Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

So after the not-so-successful jump from 600 to 1000 cals, I went down to 800 cals daily a week ago in attempt to slowly find my maintenance level.

Today I increase my calories to 900 a day (with macros set at 65g P, 56g F, 35g C for now).

The week at 800 still resulted in a loss of 1.9 lbs, which i sort of expected, but don't understand (the week when I was at 1000/day, i lost 2.5 lbs??)

As I said in an earlier post, I am no longer so occupied with the number on the scale but more so now about how small I am starting to look/am looking to myself. This continues to be an issue, and my level of sagginess seems to have increased at a faster rate these last few pounds.

Now, my newest concern is my reported body fat percentage. I have one of those scales that measure all that, and while I know that it fluctuates greatly depending on Water retention and recent exercise activity, but for the past week I'd say I averaged about 19%. Now, I am not what someone would say is a "fit" person (where a "fit" woman averages 21-24%), so this gives me some pause. I mean, according to what I've read, I should be at 25-32% for a normal/average woman.

What are your fat percentages? And do you put any importance on this statistic to yourselves, personally?

1 hour ago, ms.sss said:

So after the not-so-successful jump from 600 to 1000 cals, I went down to 800 cals daily a week ago in attempt to slowly find my maintenance level.

Today I increase my calories to 900 a day (with macros set at 65g P, 56g F, 35g C for now).

The week at 800 still resulted in a loss of 1.9 lbs, which i sort of expected, but don't understand (the week when I was at 1000/day, i lost 2.5 lbs??)

As I said in an earlier post, I am no longer so occupied with the number on the scale but more so now about how small I am starting to look/am looking to myself. This continues to be an issue, and my level of sagginess seems to have increased at a faster rate these last few pounds.

Now, my newest concern is my reported body fat percentage. I have one of those scales that measure all that, and while I know that it fluctuates greatly depending on Water retention and recent exercise activity, but for the past week I'd say I averaged about 19%. Now, I am not what someone would say is a "fit" person (where a "fit" woman averages 21-24%), so this gives me some pause. I mean, according to what I've read, I should be at 25-32% for a normal/average woman.

What are your fat percentages? And

but don't understand (the week when I was at 1000/day, I lost 2.5 lbs??

1000 calories is still your weight loss calories. 2.5 loss is because your body needs more calories. See article below.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20140529/fast-weight-loss-may-mean-muscle-loss

What are your fat percentages?

I consume enough calories to build muscle mass. my body fat percentage is in the 19-24 zone. I'm athletic in the fit/lean zone.

do you put any importance on this statistic to yourselves, personally? 

I put importance on my goal of healthy. I don’t pay attention to my body fat percentage.

Many of us lose muscle with rapid weight loss. There is a difference between a low body fat percentage with burnt muscle and with muscle mass. My personal experience after goal, I continued to exercise and not consume enough calories. The result was I burnt muscle and dropped to the 120’s. (not a healthy look for me)

Here is the maintance meal plan off of the bariatric pal website:

https://store.bariatricpal.com/pages/meal-plans-for-one-week-for-a-weight-loss-maintenance-diet

Meal Plans for One Week for a Weight Loss Maintenance Diet

Congratulations on getting to goal weight! Now your goal is to stay at this weight and prevent weight regain. This meal plan can help you do that.

Sample Daily Pattern: 3 meals, 3 snacks

Sample Meal Plan for Week 1, Sample Day 1

Breakfast
Cheesy Garden Scramble with 2 large eggs, 1 ounce cheddar cheese, chives, 1 cup diced tomatoes, and ¼ cup avocado slices (350 calories, 22 grams protein)
Morning Snack
1 cup fat-free Greek yogurt with 1 cup raw vegetables (your choice, such as broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, celery, snow peas, etc.) (130 calories, 14 grams protein)
Lunch
BariatricPal Protein Soup – Broccoli and Cheddar with an extra 1 cup cooked chopped broccoli and 1 ounce shredded cheese;BariatricPal Lite Bites (360 calories, 33 grams protein) 1 ounce cheddar cheese (190 calories, 22 grams protein)
Afternoon Snack
1 large apple plus 1 ounce walnuts (300 calories, 5 grams protein)
Dinner
Stuffed eggplant with 1 medium eggplant, 4 ounces ground turkey (or beef or soy crumbles), 1/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs, Italian seasoning; 1 ounce mozzarella cheese melted on top; ½ cup Tomato sauce (520 calories, 35 grams protein)
Evening Snack
Kay’s Naturals Protein Cookie Bites – Mocha Espresso (120 calories, 12 grams protein)
Totals: 1780 calories, 121 grams protein

Sample Meal Plan for Week 1, Sample Day 2

Breakfast
BariatricPal Hot Protein Breakfast – Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal made with skim milk; 2 tablespoons peanut (or almond) butter (380 calories, 30 grams protein)
Morning Snack
Quest Nutrition Protein BarCookies and Cream (180 calories, 21 grams protein)
Lunch
“Naked Burrito Bowl” with ½ cup nonfat refried Beans, 3 ounces shredded chicken breast with taco seasoning, 1 cup shredded lettuce, ½ cup diced tomatoes, 2 tablespoons salsa, ¼ cup guacamole (360 calories, 33 grams protein)
Afternoon Snack
1 medium pear plus 1 ounce blue cheese (200 calories, 7 grams protein)
Dinner
4 ounces broiled salmon with rosemary and lemon; ½ cup brown rice; 1 cup roasted bell pepper strips with 2 teaspoons olive oil (450 calories, 29 grams protein)
Evening Snack
BariatricPal Protein Desserts – Creamy Cheesecake (120 calories, 12 grams protein)
Totals: 1690 calories, 132 grams protein

Sample Meal Plan for Week 1, Sample Day 3

Breakfast
Protein shake with 1 cup kale, ½ large banana, 1 container low-sugar nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons Peanut Butter or PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter, 1 cup skim milk (370 calories, 33 grams protein)
Morning Snack
2 hard-boiled eggs (160 calories, 12 grams protein)
Lunch
Wrap on a low-carb, high-fiber tortilla spread with 2 tablespoons hummus; filling includes 3 ounces grilled chicken, 1 cup raw veggies (such as lettuce, sliced mushrooms, chopped tomatoes, etc.), 1 ounce shredded or sliced provolone cheese, 2 tablespoons sliced black olives (400 calories, 39 grams protein)
Afternoon Snack
1 cup Greek yogurt with 1 cup blueberries and BariatricPal Cinnamon Crunch Protein Cereal (290 calories, 23 grams protein)
Dinner
BariatricPal Beef and Bean Enchilada; ¼ cup guacamole; 1 ounce cheddar or jack cheese; 2 cups lettuce and chopped vegetables (such as tomatoes, mushrooms, cucumbers); 2 tablespoons fat-free dressing (460 calories, 21 grams protein)
Evening Snack
Hot Cocoa with Marshmallows (80 calories, 15 grams protein)
Totals: 1760 calories, 143 calories

Sample Meal Plan for Week 1, Sample Day 4

Breakfast
Omelet made with 2 large eggs, 1 cup sliced mushrooms, fresh basil, and 1 ounce Swiss cheese (310 calories, 20 grams protein)
Morning Snack
½ cup cottage cheese; 2 tablespoons sunflower seed kernels (170 calories, 16 grams protein)
Lunch
BariatricPal Beef Stroganoff; 1 cup grapes (360 calories, 21 grams protein)
Afternoon Snack
Turkey roll-ups with 3 ounces turkey breast spread with 3 tablespoons cream cheese mixed with ½ cup diced apple (290 calories, 18 grams protein)
Dinner
Veggie burger patty; 1 whole grain hamburger bun; 2 tablespoons hummus (spread on bun); 1 medium sweet potato baked into fries (baked with 2 teaspoons olive oil) (440 calories, 20 grams protein)
Evening Snack
BariatricPal Protein oatmeal Cookie with Vanilla Drizzle (170 calories, 15 grams protein)
Totals: 1740 calories, 110 grams protein

Sample Meal Plan for Week 1, Sample Day 5

Breakfast
BariatricPal 35g Protein Shake Meal Replacement – Strawberry (240 calories, 35 grams protein)
Morning Snack
1 container vanilla Greek yogurt with Kay’s Naturals Protein Cereal – Honey Almond and ½ banana (290 calories, 26 grams protein)
Lunch
¼ acorn squash baked with 2 teaspoons olive oil; ½ cup cooked quinoa mixed with ½ ounce chopped pistachios and 1 ounce parmesan cheese (390 calories, 16 grams protein)
Afternoon Snack
1 cup carrots; 2 tablespoons peanut butter (240 calories, 8 grams protein)
Dinner
4 ounces lean ground turkey topped with 1 ounce cheddar cheese; 1 cup cooked spinach; 1 medium apple (370 calories, 28 grams protein)
Evening Snack
BariatricPal strawberry Cheesecake Protein Bar (160 calories, 12 grams protein)
Totals: 1690 calories, 115 grams protein

Sample Meal Plan for Week 1, Sample Day 6

Breackfast
BariatricPal Hot Protein Breakfast – Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal made with skim milk; 2 tablespoons chopped pecans (280 calories, 23 grams protein)
Morning Snack
1 cheese stick (string cheese); ½ cup shelled edamame (green soybeans) (270 calories, 24 grams protein)
Lunch
BariatricPal Vegetable Lasagna; 1 ounce melted mozzarella; 1 cup cooked cauliflower or broccoli (340 calories, 20 grams protein)
Afternoon Snack
1 ounce almonds; (290 calories, 18 grams protein)
Dinner
1 cup chili made with garbanzo, pinto, and black beans, diced celery and onions, stewed tomatoes, and chili seasoning; ½ cup cooked barley; 1 cup roasted beet root (350 calories, 15 grams protein)
Evening Snack
Chocolate Chip with chocolate Drizzle Cookie (170 calories, 15 grams protein)
Totals: 1700 calories, 115 grams protein

Sample Meal Plan for Week 1, Sample Day 7

Breakfast
1 container nonfat Greek yogurt; BariatricPal Protein Cereal – Cinnamon Vanilla; ½ cup honeydew melon (260 calories, 28 grams protein)
Morning Snack
5 cup tuna with 1 serving Moon Cheese (160 calories, 25 grams protein)
Lunch
BariatricPal Protein Soup – Cream of Vegetable cooked with ½ cup pinto, kidney, or garbanzo beans and ½ cup mixed vegetables; Kay’s Natural Protein chips – Crispy Parmesan (330 calories, 36 grams protein)
Afternoon Snack
1 banana; 2 tablespoons peanut butter (300 calories, 8 grams protein)
Dinner
Dinner scramble with 1 cup tofu, 1 cup veggies, 1 ounce cashew pieces, and 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce stir-fried in 2 teaspoons sesame oil (420 calories, 17 grams protein)
Evening Snack
Chocolate Protein Wafers (200 calories, 15 grams protein)
Totals: 1670 calories, 129 grams protein

Sample Meal Plan for Week 2, Sample Day 1

Breakfast
1 packet BariatricPal Oatmealwith 2 tablespoons pecans and ½ cup diced apple plus cinnamon. Or other Healthy Breakfast
Morning Snack
Afternoon Snack
1 bag Protein Chipsor Protein Pretzelswith two tablespoons hummus
Dinner
Cheese Steak Macaroni1 cup steamed green beans with 2 tablespoons sliced almonds or other Healthy Dinner
Evening Snack

Sample Meal Plan for Week 2, Sample Day 2

Breakfast
Vegetable Omelettopped with 1 ounce shredded cheese, served and with 2 ounce turkey (or vegetarian) breakfast sausage links or other Healthy Breakfast
Morning Snack
Pancakes with Carbquik Baking Mixand 2 tablespoons of PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter
Lunch
Salad with fresh spinach leaves, 3 ounces grilled skinless chicken breast, 1 cup sliced strawberries, 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, 2 tablespoons light raspberry vinaigrette dressing or other Healthy Lunch
Afternoon Snack
or another flavor of Quest Protein Bar
Dinner
4 ounces of broiled salmon, 1 cup baked sweet potato fries made with olive oil, and 1 cup of steamed broccoli or other Healthy Dinner
Evening Snack
Creamy CheeseCake
This is a very low calorie diet. Use only
under the supervision of your doctor.

This diet gives you about 1200-1400 calories per day. You may need more calories, especially if you are a man, if you are a taller person, or if you are especially active.If you need more calories, you can add in extra Snacks. Go for protein and nutrition! Here are some suggestions for healthy snacks. Each has 150 to 250 calories, and at least 10 grams of protein.

• 1 ounce Turkey Jerky plus ½ apple
  • 1 BariatricPal 10 g Protein Bar
  • 1 cup edamame (green soybeans) plus 1 ounce low-fat cheese
  • 1 cup celery sticks plus 2 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 1 package BariatricPal Protein pretzels plus 2 tablespoons hummus

59 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

What are your fat percentages? And do you put any importance on this statistic to yourselves, personally?

I think you may need to go way higher than 800-1000 cals to stop your losses.

As far as losing more weight after a week of eating higher cals, I know I see a pretty significant lag between cals/exercise and the scale. It's usually 3-4 days until I see the effect of either low cal and/or high activity days, and high cal off the rails days.

Yes, the physical changes from 140 ish to 125/130 were dramatic for me. It was good for my clothed self, but hugely negative for my naked self. I lost two cup sizes. I'm still resentful of that!

I can't speak to the body fat scale (mine has error-ed out since I bought it). I would probably take it with a grain of salt though, knowing how inaccurate they are. I would focus on how you look and feel. As you said, that 19% doesn't fit with what google tells you it should be. I would weigh being right in the middle of your healthy weight BMI a lot more heavily than that scale reading.

@ms.sss

In your experience starting maintenance mode, What would you say to people approaching goal

• Is transitioning into maintenance what you thought it would be?
  • How easy has it been to “break the weight loss mode rules”?
  • Did you ever think you would struggle to eat more after being obese?
  • Do you have some fear/anxiety about food, continued weight loss or gain?

31 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

I'm going to have to work my way up to these amounts of food, I don't think I can come close to that volume at this time...

...although these are good snack ideas to add to the arsenal! TY :1007_hearts:...

(i'm off to google some more snack ideas now :) )

32 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:
  • 1 cup edamame (green soybeans) plus 1 ounce low-fat cheese
  • 1 cup celery sticks plus 2 tablespoons Peanut Butter
  • 1 package BariatricPal Protein pretzels plus 2 tablespoons hummus

34 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

Yes, the physical changes from 140 ish to 125/130 were dramatic for me. It was good for my clothed self, but hugely negative for my naked self. I lost two cup sizes. I'm still resentful of that!

:57_cry::57_cry::57_cry::57_cry::57_cry::57_cry::57_cry::57_cry::57_cry::57_cry::57_cry::57_cry: Me too.

3 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

I'm going to have to work my way up to these amounts of food, I don't think I can come close to that volume at this time...

...although these are good snack ideas to add to the arsenal! TY :1007_hearts:...

(i'm off to google some more snack ideas now :) )

8 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

1 cup celery sticks plus 2 tablespoons Peanut Butter

Skip the celery , it will take up stomach space. 4 table spoons of jiffy peanut butter 380 calories.

59 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

Skip the celery , it will take up stomach space. 4 table spoons of jiffy peanut butter 380 calories.

I like Crazy Richard's PB no added sugar, just peanuts (incase sugar affects you poorly)

https://www.crazyrichards.com/product/creamy-peanut-butter/

My body fat is around 27 (measured from a couple of months ago)

@ms.sss your carbs are still (keto level?) low, you may continue to lose with those macros

@sillykitty during my drop from the 170s to the 150s my looks fell apart too 😥 when i got down to 150 i looked absolutely gaunt. I look decent at 155, I'm still mad i can't spot target weightloss

@Healthy_life2 thanks for the meal plans... I am totally interested in switching things up a little

On 6/3/2019 at 8:39 AM, ms.sss said:

I'll go first:

I am currently in the process of easing into maintenance myself and am a little at a loss of how to actually do it. My initial plan was to increase my calories every week or so, in hopes of finding that caloric sweet spot, but I am finding it a little difficult for a few reasons:

First, my ability to actually eat more in terms of volume is a challenge. I feel like I am spending way too much time eating, and I find that I'm basically grazing and I don't think this is a good strategy.

Second, I am having a mental challenge of allowing myself to eat more foods higher in fat/carbs. Switching from ultra-restriction to a more moderate intake of these macros is a mind-f*ck.

Third, the combination of the above two issues result in me still losing weight. Even though I have increased my calories to about 1000 this past week, I still lost 2.5 lbs. I knew I wouldn't be able to just stop losing weight on a dime, but I figured it would at least slow down significantly due to the calorie increase. Which leads me to believe I need to address my macro distribution, and I am apprehensive (and unsure) of how to go about this.

So how did y'all do it??

Ms.sss,

I'm nowhere near maintenance (2.5 weeks post-op) but love reading where everyone is at in their journey & so scanned this thread & now I've been thinking about it ALL DAY. I think you said it takes you an hour to eat a meal? And you're struggling to get above 800 calories? At 2.5 weeks it takes me 10 min to eat a meal and I could easily eat 1,000 calories. (I don't, because I'm trying to keep the calories as low as possible as long as possible). I guess I'm both fascinated that it takes you that long to eat & terrified of my own future if it's already this easy for me to eat this close to my surgery date. And I'm really curious what exactly you eat that takes an hour? Is it something dense? A half sandwhich? I I'm still in soft foods which are all so easy for me. Yogurt, eggs, veggies, ground meats, cheese. I can eat 4oz without issue. And I'm getting 65oz of Water a day. I'm actually at 60oz of water & 600 calories today & it's only 6pm.

I hope these questions don't sound rude because it's not my intention at all. I just can't get this off my mind. I scour these threads & see people saying they're 8 months out & can't get down a 1/4 cup of food & I'm like... maybe my surgeon only removed half my stomach because I am already more fine than I'd like to be. If that makes any sense at all.

3 hours ago, Healthy_life2 said:

@ms.sss

In your experience starting maintenance mode, What would you say to people approaching goal

Hecks NO. For some reason, even though I was apprehensive about it, I thought it would come easier. I mean how hard is it to stop losing weight? I was a pro at it, based on previous experience. In my case, I didn't get to ease into it so I think its part of my problem. If I had done this the way I originally planned, I would have started easing into maintenance (i.e., increasing cals, etc) BEFORE I got to goal weight, so it would have been more of a slowdown to stop vs trying to stop something in already in cruise control dead in its tracks. I really don't want to lose any more weight/get smaller so I have slight anxiety about stopping the weight loss immediately.

I think Im still adhering to my "weight loss rules" actually. I mean, I still weigh and portion and track my food, eat protein-forwardy, drink lots of Water, wait to drink after eating, take my vites, refrain from eating past 7pm, limit carbs, stay away from pasta/rice/bread/added sugar, etc. The only thing I'm doing differently now is I increased my carbs a smidgen and I allowed myself a couple bites of a full-blown dessert the other day (though I paid the price for it, I think, by an unfortunate bout of barfing). Oh, and allow myself more liquor ;)

OMG. the fact that I am having trouble eating MORE is a mind-trip. The fact that I actually think I'm too small is unbelievable sometimes. But I think, at least right now, this struggle is a lot easier to handle, physically and mentally, than the struggle of being obese. If I had to choose between the two, I would take this current struggle over that one Every. Single. Time.

I do have some anxiety about the continued weight loss. I really do not want to lose anymore, and I am putting pressure on myself to find my "level" asap so it stops already. And you know what, I also have some back-of-my-mind anxiety about future weight gain. Geez. I think I need some time to get used to where I am right now and trust that I am doing the right thing and I can relax. Honestly, the weight loss was pretty quick and I don't think I've had enough time yet to "acclimate". I still see my reflection sometimes when I'm just walking around and don't recognize myself.

I probably also have an unhealthy fear of carbs. May or may not be a good thing.

2 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

I like Crazy Richard's PB no added sugar, just peanuts (incase sugar affects you poorly)

https://www.crazyrichards.com/product/creamy-peanut-butter/

I do suspect sugar affects me poorly...(but that hasn't stopped me from adding a tsp of regular Peanut Butter from my cupboards into my chia pudding!) thanks for the tip though, I think I would feel better eating something more natural-ish.

2 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

your carbs are still (keto level?) low, you may continue to lose with those macros

Yeah, I know. :( I think I have FOC (Fear of Carbs) and need to work to get over it. Next week when/if I up my cals to 1000, I will up my carbs as well another 5-10g. Yeah, its probably still not enough, but at least its going up, right???

@JanJan19 :

No worries, its not rude at all :)

First, I have to say the obligatory "everyone is different" disclaimer. Our WLS experiences will differ greatly and while reading about other's experiences can be helpful/informative, it can also be just the opposite if we try to align our own experiences/expectations with another's.

With that said, to answer your question:

1 hour ago, JanJan19 said:

And I'm really curious what exactly you eat that takes an hour? Is it something dense? A half sandwhich? I I'm still in soft foods which are all so easy for me. Yogurt, eggs, veggies, ground meats, cheese. I can eat 4oz without issue. And I'm getting 65oz of Water a day. I'm actually at 60oz of Water & 600 calories today & it's only 6pm.

I normally eat some sort of Protein (usually 2-2.5 oz of grilled chicken, sometimes steak chunks, or sometimes something seafood) with salad (usually just leaves of something, with cucumber and 0.5-1 oz of cheese). Lately I've been getting fancy with my salads by adding fruit or nuts. I can probably eat anything, really, but I don't. Also, what I do eat is just in small amounts.

I had always had to eat slowly since I started solid foods. I learned early on if I didn't, I would get over full before I realized it, and I would get uncomfortable (read: be in pain) real fast and if I ignore the discomfort, I'd be barfing soon after. So I guess I've been conditioned to eat this way.

I've also been one of the fortunate ones who don't really feel hungry. This has been both a good thing (helped me to lose weight) and a bad thing (I often find eating a chore). Not sure how long this will last though.

But like I said we are all so different and I don't know if what I go through will be anything like what you or anyone else goes through. What I do know though, from reading enough of this forum, that if you are honest about sticking to your plan, we all end up at the same place eventually.

♥️

Love this thread! I’ve had a hard time finding others who are maintaining. Like some of you weight loss was quick and despite adding calories, I have continued losing. Last couple weeks I’ve averaged 1200-1400 cal a day. It does feel like you’re eating all day!
I’ve been trying lately to add an extra Protein Shake each day to up calories with less volume.
Any other ideas? Dietician did say add healthy fats and use things like mayo and sauces more. SW 204 GW 150 CW 123 5’7”

On 6/12/2019 at 9:43 PM, LynnV1964 said:

Any other ideas?

I've added stuff like avocados, nuts (walnuts, brazil nuts) & nut butters, seeds (chia, pumpkin), and edamame in attempts to increase calories.

Just now, ms.sss said:

I've added stuff like avocados, nuts (walnuts, brazil nuts) & nut butters, seeds (chia, pumpkin), and edamame in attempts to increase calories.

Though I haven't seen the effects of this yet as I still really need to up my calories more. I've been at 900 cal/day since last Wednesday which hasn't really had any effect on stopping the weight loss, which I sort of expected. *sigh*.

I was at a party on Friday, and there was all sorts of food in abundance, and yet I still could not bring myself to eat items that were "off plan" even though I knew it would've been ok. I mean, I ate, I just ate the "healthier" stuff over the non-so-healthy stuff. Sometimes I wonder if I have a complex, or if this is just they way I eat now. *shrugs*.

P.S. at this party my mother-in-law told me I need to gain some weight back because I have gotten too thin. While I may agree with her, I don't like her telling me so! *clenches fists*