky for me since I tend to lose slower. I have been a consistent 134.8-135.2 for 12 days even though I’m still eating 700-800 calories and exercising in loss mode. I’ll probably drop a pound in a few days, but I never really know. I’ve never measured myself, I just gauge how clothes fit.

I’m very close to my final goal of 132 and have no clear plan what to do when I get there other than gradual trial and error.

My 1 year follow up is in August, so hopefully I can talk to the dietician. The bariatric RD just had a baby so I will be seeing the imposter lol

1 hour ago, Cheeseburgh said:

I’m very close to my final goal of 132 and have no clear plan what to do when I get there other than gradual trial and error.

first, way to go, you are almost there!

second, trial and error seems to be the best strategy. I've been very anal about keeping track of everything and trying to notice trends and causalities...works for me so far.

3 hours ago, ms.sss said:

The weight seems to be hovering around 118-120 on average these past couple weeks; I've gone down as far as 116 and gone up as high as 123, but those seem to be just those occasional fluctuations due to salt intake/time of month/pooping/big meal/don't-feel-like-eating/good sleep/bad sleep/etc days.

Don't forget :

Protein intake, Greenhouse gas emissions, whaling industry,number of current political candidates × 3.14, tears cried per child ÷ children on earth, red tide, free donuts in the office, late night pharmacy trips, migration patterns of caribou, perfume sample sprayers, pay equality demonstrations, Retrograde motion of Mars and most of all final release date of John Wick 4

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Good point on the carbs. I used to do almost none, but when I would go for a run or other exercise I would get light headed and kind of shaky. The nutritionist had me start eating more carbs and that made a huge difference with energy level and endurance training exercise. I do try to have the carbs in the AM with the pastry being my largest carb intake of the day, usually i work out right after having that because it's an instant energy boost. If not working out I skip it
Sorry to dip in here but I've been feeling incredibly light headed/dizzy lately. I read thinking it had to do with Water intake but now I'm thinking it may be carbs. Did your NUT mention what a good carb ratio looks like?

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 07/02/2019 at 08:20, ms.sss said:

Ok, I can verify this with personal experience now: Once you let the carbs back in*, you start to crave/want/long for them. I actually contemplated fixing myself a bowl of cereal (the sugary, NOT whole-wheaty kind) this morning. And I don't even have breakfasts! And I wasn't even hungry! WtF. I had to consciously make a genuine effort NOT to do it, which is like the first time I have ever had to do that in over 8 months. I left the kitchen and downed some Water instead.

*I had waaaaaaaaaay too many carbs on Sunday (both the good and not-so-good kind), and my lower abdomen still feels bloated/hard 2 days later. And despite this ick feeling, I still felt like I wanted/needed/had-to-have that cereal.

Am going to lay off the carbs for a few days and see if (1) my stomach deflates and (2) the annoying cravings go away. Then maybe later try to figure out which ones specifically cause me the most discomfort (though I already know dessert-sugar, fruit-sugar and mixed-drinks sugar are the big ones).

EDIT: I'm not trying to demonize carbs, btw...I know that many have no issue with them and can include in their diets no prob. I just find that for me, there has been a proven link with them and a general sense of ick or barfiness.

On vacay, so I missed this

Although I’m non carb phobic, I do agree, the more carbs I eat and the more I eat in general, the more hungry I am. Like physical hunger, not just head hunger.

I’m fine with it at this point. I need to eat the calories in order to maintain. I’ll pull back when the scale starts creeping up.

I’m afraid I’m about to have an identity crisis. Who am I if I’m not losing weight? It has been such a big part of my life over the past 17 months or so.

How did you cope or switch gears?

I’m getting closer to goal weight and the idea of maintenance is terrifying. I know how to lose weight, but never keep it off permanently. I am following weight watchers, but I find I graze all day too. I stay in my calorie range plus do an hour of exercise a day. So I’ve steadily lost over 70 pounds in the last year. But as I get closer to my goal weight, I have to focus on how to keep steady. I eat small portions and snack on fruit, but my sweet tooth never went away after surgery.

I’m doing fine with eating, I don’t snack at all during the day. I do have a small snack before bed. My calories are still 700-800 a day, so I guess I’ll add 100 calories once I hit my goal weight of 132?

I’m one pound away from my goal and one day this week I’ll probably wake up and be there. I’m a slow loser so I have no idea when really. I work out 6-7 days a week. I have dialed it back from 1.5 hours a day to 30-45 minutes a day the past month to avoid burnout. I’m glad WW is working for you, I don’t do well with it.

Mentally changing gears is going to be hard for me.