Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

So thought I'd start this thread for those who are currently in maintenance (or are trying to be :) ), there are not as many active maintenance-ers on here, but I'm hoping for the ones that are, they can chime in and impart their wisdom for those are trying to achieve that coveted balance of weight stability.

...or we can just chat about whatever. LOL.

I'll go first:

I am currently in the process of easing into maintenance myself and am a little at a loss of how to actually do it. My initial plan was to increase my calories every week or so, in hopes of finding that caloric sweet spot, but I am finding it a little difficult for a few reasons:

First, my ability to actually eat more in terms of volume is a challenge. I feel like I am spending way too much time eating, and I find that I'm basically grazing and I don't think this is a good strategy.

Second, I am having a mental challenge of allowing myself to eat more foods higher in fat/carbs. Switching from ultra-restriction to a more moderate intake of these macros is a mind-f*ck.

Third, the combination of the above two issues result in me still losing weight. Even though I have increased my calories to about 1000 this past week, I still lost 2.5 lbs. I knew I wouldn't be able to just stop losing weight on a dime, but I figured it would at least slow down significantly due to the calorie increase. Which leads me to believe I need to address my macro distribution, and I am apprehensive (and unsure) of how to go about this.

So how did y'all do it??

I’m following this because I’m going to need it in a month or 2, the idea of maintenance scares me.

5 minutes ago, Cheeseburgh said:

I’m following this because I’m going to need it in a month or 2, the idea of maintenance scares me.

One or two months? Looks like you are less than 2 lbs from goal weight. You'll get there waaaaay faster than you think!

Edited by ms.sss

Just now, ms.sss said:

One or two months? Looks like you are less than 2 lbs from goal weight. You'll get there waaaaay faster than you think!

140 is my first goal, I plan on going lower once I hit that one. I need wiggle room.

6 hours ago, ms.sss said:

I'll go first:

I am currently in the process of easing into maintenance myself and am a little at a loss of how to actually do it. My initial plan was to increase my calories every week or so, in hopes of finding that caloric sweet spot, but I am finding it a little difficult for a few reasons:

First, my ability to actually eat more in terms of volume is a challenge. I feel like I am spending way too much time eating, and I find that I'm basically grazing and I don't think this is a good strategy.

Second, I am having a mental challenge of allowing myself to eat more foods higher in fat/carbs. Switching from ultra-restriction to a more moderate intake of these macros is a mind-f*ck.

Third, the combination of the above two issues result in me still losing weight. Even though I have increased my calories to about 1000 this past week, I still lost 2.5 lbs. I knew I wouldn't be able to just stop losing weight on a dime, but I figured it would at least slow down significantly due to the calorie increase. Which leads me to believe I need to address my macro distribution, and I am apprehensive (and unsure) of how to go about this.

So how did y'all do it??

5 hours ago, Cheeseburgh said:

140 is my first goal, I plan on going lower once I hit that one. I need wiggle room.

Congrats on getting to maintenance. Glad you both can support others as they hit this phase.

I understand how you are feeling about the transition. My head space was the same when I hit goal. It’s hard to let go of the bariatric weight loss rules.

I hit goal early. my restriction was still great at that time. I recommend grazing to increase your calories. It is a good strategy. You may feel like you are eating all day long, it’s ok. Did you ever think you would be wishing to get more food and calories in after surgery? Your sleeve restriction may become less as you progress out. Hopefully that will make things easier.

Your still losing weight at 1000 calories. Keep working to increase them My dietician had me increase carbs to stop my weight loss. It was a chore to get my calories in.

My fear of weight regain was not at a healthy level. It took some time to relax and trust myself. I know I can maintain my ten-pound weight bounce range up and down the scale.

***Big edit*** I’m not suggesting anyone eat 3000 or anything over your maintenance calories. 3000 calories was a one-time thing for me. Not to be done again.

This may be hard to relate at this point. It’s a bit crazy how much I can eat at five years out. I’ve had times where I can eat 3000 calories grazing with no sugar in my diet. I never thought that would be possible after surgery. Knowing that my restriction is less, I must be mindful.

I'm here because I need to learn the right eating habit. I feel and look great where I am but getting comfortable with 20 to go is still a goal.

hi @Healthy_life2, so glad to have you pop in...was hoping you would since you are one of the successful long term maintenance-ers who are active here!

1 hour ago, Healthy_life2 said:

I recommend grazing to increase your calories. It is a good strategy. You may feel like you are eating all day long, it’s ok.

I think I have resigned myself to the fact that this is what I have to do (for now). Now what about Water consumption? I assume this grazing strategy combined with the 30 min wait to drink will lower my overall water intake. At 5 yrs out, do you still wait to drink after eating?

As for the carbs increase, I don't think I'm mentally ready to do that yet (at least not significantly). Like you, I think I have an unhealthy fear of regain at the moment. I am banking on the fact that I will get over this mental block as I get further out...

I got up over 1000 kcal about a year after surgery but continued to lose weight (albeit slowly) until I was around 18-20 months out. I started increasing my calories then to find my sweet spot, since my body fat percentage was getting too low (I knew this because I'd had a DEXAscan) - I knew it was time to enter maintenance. It's hard to increase calories, though. I never thought when I was in weight loss mode that I could eat more than 1500 kcal a day tops, but I maintain on about 1700 (which is what I aim for every day) - and obviously, I did eventually make it up there. Just add around 100 kcal a day (maybe by adding a healthy fat - like a tablespoon of peanut butter) and wait a couple weeks to see if it makes a difference. If not, then add another 100 kcal. Rinse and repeat. You do have to go gradually, because going from like 1000 to 1500 or more calories a day would be tough.

P.S. I just saw the reply about Water. Yep - you'll have to wait at least 30 minutes before drinking for the rest of your life.

I'm also struggling a bit, too. These comments are helpful. I've slipped to 118. I want to get back to about 123 but it really is a struggle to PUT weight ON. Especially since I just had bloodwork, physical, etc., and everything indicates I'm super health. Even so, the Doctors, my husband, my friends are on me about weight. It's hard to know what I look like (heathy, fat, frail) because I ave a very dysmorphic view of myself.

In any case, your comments about gaining are extremely helpful.

IMG_3929.JPG

Love this thread! Thanks for starting it!!!

Congrats to all you maintainers and near maintainers!!! Wooot!!!

I will be eagerly following to glean wisdom and tips from your experience!

WTG everyone! 🍾

53 minutes ago, Screwballski said:

I'm also struggling a bit, too. These comments are helpful. I've slipped to 118. I want to get back to about 123 but it really is a struggle to PUT weight ON. Especially since I just had bloodwork, physical, etc., and everything indicates I'm super health. Even so, the Doctors, my husband, my friends are on me about weight. It's hard to know what I look like (heathy, fat, frail) because I ave a very dysmorphic view of myself.

IMG_3929.JPG

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry you are struggling to gain. What is the weight you feel your healthiest at?

I also have a bit of not seeing myself correctly.

I maintain the same ten pounds up and down the scale. I can gain or lose ten pounds and wear the same size clothing. My head will view a ten-pound gain as I’m obese…it’s not reality. I’ve had comments that I’m looking too thin or stop losing weight. It messes with my mind because I can’t see what they see. I’m a healthy BMI many people don’t know what a healthy BMI looks like.

1 hour ago, Screwballski said:

How long have you been below your desired weight?